Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen people occasionally imply that there is a benefit to playing the scenarios in the order they were released, but am uncertain whether this is a valid commentary, or one based on wishful thinking (i.e. that some macro narrative would emerge to tie everything together).

Thoughts?

I've played the first two scenarios, but am considering playing with a new group. Starting over with Asylum wouldn't be the worst thing, especially since we never finished it (came close, but not 100%). However, I own every single expansions.. and my partner wants to try the Dragon Prophecy one.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Pluntky
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the actual order?

T.I.M.E Stories: The Marcy Case (2015)
T.I.M.E Stories: Under the Mask (2016)
T.I.M.E Stories: A Prophecy of Dragons (2016)
T.I.M.E Stories: Santo Tomás de Aquino (2017)
T.I.M.E Stories: Lumen Fidei (2017)
T.I.M.E Stories: Expedition – Endurance (2017)
T.I.M.E Stories: Estrella Drive (2017)
T.I.M.E Stories: Frères de la Côte (2018)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asylum is obviously in there as well, unless you're presuming it is 'first'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Endurance was after Prophecy.
Then Lumen Fidei
Then Estrella Drive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Pluntky
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so is this the correct order?

T.I.M.E Stories: Brotherhood of the Coast (2018)

Are any of the fan-made expansions worth a play? (sorry for hijacking the thread) =D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Prophecy of Dragons was published before Under the Mask. I recall reading that the first three scenarios were originally going to be included with the base game but the publisher decided to split them out. Presumably you could then play any of these three in whatever order you chose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
I've seen people occasionally imply that there is a benefit to playing the scenarios in the order they were released, but am uncertain whether this is a valid commentary, or one based on wishful thinking (i.e. that some macro narrative would emerge to tie everything together).

It's not wishful thinking, there is an overarching story, we're just not sure what it is. There are things to discover in the scenarios that will lead you to more of that story on the Internet, and even there it branches somewhat depending on your decisions in the mission.

You can play the scenarios in any order you choose, you won't lose much except a few "cool!" moments when you might come across something that references an earlier mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
Scooperman wrote:
You can play the scenarios in any order you choose, you won't lose much except a few "cool!" moments when you might come across something that references an earlier mission.

I've played every scenario multiple times except Estrella Drive (we're playing that tomorrow) and anything after that, and I don't think I've noticed these references. (Or, if I have, I can't remember what they were. Usually we're playing scenarios months apart, though.) So, to me, the order isn't real important.

Anarchosyn wrote:
my partner wants to try the Dragon Prophecy one.

That one was one of my favorites; I don't think I would do that one first, because I feel like you want to have played a learning game. That way you can just focus on what's happening in the game without having to worry about how to play. (And it's neat to have an earlier mission to compare to.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobi Wagner
Germany
Ludwigsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
binnet wrote:
Are any of the fan-made expansions worth a play? (sorry for hijacking the thread) =D

I think that Switching Gears (fan expansion for T.I.M.E Stories) and Black Knight (fan expansion for T.I.M.E Stories) are really awesome. And I quite liked Chasing Eden (fan expansion for T.I.M.E Stories). So I'd recommend to play these three fan-made scenarios at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
binnet wrote:
Okay so is this the correct order?

The correct order is listed on the left side of this Asmodee page:
https://asmodee.us/en/games/time-stories-core-set-asylum/

T.I.M.E Stories: Base (Asylum) (2015)

Unfortunately after trying several ways, I couldn't get BGG to spit out this order. Oh well. I thought I remembered BGG was starting to put a Month first available along with year published... but I guess not.

(I didn't include Santo Tomás de Aquino as it's a demo scenario. I guess it first appeared Essen 2017 so maybe it gets placed before Estrella?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
soosy wrote:
The correct order is listed on the left side of this Asmodee page:

I just added this to the game's BGG description (minus Brotherhood of the Coast).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, let me ask a related question:

If you were to introduce a new table to Time Stories (but you, yourself, had played many sessions and knew the rules), what adventure would you use? Not the best, naturally, since you want to leave something to build up to, but not the worst either, as you want the game to click around the table.

I've replayed the Asylum with 3 or 4 different groups now, and I'm not sure I can play the fool anymore about the paths and options (i.e. I'm getting sick of it). I have yet another new group to introduce, and part of me feels I should use Asylum again, but another part wants to crack into a newer tale.

I've also played Marcy Case, but only for a single loop (and we didn't find her). However, that didn't strike me as the best introductory case due to the combat emphasis and muted story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've seen nothing better than Asylum to start with a new group. It contains nothing that isn't in the base rules, and is great introduction to the system.

If you are tired of playing through it, why not be Bob for once and let others discover the game for themselves? I've demoed the game a few times and have simply laid out the Base cards and told Agents to start reading, only introducing rules as and when necessary. It's still fun being outside of the mission and looking in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Langford
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Definitely play in order. There are *reasons* for that order that become apparent, and you will miss some opportunities, jokes, and allusions if you do not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.