Popular Tags: [View All]
troy jones
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least two Incantations have a card effect that says something like, "reveal the top card of your deck and generate [white or black magic symbol] equal to the magic value [i.e. big circle in the upper left] of the revealed card". (I don't have the game in front of me, so can't give the exact wording of the effect or name of the cards in question, but hopefully that is clear.)

The effect itself seems straightforward enough, but my question is, what is done with the revealed card afterward? Is it discarded along with your hand, or is it returned to where it was on top of your deck? Neither the rulebook (that I could find) nor the card effect text itself specify what to do with a card that has been revealed in this fashion, and a case could be made either way based on common sense and/or how other deck-builders work, but I want to know what the intent of this game is. We (my brothers and I) have been discarding the cards revealed with this effect, but I am starting to lean toward thinking that they are supposed to be top-decked instead.

Related question (though I am pretty sure I know the answer): we have been playing that cards revealed as above do not have any other effect beyond what is explicitly stated by the card effect that caused it to be revealed. Meaning, the revealed card cannot use its own card text, does not open anyone's sigils, and cannot be aethered for potential to power a lightning card in hand. Is this correct? (99% sure we are doing it right, but would definitely want to know in case not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shannon
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
trojo wrote:
At least two Incantations have a card effect that says something like, "reveal the top card of your deck and generate [white or black magic symbol] equal to the magic value [i.e. big circle in the upper left] of the revealed card". (I don't have the game in front of me, so can't give the exact wording of the effect or name of the cards in question, but hopefully that is clear.)

The effect itself seems straightforward enough, but my question is, what is done with the revealed card afterward? Is it discarded along with your hand, or is it returned to where it was on top of your deck? Neither the rulebook (that I could find) nor the card effect text itself specify what to do with a card that has been revealed in this fashion, and a case could be made either way based on common sense and/or how other deck-builders work, but I want to know what the intent of this game is. We (my brothers and I) have been discarding the cards revealed with this effect, but I am starting to lean toward thinking that they are supposed to be top-decked instead.

Related question (though I am pretty sure I know the answer): we have been playing that cards revealed as above do not have any other effect beyond what is explicitly stated by the card effect that caused it to be revealed. Meaning, the revealed card cannot use its own card text, does not open anyone's sigils, and cannot be aethered for potential to power a lightning card in hand. Is this correct? (99% sure we are doing it right, but would definitely want to know in case not).

Thanks for asking!
The card is left on top of your deck. And you are correct, the card, only grants what the card revealing says (it’s white or black magic value).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.