Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Now played 7 time with 2 or 3 players (first edition copy but using all living rules except advanced iron rule). Everyone has won multiple times except the poor Norse. They have no hunting first advantage like the other two tribes and if they don’t get to new world with a success early then they are likely starved for energy to keep elders from dying like flies or keeping the livestock alive unless they pick goat. Lots of first deals on Southern Biomes will give only 1 energy card (seals) and all the great energy animals are up north except Orca which are not something the Norse are well equipped to go for without some inventions or a ton of hunters

Should I go to the new world every time or should I be raiding the Tunit daughters for free elder promotion and one less elder die off/energy event to help even the field? So often when a good energy card like hooded seal would come up, my Thule opponent would just send a boat of 3 hunters plus alpha via Mariner and new that if I didn’t wipe him in combat he stood a great chance of picking off the prey with his hunt first advantage plus reroll of 3 and 4 for Daugherty and shaman. Meanwhile I’m so starved of energy after the first elder die off event that all I could manage was keeping one Mariner and chief alive to prevent feuds after first elder die off and each turn the Icelandic sheep woood consume the only energy I got. I eventually killed it off so I could get some energy for late promotions of a Mariner after going mono.

Also, unless the Norse are extremely fortunate with some trophy hunts, it seems the best way to play is to go Mono right? I think I’ve been trying to hard to hunt trophies and only going mono if I fail (which is often but usually I given until round 5-6) but the Norse have 0 natural aptitude for bunting, just metallurgy. So rather than trying to make them into something they aren’t, what if I just go with my strength and commit to Vinland early to start taking iron and if people want to come fight me and make Vinland hostile then use Icelandic sheep to win some auctions to take in weapons or simply bribe the natives (but then no auction wins)

I tried this strategy last game but my dice rolls were epically bad so my colony was nearly wiped in first round along with elder die off and then storm killed my Mariner in turn 2 event and I had only one energy left and the game quickly spiraled out of control

I know the Norse can be good, I’ve seen it said they are “unbeatable” with a new world strategy so I’m just looking for some help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.