Daniel Wallis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT-- I have worked out the answer - Monsters in the outskirts remain there until they are returned to the cup when the limit is reached (p18 of the rules), therfore they would never come back to the board, even if the monster limit is no longer reached (because you have killed some since sending monsters to the outskirts) and are in the situation below.

The Milk of Shub-Niggurath unique item moves all monsters in play (not including Spawn Monsters) to your location. Does this include those in the outskirts?

I am assuming that monsters in the outskirts are in play as they build up and return to the cup when the limit is reached, thus being removed from play. But I can't find any clarification that they are in play, just that they are not in Arkham itself.

Any ideas?

I am in the middle of a game now - I think the Milk of Shub-Niggurath may be about to move a lot of monsters to a location with a timebomb in it which will hopefully kill them all if they don't move in the mythos phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Griffin
United States
Thibodaux
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm... that's a good question. I like the time bomb trap you have set up! IMO I don't think outskirts monsters are in play simply because they only really count towards the terror track. I say that because it isn't like they come in to Arkham after you eliminate monsters that are actually in town. But then again while reviewing this response I remember that monsters in the outskirts are removed when you close a gate so maybe you are right and they are technically in play. Interested to see what everyone else says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wallis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for responding so quickly.
I've worked out the answer:

Monsters in the outskirts remain there until they are returned to the cup when the limit is reached (p18 of the rules), therfore they would never come back to the board, even if the monster limit is no longer reached (because you have killed some since sending monsters to the outskirts) and play an item that moves all monsters in play to a location. I was wondering if some would come back in this case, but I think the rules are clear that they stay in the outskirts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been debated before and, while there has been no official response (on BGG at least), the general consensus seems to be that the Outskirts is considered to be "in play".

Ref:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/965691/what-considered-play
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/305954/question-regarding-o...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your assumption is correct: Monsters in the outskirts do not count as "in Arkham".

Official FAQ wrote:

Q:
When a Mythos Card says all Chthonians and Dholes
in Arkham are returned to the cup, does the Outskirts
count as “in Arkham?”
A:
No.

Oddly enough, closing gates removes monsters from the outskirts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wallis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Annoyingly 3 of the 5 monsters moved in the mythos phase, but 2 still got blown up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
Your assumption is correct: Monsters in the outskirts do not count as "in Arkham".

Official FAQ wrote:

Q:
When a Mythos Card says all Chthonians and Dholes
in Arkham are returned to the cup, does the Outskirts
count as “in Arkham?”
A:
No.

Oddly enough, closing gates removes monsters from the outskirts.

The problem is that the card does not state in Arkham, it says in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anoirtrou wrote:

The problem is that the card does not state in Arkham, it says in play.

It also doesn't mention the outskirts, which any cards that effect the outskirts explicitely do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinked about it and got this conclusions:
If monsters in outskirts counts as “in play”:
You should move all monsters in play to you location die “Milk of SN” effect, but the number of monsters in arkham cant be highter then usual monsters limit, so, monsters moves from outskirts to arkham if monster limit allows them.
At other hand: the rule from rulebook clearly says that monsters from outskirts never go to the board and I cant find any “Golden rule” such “text on card always overrides text in rulebook”.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, the outskirts are not "in Arkham".

The Rules wrote:

There is a limit on the number of monsters that may be
in Arkham at one time. The limit is equal to the number
of players in the game, plus three.
This monster limit only applies to those monsters actual-
ly moving around on the Arkham city portion of the
board or located in the “Sky” area. Monsters that appear
at a location and are then removed from the board do
not count, nor do monsters located in the Outskirts.

If the monsters in the outskirts were considered in Arkham, you'd have to count them for the monster limit. Which is nonsensical.

Also, it is clearly stated the monsters in the outskirts have no effect on the game whatsoever. If they were considered "in Arkham", other effects, such as the earthquakes, would be still triggered.

And again, the rules always state when they effect the outskirts.

Finally there's a an encounter at the graveyard that has a similiar effect as Milk, and that one also clearly includes the outskirts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatoly
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a bit late to the party, but wish to contribute.

When I use the Milk in my games I bring all the monsters from the Outskirts, the Sky and all expansion boards to my location (Unfortunately Dunwich Horror is a spawn monster, so stays put). This makes such a pile that no wonder the investigator goes insane. If it is in Arkham, the limit is definitely exceeded. This is the only time I find that you get such a massive monster count without having the terror level 10. Outskirts are empty though so several more gates can open before terrors starts to go up. But if you drink it in a quiet town like Kingsport, all of the sudden your moster count is down to zero again cool. It is quite an interesting and situational item to use.

Her milk brings all the boys to the yard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.