Michael
United Kingdom
Thatcham
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played my 2nd game of Pathfinder RotR this evening and have lots of rule clarifications but let me start with one:
My character discovered the main Villain and so my partner attempted to temporarily close her location to minimise the locations he could flee to.
Closing her location required beating a Henchman which she failed to do taking damage in the process paid for by two cards from her hand (and obviously she failed to temporarily close the location).
Now, does she just immediately reset her hand to 4 cards (she's playing the fighter), or does she wait for her turn to reset her hand or does she have to go through her turn with a partial hand and reset it at the end of her turn?

Where we're unsure we're trying to use common sense but this one stumped us both.

Thanks in advance :o)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Adams
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uni Lateral wrote:
Played my 2nd game of Pathfinder RotR this evening and have lots of rule clarifications but let me start with one:
My character discovered the main Villain and so my partner attempted to temporarily close her location to minimise the locations he could flee to.
Closing her location required beating a Henchman which she failed to do taking damage in the process paid for by two cards from her hand (and obviously she failed to temporarily close the location).
Now, does she just immediately reset her hand to 4 cards (she's playing the fighter), or does she wait for her turn to reset her hand or does she have to go through her turn with a partial hand and reset it at the end of her turn?

Where we're unsure we're trying to use common sense but this one stumped us both.

She must wait to reset her hand unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimwise wrote:
Uni Lateral wrote:

She must wait to reset her hand unfortunately.
yea, she must wait her turn. But in some cases it can be good - other players can heal her before she must to draw cards from (possible) empty deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
One benefit, the first explore in a location is free and you can't lose any more cards. There's some risk of encountering a henchman or villain, along with the risk of reshuffling the location for encountering a bane you can't handle; but sometimes you encounter a boon which at worst will help you remove a card from a location even if you don't pass the check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be extra clear, she waits until the end of her turn. (As opposed to immediately or at the beginning of her turn.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
One benefit, the first explore in a location is free and you can't lose any more cards. There's some risk of encountering a henchman or villain, along with the risk of reshuffling the location for encountering a bane you can't handle; but sometimes you encounter a boon which at worst will help you remove a card from a location even if you don't pass the check.

Autoduelist confused me a moment, so to clarify: if your hand is completely empty at the start of your turn, you can't lose any more cards* by exploring. This was not the OP situation, though.

*um...except, there are banes in some sets that can cause you to lose cards directly from your deck. Those are rare in RotR, although I can think of one:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Siren(ugh)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Thatcham
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
To be extra clear, she waits until the end of her turn. (As opposed to immediately or at the beginning of her turn.)

Thanks everyone...and for clarifying that it’s the end of the turn.
I hadn’t considered the (potential) benefit of starting your turn with a depleted hand...
Each time we play we come across something we’re not sure about but I’m finding lots of answers here.
Really enjoying it so far :o)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.