Subject: Game starts with "planets discovered" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oscar Luis L.
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you think about this idea?

The game starts with all tiles already turned.

Players can still get a point every time they land on a planet for the first time: they just take a token from it and count it as a victory point.

The idea is to minimize random elements giving players the chance to optimize their strategies right from the start.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Wojcik
Poland
Kraków(Cracow)
Malopolska
flag msg tools
designer
I very much like designing games but I think I prefer to play them.
badge
Metallum ... game I most proud of.
mbmbmbmbmb
This idea was in fact how the game originally was presented to the publisher. They quickly pointed out though that in such case the optimal move was to drop 3 extractors on Alpha and use its planet installation to distribute them all over the system.

To solve the above issue and in order to make the game more exciting we decided to introduce the idea of exploration. On top of that teaching the game is a bit easier (as you can explain installations as they are revealed) and makes initial decisions slight simpler before opening up completely (which gives the game a nice arc).

If you want a more strategic variant then by all means use this variant (planets face up) with additional tweak that extractors can't be moved to the planets that were not yet landed on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Luis L.
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This means that my idea wasn't so crazy after all

Thanks, Wojtek, for taking the time to answer and explain...

Happy new year to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.