Hide
12 Posts

Pirate's Cove» Forums » General

Subject: Original Version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Debra McKee
msg tools
Hi, I was wondering how hard it would be for English speaking players to play this game using the original German version? I saw there are translations available for the rules and cards, but I'm wondering if anyone else has ever tried this? Thanks for any advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You would need paste ups for the tavern cards, and maybe the legendary pirates, although for these a cribsheet would be enough. Other than that, the game is language independent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debra McKee
msg tools
Thanks! I just found a summary from Days of Wonder describing the changes, and it actually sounds like there are many (rules modified, components upgraded, etc.) so I might prefer the newer one. Do you know by any chance if it is OOP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Days of Wonder version. Please let me know if that's the one you want. I'll sell it. I believe I've played it only twice, so it is in very good condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debra McKee
msg tools
Hi Michael,
I am trying to decide on a few new games for my family, and am not sure but was interested in the Days of Wonder version. I'm new to this forum so I apologize if asking dumb questions. For how much would you be interested in selling your game for? I'm in Southern Calif (zip - 92656) if you are able to guesstimate shipping costs too. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll bring it to the Post Office tomorrow to get a price for shipping. For the game itself, I think $25 is reasonable.

There are truly no dumb questions! We were all newbies once. I'm not sure what family games you already have, but the ones my family enjoys are:
King of Tokyo
Near and Far
Love Letter
and Mysterium.

Other games get a lot of plays, but those are the most popular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debra McKee
msg tools
thanks. don't go out of your way, just send me a shipping cost when it's convenient to find out. I still need to figure out my budget and what I can do but I appreciate your reasonable offer, and thanks for the advice. Happy New Year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! It is quite chilly in Maryland, so I'd like to wait until the temps get up to the thirties to venture into the tundra.

I'm not sure how much of a newbie you are, so forgive me if you already know this info. One of the ways you can customize your identification on BGG is with avatars and badges, which require Geek Gold to obtain. The easiest way to acquire Geek Gold for a newbie is to post on the long "No Geek Left Behind...(How to get an Avatar)" in the Forums section. At this moment it is on page 6 of that Forum, and has 2354 thumbs (the left-hand column). You'll see what to do.

There are a lot of BGG'ers who have Geek Gold that they'll never use, and they are willing to donate some to those who need it. Pretty cool!

Some people decide not to embellish their ID, and that's fine too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debra McKee
msg tools
Thanks. I think I'm OK for now with just occasional posting and not worrying about all that other stuff. The plan for the game sounds great. When it is safe to do venture out, just let me know any options for shipping, and we can decide if it will work, and then if so, work out the payment thru Paypal or other means. In the meantime, I'll try to blow some of our California weather your way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debra McKee
msg tools
Hi Again,
When you get the chance, if it's warmed up a little, I'm still interested in seeing how much the shipping would be for the Pirate's Cove game. Let me know whenever you can. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
mjmelen wrote:
I'll bring it to the Post Office tomorrow to get a price for shipping. For the game itself, I think $25 is reasonable.

There are truly no dumb questions! We were all newbies once. I'm not sure what family games you already have, but the ones my family enjoys are:
King of Tokyo
Near and Far
Love Letter
and Mysterium.

Other games get a lot of plays, but those are the most popular.

Debra this is a pretty fun game and the price above would be a solid deal for a used copy in excellent condition. I have the Days of Wonder version (gave it to me 6 year old son last year for Christmas) and I see that right now copies are running for 60$ on Amazon.

If your family likes games with lots of interaction, and they are fine with 'take that' as well as a bit of randomness, and they like the pirate theme, then this game fills that niche pretty well.

It's worth noting that the full game can go relatively long for a family/kid game-I find at least an hour. You could shorten the game by only playing say 8 or 10 rounds instead of the intended 12, but I find that playing to 12 is the best one.

Here are some family games that we enjoy quite a bit at our house:
Telestrations
Potion Explosion
Evolution: Climate
King of Tokyo
Camel Up
Colt Express

A lot of great games---may come down to a favorite theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debra McKee
msg tools
Hi Michael,
I'm not sure if I responded correctly on this thread so that the message got to you. I was wondering if you have had time to take the Pirate's Cove game by the post office to determine the shipping cost. You had said you were interested in selling your copy for $25 plus shipping. Let me know a shipping and/or total price whenever you are able. Thanks much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.