Dragonfire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do I understand 'Scenes' correctly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor H
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hello folks- I have just finished reading the manual, and am about to host my first game of Dragonfire tonight. My experience with the game is limited to the demo I played at PAX, and I haven't really looked through the individual cards and adventures yet.

One thing I'm a little uncertain on is the definition of a "scene". Could someone tell me if the following interpretation is correct?

I will be playing the Dungeon Crawl adventure with 4 players. I understand that I use Dungeon 1 and Dungeon 2 for my primary and secondary encounter decks.

So for the first scene it looks like I would be drawing 4 encounters at the start of each round. And then the scene ends once both the primary and secondary decks are depleted and we have defeated each encounter on the table, right?

After the short rest phase, then I shuffle those same primary and secondary decks and do the same thing over (drawing 5 encounters per round) again for scene 2, right?

Something internally feels a little wrong about playing the same decks repeatedly with no new encounters to face, but I suppose later adventures probably do more interesting things...I hope...

Did I understand this much correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Adams
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly. Scene one would be the four encounters and that's it. Doesn't matter how many rounds it would take to finish those four off (but be wary of the DF level rising!).

When those four are gone, take your short rest and the next scene begins with 5 encounters (4+1). Again, the scene ends when those encounters are gone.

The deck depletion was just a gimmick of the quickstart rules.

Does that make more sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Wright
United States
Solon
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
Draw encounters once, not each round.
Scene ends when you have defeated each encounter.
You don't shuffle decks until you need to draw a card and none are available, then shuffle discards and finish drawing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hypersapien wrote:
So for the first scene it looks like I would be drawing 4 encounters at the start of each round. And then the scene ends once both the primary and secondary decks are depleted and we have defeated each encounter on the table, right?

After the short rest phase, then I shuffle those same primary and secondary decks and do the same thing over (drawing 5 encounters per round) again for scene 2, right?

Something internally feels a little wrong about playing the same decks repeatedly with no new encounters to face, but I suppose later adventures probably do more interesting things...I hope...

Did I understand this much correctly?

Scene 1:
Deal 4 encounters (+any summons that get triggered)
Color match the first encounter, deal the rest clockwise.
Since your Dragonfire Level (DFL) will be 0, everything comes from the primary (rank I) deck.

When all obstacles are defeated, pause.
Bury the Dragonfire Card (do not add it to the discard)
The current player finishes their turn (draw 2 cards, end of turn buy).
Everyone heals one HP and discards an Exhaustion token (if present).
Starting to that player's left, everyone may purchase one card from the Market.
Scene 1 is now over.

Scene 2 begins.
Look at the Dragonfire level.
That's how many rank II obstacles you'll be dealing (up to the maximum for the scene).
Deal n+1 obstacles, 5 in this case since you have 4 players.
If DFL is less than 5, then deal that many Rank IIs and finish with Rank Is.
If DFL is 5 or greater, then all of the obstacles will come from the Rank II deck.

Start up play to the left of whomever finished the first scene. Don't read a new Dragon Fire card until the Party Leader gets their turn. This may give you a few rounds without a Dragon Fire effect.

Again, when Scene 2 ends, pause.
Do all the end of Scene stuff.
Deal out Scene 3.
Continue.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor H
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Oh ok, so my 4 player game of Dungeon Crawl should look like this:

Scene 1: 4 total encounters
Scene 2: 5 total encounters
Scene 3: 6 total encounters

For a combined total of 15 encounters (assuming no effect makes me draw more)

Is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
Highly suggest watching this video all the way through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAwF6OSvmEg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hypersapien wrote:
Oh ok, so my 4 player game of Dungeon Crawl should look like this:

Scene 1: 4 total encounters
Scene 2: 5 total encounters
Scene 3: 6 total encounters

For a combined total of 15 encounters (assuming no effect makes me draw more)

Is this correct?

The above is correct (Barring Summons or Dragonfire effects that cause additional obstacles to be put into play).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor H
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
SteoanK wrote:
Highly suggest watching this video all the way through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAwF6OSvmEg

Thanks! I actually did watch that one before I had read the manual, but most of it was in one ear, out the other. Now that I've read the rules I'll rewatch it =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.