Subject: Couple of rules clarifications (no spoilers please) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
Finally starting the campaign this weekend and I’ve been reading and re-reading the rulebook to get the game down as much as I can do we don’t have to keep checking rules those first few games. These questions came up as I read. Obviously, no spoilers please. And if some of these questions seem silly or redundant I’m sorry but I play with someone who figures out the loophole to everything (usually trying to figure out how to break a game) and so I need to know, if possible, the answer to these questions because I know something will come up. And please no “oh the rules are horrible you guys will break the game and hate it and blah blah blah comments”. I already know all the negative press and so on, this was a Christmas gift and we want to play it. I appreciate the answers.

Repair:
If one of my ships is damaged and the other is sunk. When I do a repair action can I repair both of them in the same action?

Markets:
If I’m at an island with a market site, can I sell goods there from my ship? (My ship being at the island of course). Also, if I can sell at the island site from my ship, can I sell one good from my ship there and then sell the second good from my warehouse on my province (player board)?

Raiding:
When you raid a territory (island or a province) and there is another province’s ship there (not a ship of the one being raided), do you still lose dice for that ship being there?

For example: I am blue and I am raiding the green province, one of purple’s ships is there at the green province when I (blue) take my raid action. Would I lose 1 die because of purple’s ship being there? Even though it is not purple’s province I’m raiding?

Same example for when I’m raiding an island, if another province’s ship is there at the island, I would lose a die when I raid the island because of another province’s ship being there?

Keeping an advisor at the end of the game:
At the end of the game (step 3 in end game steps) can I (or all players) choose not to keep any advisor to the next game? Dismissing all of them to the advisor deck? Or do we HAVE to keep one advisor?

End of game, rolling to get rid of enmity (step 5 at end of game list):
When rolling dice based on how many fortune and reputation tokens I have at the end of the game, when I roll a success do I remove a token for each individual die? So if rolled 3 successes I remove 3 enmity tokens?

And during this same step, can you remove enmity tokens from province sites (player boards)? Or only the main sea board (islands etc...)

And last one:
The game ends in the middle of a year, let’s say round 3 in the year, so obviously there is no next winter phase where the enmity tokens would move off sites onto the “at war” area. Do enmity tokens on province sites (player boards), including the at war with area, turn to permanent enmity stickers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
LateShacka wrote:

Repair:
If one of my ships is damaged and the other is sunk. When I do a repair action can I repair both of them in the same action?

Yes, you can repair one or both of your ships.

LateShacka wrote:

Markets:
If I’m at an island with a market site, can I sell goods there from my ship? (My ship being at the island of course). Also, if I can sell at the island site from my ship, can I sell one good from my ship there and then sell the second good from my warehouse on my province (player board)?

Yes.

LateShacka wrote:

Raiding:
When you raid a territory (island or a province) and there is another province’s ship there (not a ship of the one being raided), do you still lose dice for that ship being there? ]/q]

No.

[q="LateShacka"]
Keeping an advisor at the end of the game:
At the end of the game (step 3 in end game steps) can I (or all players) choose not to keep any advisor to the next game? Dismissing all of them to the advisor deck? Or do we HAVE to keep one advisor?

Not sure why you would ever choose to not keep an advisor; but you probably don't have to. However, if you are not the winner of the game, then keeping an advisor might help by preventing the winner from keeping an advisor. The winner can only keep an advisor if the cost is less than the advisors kept by the other players.

LateShacka wrote:

End of game, rolling to get rid of enmity (step 5 at end of game list):
When rolling dice based on how many fortune and reputation tokens I have at the end of the game, when I roll a success do I remove a token for each individual die? So if rolled 3 successes I remove 3 enmity tokens?

For non-permanent enmity (ie non-stickers) then yes, you get to remove one token for each success. It takes two successes to remove a permanent enmity sticker; which you just cross out.

LateShacka wrote:

The game ends in the middle of a year, let’s say round 3 in the year, so obviously there is no next winter phase where the enmity tokens would move off sites onto the “at war” area. Do enmity tokens on province sites (player boards), including the at war with area, turn to permanent enmity stickers?

Yes.

JimA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
Thanks for the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
One question didn’t get answered though. It was for removing enmity tokens on player boards from rolling successes at the end of the game.

can you remove enmity tokens from province sites (player boards)? Or only the main sea board (islands etc...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimA759 wrote:
LateShacka wrote:

Repair:

Yes, you can repair one or both of your ships.

LateShacka wrote:

Markets:

Yes.

LateShacka wrote:

Yes.

JimA

Just to clarify some of Jim's answers. Jim if my clarifications are obvious or unnecessary, I apologize, but these jumped out at me when I read the answers.

Regarding Markets: The answer is correct, but you can only sell goods at islands if there is a market matching the color of the good(s) you want to sell on that island. The province has a market for all goods, but the islands are not as accommodating.

Regarding your question where the game ends in the middle of the year. Enmity tokens on province sites (player boards) don't automatically turn to permanent enmity stickers ... you still could remove them by rolling successes using any reputation or fortune tokens that you still have when the game ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
albcann wrote:

Regarding your question where the game ends in the middle of the year. Enmity tokens on province sites (player boards) don't automatically turn to permanent enmity stickers ... you still could remove them by rolling successes using any reputation or fortune tokens that you still have when the game ends.

Ok so let’s say I had raided green’s province. I have one of my blue enmity marker’s on one of his field sites and then I have 3 enmity tokens in his “at war with” area.

The game ends.

I have two fortune left at the end of the game. I roll two dice. I get one success and one blank. I use the success to remove one of my (blue) enmity tokens off of the green province’s “at war with” area.

Now there is 3 blue enmity tokens on the green province’s player board (one on his field site and the other two on his “at war with” area.

My (blue) enmity token on the green province’s field site disappears automatically at the end of the game.

AND THEN my two (blue) enmity tokens that are left on green’s “at war with” area become 2 permanent enmity stickers?

Did I understand all that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you think your enmity token on his field site "automatically disappears after the game"?

The way I understand your example, you have 3 permanent enmity stickers for next game ... one for the field, and two for the at war. The enmity on the field is no different than the enmity in the "at war with" section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
I misunderstood your answer. You stated that enmity tokens on sites don’t automatically become permanent stickers. I failed to realize you were refencing the step where you roll to remove tokens, then Whatever is not removed becomes an enmity sticker. I assumed that you were not referencing that step.

When I asked if they automatically become enmity stickers, I was asking if this happens after you had rolled to remove enmity tokens.

In short, I worded myself vaguely and so did you. So we both assumed one was referencing something and another was not.

If all that makes sense. Either way I understand now .

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take your word for it, two wrongs made a right .... I guess I must have helped!

It's a great game ... keep asking questions and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
Yeah I agree. It was mosty my fault though. Thanks! Appreciate all the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
Here’s a couple of more questions, if someone could please answer.

Advisors:
If I have the advisor that lets me use fortune tokens at “dangerous sites”, does that mean that when raiding a province if I have this advisor active I would be able to use fortune tokens to change blanks into successes? (Because provinces have a red “dangerous site” shield)

Captain’s Booke: (not sure if this can actually happen but curious)
If a captain’s Booke choice were to tell me to put an enmity token onto the site I just explored and also that a good comes onto the site, both of these at the same time. Dos that mean that this site can not be raided this year but that the cube sitting on top of it can still be bought with the merchant guild’s buy action?

Assigning titles when multiple players tie at the end of a game
During a 4 player game:

Both the baron and the count are tied at 10 glory.
Both the duke and prince are tied at 12 glory.

Would the current baron this game get first choice between the titles of baron and count? Then the current duke would take the left over choice?

Would the current duke get first choice between the duke and prince titles?
Then the current prince would get the leftover title?

Buying buildings:
Can you have multiples of the same buildings on your province build site?
For example can I have two libraries at my province?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Andrikopoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Advisors:
If I have the advisor that lets me use fortune tokens at “dangerous sites”, does that mean that when raiding a province if I have this advisor active I would be able to use fortune tokens to change blanks into successes? (Because provinces have a red “dangerous site” shield)

Yes, you can do that.

Captain’s Booke: (not sure if this can actually happen but curious)
If a captain’s Booke choice were to tell me to put an enmity token onto the site I just explored and also that a good comes onto the site, both of these at the same time. Dos that mean that this site can not be raided this year but that the cube sitting on top of it can still be bought with the merchant guild’s buy action?

As far as I remember, there is no such occurence.

Assigning titles when multiple players tie at the end of a game
During a 4 player game:

Both the baron and the count are tied at 10 glory.
Both the duke and prince are tied at 12 glory.

Would the current baron this game get first choice between the titles of baron and count? Then the current duke would take the left over choice?

Would the current duke get first choice between the duke and prince titles?
Then the current prince would get the leftover title?

First the current Baron decides if he will get the baron or count title THEN the current Duke decides if he will get the Duke or Prince title.

Buying buildings:
Can you have multiples of the same buildings on your province build site?
For example can I have two libraries at my province?

Yes you can. Not sure if it specified in the rulebook but it does make sense even thematically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
Thanks! I appreciate all the help.

What if a market or dock site at an island has been raided? Even though the players enmity token is on it can it still be used for its action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Andrikopoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LateShacka wrote:

What if a market or dock site at an island has been raided? Even though the players enmity token is on it can it still be used for its action?

Yes it can. Enmity tokens prevent another player from raiding only. Again, it has been some time since we finished our campaign so if I am mistaken, please correct me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Collins
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Giannis2 wrote:
LateShacka wrote:

Yes it can. Enmity tokens prevent another player from raiding only. Again, it has been some time since we finished our campaign so if I am mistaken, please correct me!

You are correct. Page 19 confirms this:

Sites with enmity tokens cannot be raided again this year.

Emphasis added. The only thing precluded by the enmity token is a future raid until after winter (if you get another winter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.