United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Theme Matters
badge
"Patient Is the Night"
mbmbmbmbmb
For those like me who already love Scythe, what are you planning to do with this expansion? Are you planning to play through as a Campaign first, or are you simply going to try the modules that seem to fit your play better?

Personally, I would love to try as a campaign but I'm not sure if I will be able to play regularly enough with the same crowd to warrant campaign play, and as such it might be better to look at the modules and try the ones that seem the most fun to me first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGĂ“N DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobonthecob wrote:
For those like me who already love Scythe, what are you planning to do with this expansion? Are you planning to play through as a Campaign first, or are you simply going to try the modules that seem to fit your play better?

Personally, I would love to try as a campaign but I'm not sure if I will be able to play regularly enough with the same crowd to warrant campaign play, and as such it might be better to look at the modules and try the ones that seem the most fun to me first.

I play mostly solo, so that would make it easy to play the campaign first.

It might also be a good way to get acquainted with the modules and know which one is my favorite, not to mention how there seem to be some surprises in the campaign that might become less so if you play as modules first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no interest in a campaign for a game of this style, but I'm confident the modules will provide enough value. I'll definitely just open it all up immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez DeVinaspre
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play the campaign, I would strongly recommend playing without browsing the modules first. It's not required, but, as suggested, we have some "surprises" that will definitely be spoiled by looking at the modules first. Play testing revealed that the surprises were pretty well received, for what that is worth.

Ten of the 11 modules are revealed, gradually, throughout the campaign. The 11th one (cooperative play, that Jamey mentioned in the Facebook live video) will spoil at least one other module a little bit, if you peak at it first. Just FYI.

However, you certainly can preview things and still play the campaign.

For players like Joe, however, we wanted to have lots of value, and I really do think there is a ton of value here. We wanted this to be an expansion that reaches beyond a few games of campaign, and I think we got there. I'll also be excited to see what fan-made variants spawn out of some of these modules. Eleven modules is a lot to work with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Scholes
United States
Pecham
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan,

For those of us who play Scythe solo with as many as six Automa, do you recommend an ideal number of Automa as opponents in the new expansion's campaign?

Thanks,

Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez DeVinaspre
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bankrupt wrote:
Ryan,

For those of us who play Scythe solo with as many as six Automa, do you recommend an ideal number of Automa as opponents in the new expansion's campaign?

Thanks,

Rick

As someone who also plays Scythe solo (though never with 6 Automa!!), I'd love to give you an answer, Rick, but I haven't seen the solo mode yet. In truth, I don't even think that Morten could answer that question yet, since that step of the development is still early (we need to finalize the standard rules before they can fully design the solo mode--we're nearly there ). You may need to check back later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely playing the campaign first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bovard
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Theme Matters
badge
"Patient Is the Night"
mbmbmbmbmb
montanus wrote:
Bobonthecob wrote:

I play mostly solo, so that would make it easy to play the campaign first.

It might also be a good way to get acquainted with the modules and know which one is my favorite, not to mention how there seem to be some surprises in the campaign that might become less so if you play as modules first.

I do like playing scythe solo so that might actually be a good way for me to go through the campaign first. Good suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/themillshow
badge
Me
mbmbmbmbmb
I am 100% doing the campaign first. Whether I have to play solo or if my son will commit to the campaign. He's a big Scythe fan though, so I would imagine that he's all about the campaign. In fact, I think we're going to start Lessons of the Past here this weekend. Get the tiniest little taste of what's in store for The Rise of Fenris.

Curious though, Ryan, will TRoF work like LotP whereas you don't have to play the same faction throughout? In particular, I'm curious, if my son wins the first game as Rusviet, and then I take that faction for game two. Do I get his reward from game one because it's a faction bonus and not a player bonus?

If it's too soon to give that kind of information away, I understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez DeVinaspre
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeardedOne wrote:
I am 100% doing the campaign first. Whether I have to play solo or if my son will commit to the campaign. He's a big Scythe fan though, so I would imagine that he's all about the campaign. In fact, I think we're going to start Lessons of the Past here this weekend. Get the tiniest little taste of what's in store for The Rise of Fenris.

Curious though, Ryan, will TRoF work like LotP whereas you don't have to play the same faction throughout? In particular, I'm curious, if my son wins the first game as Rusviet, and then I take that faction for game two. Do I get his reward from game one because it's a faction bonus and not a player bonus?

If it's too soon to give that kind of information away, I understand.

Hi, Dusty! Good to see you here and not just on FB.

I actually intended LotP to be played as one faction throughout, though you don't really HAVE to. As for RoF, I don't think we're quite ready to reveal much there. As Jamey has said, there will be opportunities to change factions. How that works is probably finalized, but I don't want to say anything more until it is for sure. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zock'n' Roll
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitly the campagne first to see the moduls. Then a try on co-op. And maybe the campagne again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/themillshow
badge
Me
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCrazyPiper wrote:

I actually intended LotP to be played as one faction throughout, though you don't really HAVE to. As for RoF, I don't think we're quite ready to reveal much there. As Jamey has said, there will be opportunities to change factions. How that works is probably finalized, but I don't want to say anything more until it is for sure. Sorry.

No problem at all! I understand that you and Jamey will need to keep some cards close to the chest. It's nice to see you active here in this forum too. Also, dig that "Game Designer" badge.

It was interesting to read that you intended LotP to be played as a single person to faction. I thought I read.. and mind you, I was distracted with multiple things (including a damned water leak in my wall that required minor demo) so I might have missed it. I thought that the factions were chosen per game and the person who won sort of had last choice. Did I make that up? I totally need to read over the campaign book rules for LotP again. I assumed that the faction selection process helped with the potential issue of a runaway winner. .. I mean, the reward I peaked at for the first game didn't seem necessarily OP and I thought I read that it would actually be a bane instead of a boon in a later game.

I am going to be ridiculously embarrassed when I read over that campaign instruction again and nothing I've just talked about is anywhere to be found. lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez DeVinaspre
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeardedOne wrote:
TheCrazyPiper wrote:

No problem at all! I understand that you and Jamey will need to keep some cards close to the chest. It's nice to see you active here in this forum too. Also, dig that "Game Designer" badge.

It was interesting to read that you intended LotP to be played as a single person to faction. I thought I read.. and mind you, I was distracted with multiple things (including a damned water leak in my wall that required minor demo) so I might have missed it. I thought that the factions were chosen per game and the person who won sort of had last choice. Did I make that up? I totally need to read over the campaign book rules for LotP again. I assumed that the faction selection process helped with the potential issue of a runaway winner. .. I mean, the reward I peaked at for the first game didn't seem necessarily OP and I thought I read that it would actually be a bane instead of a boon in a later game.

I am going to be ridiculously embarrassed when I read over that campaign instruction again and nothing I've just talked about is anywhere to be found. lol.

It's been a year or so since I've really looked at those rules (and my Scythe campaign-related creative energy has been highly focused on very different rules ), so I could be mis-remembering, but I believe the rule you cite refers to player mats, not faction mats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just got scythe for Christmas and I'm already enjoying. Been reading a lot about it in the time I haven't been playing it. I haven't read much into fan created content though. Is LotP going to be in any way similar to RotF? Would I be spoiling any surprises or stories that appear in RotF by playing LotP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez DeVinaspre
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jjdelanoche wrote:
So I just got scythe for Christmas and I'm already enjoying. Been reading a lot about it in the time I haven't been playing it. I haven't read much into fan created content though. Is LotP going to be in any way similar to RotF? Would I be spoiling any surprises or stories that appear in RotF by playing LotP?

No, they are completely different. Honestly, I'm half-tempted to take LotP down (at least until I could revise/improve it). It's the beginning of something, but, as I said in my original post in the Variants forum, hardly tested and needs work. It was a first draft that I had hoped some other fans could help me refine. By the time a few expressed interest in that goal, I was well underway with the RoF expansion and couldn't really tell them so, so I had to pretend I was just "too busy" (which was actually true, I suppose). I won't take it down, but Fenris is going to be way better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.