Hands in the Sea» Forums » Variants

Subject: Idea for an event: Hostage exchange rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
José Herrera
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys! First of all, Happy New Year to all!

After getting in a fun game of HitS today, I went out for a run, during which an idea came to mind. How about a new event that could really shake up the positions on the map and help blur the border?

Something in the lines of "Hostage exchange" or "Local rivalry" would be the name. It could work like this:

"Roll: 1-3 it hits Carthage; 4-6 Rome. Affected player designates two neighboring cities, one with a red and another with a blue cube, in Sicily or Corsica/Sardinia. Affected cities may not be Developed, Resource Locations and/or Fortified. If this can be applied, those two cities will switch sides, their cube being replaced by the other color and their card placed in the appropriate discard pile. If one of the cities is in its starting location (like blue for Panormus), that cube is instead simply removed, not replaced. If this cannot be applied, treat as no event."

The game mechanic would be justified as a way to "shake up" things a little and encourage even more the fortification of key towns like Agrigentum. It could help a player get closer to enemy key areas while leaving a vulnerable neutral (think Syracuse) or enemy town to be raided or conquered into submission. I haven't tried it out yet, but I guess it could favor Rome. Not sure though.

Thematically, I have read that once key hostages were released many cities would easily revolt and switch sides. I can easily see how century -long rivalries amongst Sicilian towns could lead to an alliance going the other way in the vicinity (think Selinas and Heraclea if my memory serves me right,...).

What do you think? Good gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Resource Locations...do you mean Supply Points? I would suggest to re-word the event like this:

"Affected cities may not be Supply Points or ones that had been Developed and/or Fortified."

I am playing a scenario of Heraclea in SGBoH. Is it somehow related to the event since you mentioned Heraclea? Some more historical background to your card can validate it more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.