Subject: Shadows over Dragonspear rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all. Finally got ahold of Shadows over Dragonspear and a couple questions. First, as mentioned in the rules, if completed after the Ancient Evil Arises, you won't be Level 2 as this adventure is. So we will increase the DF level per the rules, my question is... how did those of you who played at a higher difficulty do? We'll be playing at Level 4.

Also, it says to "shuffle the nine magic item cards" into their respective rarity decks. I did not receive any additional treasure cards. Are these missing or a misprint in the rules?

Finally, the new dragon fire cards say to shuffle into the top 12. This seems to be a bit of a pain if you have to do it on every playthrough. I looked at them and it doesnt seem to be an issue just mixing in with everything else. And yes, I know the "X" should be removed when playing a different adventure

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
papagamer72 wrote:
Hey all. Finally got ahold of Shadows over Dragonspear and a couple questions. First, as mentioned in the rules, if completed after the Ancient Evil Arises, you won't be Level 2 as this adventure is. So we will increase the DF level per the rules, my question is... how did those of you who played at a higher difficulty do? We'll be playing at Level 4.

Also, it says to "shuffle the nine magic item cards" into their respective rarity decks. I did not receive any additional treasure cards. Are these missing or a misprint in the rules?

Finally, the new dragon fire cards say to shuffle into the top 12. This seems to be a bit of a pain if you have to do it on every playthrough. I looked at them and it doesnt seem to be an issue just mixing in with everything else. And yes, I know the "X" should be removed when playing a different adventure

Thanks!

Beat it on two different campaigns.
First campaign the duo was at level 5 already. We used the level 4 boost rules (since level 5 boosts don't apply to anything but Dungeon Crawl) and took rewards accordingly. We got it in one or two tries (can't recall which, it's been a few weeks).

Second campaign the duo was at level 4 when they went into the Dragonspear. I think we finished that in three or so tries.

The DFL doesn't affect what comes out in terms of obstacles because there's only one deck, and you have to get through all of it. Higher DFL *will* affect abilities on Dragonfire Cards and on obstacles, so be on the lookout for that.

Setting up the Dragonfire Cards is not an onerous activity compared to the rest of the setup, to include setting up each character's deck, their equipment pack swap outs based on player count and features, and their magic items.
You also have the Market deck and the somewhat difficult to decipher instructions on setting up the obstacle decks for the two scenes. The point of setting up the Dragonfire deck with the 5 new cards is to increase the likelihood that you'll see the new stuff (since they will be in the first 17 cards of the deck), since they're thematically tied to the Adventure.

Also, once you leave Dragonspear, you MUST include one of the DF cards in any future Adventure that those character's play, but MAY include the other 4. Look at the other 4 and see if they're good or bad for the upcoming adventure. If they're bad, don't bring them. If they're less bad than the normal deck, consider adding them in.

As to contents, you should've received:
2 character shields
6 Market cards (Dungeon Delver)
x Skill cards for Warlocks (I forget how many of each0
9 Magic Item cards
Rules sheet / Fiction paragraphs
Adventure Card

If you didn't get new Magic Items, your set is not complete.
Double check your magic item decks, "DRAGONSPEAR" is written on the bottom of each card associated with this expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
majkmajk majkmajk
msg tools
Used the same rules as above poster for both the expansions and they seem to scale relatively well. Starting at such a high DF makes those DF 7-9+ effects come pretty fast and they HURT.

My groups use the 8 (4 from each expansion) cards all the time just to give more variety and its working out pretty well.

As for statistics on the expansions we each got clobbered the first times we tried these and got them the second time around. Really fun scene mechanics on both the expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
majkmajk wrote:
Used the same rules as above poster for both the expansions and they seem to scale relatively well. Starting at such a high DF makes those DF 7-9+ effects come pretty fast and they HURT.

My groups use the 8 (4 from each expansion) cards all the time just to give more variety and its working out pretty well.

As for statistics on the expansions we each got clobbered the first times we tried these and got them the second time around. Really fun scene mechanics on both the expansions!

Some of the dragonfire cards are harsher than the base ones.
For example, in the base set there's one to increase damage of each of the 4 colors.
In the expansion, there's one that increases damage of two colors.

We leave such things in the expansion - I'd rather not see those normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noneya Bidness
United States
Middletown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know any encounter cards marked with an "X" are for that expansion only. Is there an issue with leaving the non expansion encounter cards in the encounter deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanos007 wrote:
I know any encounter cards marked with an "X" are for that expansion only. Is there an issue with leaving the non expansion encounter cards in the encounter deck?

You are free to do as you like for Dungeon Crawls.

To date, each Adventure tells you precisely which cards to include in the Encounter Decks, which is usually "Stuff in this pack" and sometimes "plus some stuff from the base set".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Principia

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanos007 wrote:
I would recommend reviewing the non-X Dragonfire cards to determine whether you would want those cards turning up during other Adventures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kessler
United States
California
flag msg tools
Quote:
Finally, the new dragon fire cards say to shuffle into the top 12. This seems to be a bit of a pain if you have to do it on every playthrough. I looked at them and it doesnt seem to be an issue just mixing in with everything else

I'm not sure what you mean by "every playthrough"--every playthrough of the Dragonspear adventure, or every playthrough of any adventure (e.g., a Dungeon Crawl down the road) in which you add the Dragonspear DF cards to the DF deck (whether you're adding just the one Dragonspear DF card that you have to use in all games after you complete DS, or adding more of them).

As to the latter, unless I've misunderstood, you only have to shuffle the new DF cards provided in Dragonspear (or those provided in ... Trollclaws or Sea of Swords, which have parallel setup rules) into the top 12 cards when you're playing the adventure with which the new DF cards came. That is, when you use new DF cards from Dragonspear in subsequent adventures, you don't have to shuffle them into the top 12 of the DF deck—just for Dragonspear itself.

If you mean "every playthrough of the Dragonspear adventure," then I think that disregarding that rule and mixing them into the entire 25-card base DF deck would change the adventure's intended balance. I don't know whether, on the whole, it would make the adventure easier or harder, since [spoilers re Dragonspear strategy/mechanics]
Spoiler (click to reveal)
(a) one Dragonspear DF card (Infernal Binding) is a major boon specifically designed to help you handle this Adventure,

(b) one (Infernal Contract) is a mixed bane/blessing that gives you a generic benefit but also penalizes you for having cards in your deck that don't match your Class Type(s), which balances out the big, Dragonspear-specific setup benefit of adding a colorless Dungeon Delvers card to your equipment pack, and

(c) three are typical, harmful DF cards, of which one is extra-nasty in a Dragonspear-specific way (Infernal Invasion), while two (Signs of Blight/Corruption) are nastier than most base DF cards in a mostly non-Dragonspear-specific way (though they are particularly harsh at high DF levels ... which you're particularly likely to face in Dragonspear, assuming you do it at level 4 or 5).

Finally, not shuffling the Dragonspear DF cards into the top 12 dilutes the adventure's thematic consistency and uniqueness, so—whatever you think about whether to follow the rules for the sake of rule-following and/or game balance—I'd recommend taking the extra minute to follow the rule for that aesthetic reason. But that's obvs a personal choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Dalton
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The card that has the Dragon & on it is supposed to be added to the Dragonfire deck after you've beaten that adventure. If you use those characters you are supposed to include that dragonfire card permanently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kessler
United States
California
flag msg tools
Good point. I edited my comment above accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.