Catacombs (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Base Game with or without expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
The only reasonably priced place I can find this is on the publisher's website. I usually like to play a game a few times before getting expansions... but shipping is quite expensive, so I would prefer to make as few purchases as possible.
With this in mind, I would like to know what the best stuff is to pick up and get it at the same time.
Which is your favorite expansion? Would you consider more than one of them must-have? None of them? All of them?
thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I say you don't need any expansions for this game - it's great with or without. But getting the Catacombs: Cavern of Soloth (third edition) expansion really does complete the base game. Without that you will still have a lot of fun, but not have as much variety between playable heroes or enemies. So if you wanted to save on shipping and think you'll enjoy the game, order this too.

Other expansions are also very good, but not necessary in my opinion. The Resurrection packs in particular are quite expensive considering the amount of content you get, so don't offer good "bang for your buck". Still worth owning if you love the game or don't mind the high cost, but not if you are trying to maximize your gaming dollar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Thanks for sharing.

So you've tried Wyverns of Wylemuir before? Sounds like you liked it, but not as much as Soloth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandizzle wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

So you've tried Wyverns of Wylemuir before? Sounds like you liked it, but not as much as Soloth?

Sorry - I meant to clarify that and got interrupted.

I have NOT tried Wylemuir expansion yet, and have only used the single wyvern included with Catcombs & Castles. However, it was developed separately where the Soloth expansion was actually developed at the same time so (in my opinion) has closer ties to the base game.

I trust that Wyverns will be a great expansion too, and if it looks really appealing then it's probably worth grabbing, but it wouldn't be the first place that I'd look to expand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CardBoard Bear

near Los Angeles
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
have you played this game at all? I understand your reluctance if you've never tried it to spend a few hundred $ to get all boxes...

if you don't like this game too much, then there's no expansion that is a must have. there's a lot of content in the base game. except there are only 6 heroes, and 2 of them are not marked for beginners, so basically your first few games are with those 4 heroes. I don't think that's a problem, just showing that there is more variety in monsters than in heroes in the base game.

if you like this game a little bit, any expansion that adds heroes would be good. the resurrection pack 1 with the 4 girls is great, as it has Larra the huntress, a strong hero that I think is particularly fun to play as it has a wolf companion.

if you like this game a lot (like I do), then you would want all the expansions. as suggested above, Soloth has more heroes, monsters, rooms, items and Villain Lords so it's a great choice.

if you want to risk it, I'd say buy everything they have. if you're not sure, buy C3E and the pack with the 4 girls and/or Soloth, and then buy the rest in one go later. that only costs you an extra shipping and a bit of savings from not using the bundles - you probably lose about $30 in exchange for trying it out first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.