Subject: Looking for a fun 6 player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ericka Martin
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
My family is really getting into board games. For the last year we have been having a game night with our closest friends (4 players total) and my boys have started to want to play games with us as well. Im looking for a game that would be fun with 4 players (all adults) but also fun for up to 6 players (for 2 adults and 4 kids) as well.

Some of the games we already play are:

Settlers of Catan (with 5/6 expansion for when kids play)
Killer Bunnies
Monopoly
Ticket to Ride (usually just me and my boys)
Uno
Small World

If its just up to 5 players that's ok too because my husband doesn't always play with us. My boys will be 16, 14, 13 and 10 this year so they grasp games pretty well. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethnos plays up to 6 and it's very simple to learn and teach. Your boys would probably really enjoy the fantasy theme. The choice of box art is a bit odd imo tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Married Board-Gamers
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sushi Go
Augustus
Magic Maze
Coup
Love Letter (only plays up to 4)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lennon
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
hippotatochipmunkeez
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamant (aka Incan Gold)
Category 5 (aka 6 nimmt!)
For Sale!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad M
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
New York Slice plays great at any player count. There is good decision making in the game, but if you want something deeper but still able to play with a 10 year old, I would say Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You play lighter games than I usually do, but looking at my collection and what I played, for 6 players I'd recommend:

Power Grid - a classic that handles up to 6; should be the right weight and time.

Betrayal At House On The Hill - another classic, start out with all 6 players cooperatively exploring a manor house and then at some point (based on omen card draw, die roll, and room) one player becomes a traitor; the traitor goes off and reads their rules while the rest of the players read from their book. Random, light, and a real blast if you want a narrative experience.

Jamaica - You are pirates racing around the island; interesting card play.

Castle Panic - Might be pushing it at 6 players, but this is a good game with kids and with expansions a good game with adults. 6 towers with 6 walls stand in the center of 3 rings with 6 cards (2 of red, blue, and green color arcs); draw a bag to survive an onslaught of monsters. Expansions are excellent and can reinvigorate the game; multiple play modes (score for MVP, expansion I believe adds "one player plays as evil", etc). Might not be the best at 6, but it does play 6. With adults you will want at least the Wizard's Tower expansion to add meaningful and interesting decisions, but preferably all expansions eventually (the other two are mini-expansions).

Tsuro - A very basic tile laying game with one goal: don't fall off the board. Fast, light game play good when you don't want to think too hard; also good for parent who need either a quiet game (no dice) or very light so they can deal with kids then easily jump back into the game without too much worry.

Dungeon! - a classic D&D dungeon crawler from the good old days, but still a blast to play with kids. Play a hero, go into a dungeon, enter rooms, kill evil monsters, gain loot - get enough gold and get out to win. In my opinion, this is one of the better dungeon crawl games out there. Not really a good game with adults unless you are really weird like me; this is a cheap mass-market kids game.

Lords of Waterdeep with Scoundrels of Skullport - you need the expansion to play 6 players. Worker placement with an interesting twist, through the game players can add buildings to create new worker placement spots (and if others use their buildings, they get a benefit as the owner). A solid worker placement game with a little bit of player interaction via intrigue cards.

Bang! The Dice Game - Haven't gotten to play this one yet, but you don't have a good western theme game. Also, its part social deduction as you have a (known) Sheriff, outlaws, renegades, and a deputy all working to achieve their goal in this dice based shootout game.

Pandemic with In the Lab - You need In the Lab to play 6 players, and it turns this cooperative game into a team competition game (either 2 v 2 v 2 or 3 v 3). Of course, you could always play the base game with 4 roles and control them all as a group - what some people call "decision by committee" but I call teaching the positive social interaction skill of working as a team, learning how to compromise, and realizing you don't always have to play the most optimal way to win.

Historia - This one might be a little heavy, but this is a civilization game that plays in about 2 hours and de-emphasizes warfare while getting rid of the whole "you can militarily conquer the world" with your faction. I really like this game as it has an interesting system of action selection using cards, push your luck on when to initiate a revolution and get these action cards back, a wonderful resource management system (generic cubes that mean controlling territory reduces your ability to research technology, build up military, build wonders, etc), and the ability to capture a solid civilization game experience in a reasonable amount of time in a deterministic euro-styled game that isn't about killing.

Empire Builder (or any other game in the Mayfair Crayon Rail Series) - Okay, these might not be the best suggestion, but they are related to Power Grid. Basic pick-up-and-deliver games. You get 3 demand cards with 3 demands on each, but can only fulfill 1 per card. Draw rail with crayons on a board, move your train about picking up loads and dropping them off, get cash, and try to connect major hubs while reaching a cash goal. Some people will find these incredibly boring, but I love the optimization in the game. There are rules in some games to speed up play (make trains 25% faster, run 2 trains at once, etc).

Escape The Curse of the Temple Big Box Edition - You need an expansion to play 6 players for this game, but the big box edition includes it and a lot more! This is a simultaneous turn die rolling game with a fixed 10 minute timer; you match symbols to explore a temple, ditch cursed gems, and then find and escape out an exit - everyone gets out or you all lose! More players mean more chaos, and there are tons of modules to add challenge to the game as you play.

One of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Games - These are not my speed. Take on the role of a hero, build a bunch of location decks, spend cards to roll dice, grind your way over weeks or months as you go on an RPG-styled adventure. Okay, I didn't sell it well. It isn't that bad, just not right to me; it felt more like World of Warcraft the Card Game, but you will get to see your characters slowly grow more powerful over time. Trick is you'll probably want to play with the same group all the time so each advances equally.

Wow, I have a lot more that go to 6 than I thought. Anyway, that is a lot to start looking through, and I'm sure you'll get a lot more recommendations to dig through also. Good luck finding the right game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O-P
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Citadels; https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/205398/citadels
(note: 2016 edition with expansions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Married Board-Gamers
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
oh I forgot to mention bohnanza
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cook
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Here are some games that I have found to play great with 4-6 players

7 Wonders
Advanced Civilization
Bang (5 or 7 players)
Bohnanza
Citadels
Hare and Tortoise
History of the World
I'm The Boss
Last Night On Earth
Medici
Power Grid
Saboteur
Vinci
Wildlife
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter with any one (or more) expansion is pretty awesome at 6.

Or for a co-op with possible traitor, the classic Shadows over Camelot could be a good fit for 6, with room for an additional guest.

Lastly, of your boys have any interest in racing cars, then how about Formula D? Good for 6, plus room for a few of the lads' mates when needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Lam
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Sushi Go Party!
+1 Jamaica
+1 New York Slice

Other games I have that play up to 6 players and scales well at the high player count:
Colt Express
Diamonds
King of Tokyo
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Keyflower
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Szpot
Poland
Rybnik
flag msg tools
Hey look, a pony!
badge
Smile :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great titles here already, so I'll just toss in Wrath of Dragons - quick-ish set collection "euro with a theme". Easy to pick up, has cute components, and plays well for each player count.

Also, Caverna: The Cave Farmers - supports up to 7 players, and is considered the best worker placement for a reason. It's not necessarily easy, but I wouldn't call it a heavy game per se - and you did say the potential players are capable of learning games.

Finally, for a funnier, more chaotic experience, there's RoboRally, with the player count going up to 8 - and the more players, the more chaos, and the more ensuing hilarity! With all the expansions available it has near infinite replayability, but even the basic set is hard to get bored with.

Good luck with your search!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
+1 Jamaica

Libertalia
Treasure Hunter

If you want a Co-Op I like The Captain Is Dead. We have found that most people are involved in the discussion when it isn't their turn, so it worked out well for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revolution! plays 3-4 with the base game and with one of the expansions it plays up to 6. I like this pick because learning is fast and easy and game play is simultaneous blind bidding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flashpoint
Elfenroads
Avenue
Magic maze
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
Camel Up or Downforce for racing/betting.
Libertalia
Evolution
I'm the Boss!
7 Wonders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian
Australia
North Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Colt Express
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bennett
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the suggestions so far, I've only played 7 Wonders, Power Grid, and Colt Express, which is a terrific game.

Further suggestions:

Parade, a card game about matching colors and numbers which you really DON'T want to do, because any matches you make count against you.

and

Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia which in my opinion is at its best with the maximum number of players (6).

edit: Don't go looking for Parade. I forgot that it is between printings and the stores that have it are overcharging for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Evangelista
Australia
Liverpool
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few games that haven't been mentioned that my family enjoys:

No Thanks!
Dixit
Alhambra
Ultimate Warriorz
Codenames
Nuns on the Run
Skull
Get Bit!
Dungeon Fighter
Time's Up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive: Escape from Atlantis! with the 5-6 Player Expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tons of great suggestions here.
I often play with 4-6 players, and will second the following in particular:

7 Wonders
Bang
Survive: Escape from Atlantis
Resistance: Avalon

If you're interested in a bit heavier fare:
Quartermaster General
Eldritch Horror
Antike II

For Christmas, we just picked up Empires Age of Discovery and it looks great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Since you already have Ticket to Ride you will probably enjoy Ticket to Ride Europe - it adds tunnels, ferries and stations - which makes the game a little more varied with only a slight increase in difficulty.

For your 4/5 player games I suggest

Coal Baron - 4 players
Snowdonia - 5 players
Puerto Rico - 5
Terraforming Mars - 5
Dominant Species - 6 players

I also suggest you watch a video for any of the games you think might fit the bill. There are may great ones here on BGG. Happy Gaming!

Also do not be afraid to buy used games on BGG. I have purchased many and all have been like new, some even appeared to be unplayed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
badge
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
mbmbmbmbmb

You might consider Around the World in 80 Days. It’s a family favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In response to your post, I almost said "Codenames" out loud.
Also, what plays well at 5-7 players is Bang the Dice Game. We prefer it to regular bang.
+1 Dixit too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Acton
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Bohnanza

and our family (incl. kids and adults together) has a ton of fun with Las Vegas which plays up to 6 in the base game and up to 8 with the expansion Las Vegas Boulevard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.