Subject: Solo game while my son is in hospital rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Maricich
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hello everyone!

First time posting. Crazy story for everyone.

On Halloween of last year my pregnant wife and I flew out to California to visit some family. While on vacation, my wife started bleeding. She was in the hospital for 2 weeks while we attempted to keep our baby in as long as possible. He was born just 23 weeks into the pregnancy, and is now in the hospital growing. Hes a month old now, but they don't expect him to be able to leave until March / April.

With being thousands of miles from home, my wife being ill, and having our son so early, all routine has been thrown out the window. At home, I had a weekly, evening get together with friends where we would play board and card games together. I'm really missing that time, and would love to play something during what small amount of free time i have during the day.

I was wondering if anyone had any solo game suggestions that they could recommend? Any recommendations would be wonderful, but if they also meet any of the below criteria, it would be even more amazing!

1. Solo/2 player: The only person i could play with is my wife, and she (like me) is normally extremely tired whenever we have free time. but if the game also supports 2 players for when shes up for it, that would be awesome.
2. I don't already own: I miss onirim like crazy and wish i had the forethought to bring it, but id prefer not to purchase a game i already own. If i do though, i can just donate it to the hospital/housing development im staying at when im done with it.
3. Portable-ish: Id love to be able to take it back with me. Only flew with a weeks worth of clothes in a backpack and suitcase, so unless i mail it (which im sure will happen for weve already accumulated a lot being here over the past 2 months) i wont be able to bring it back with me. Again, could always donate it.
4. Gameplay less than 2 hours / save game state: Im either working or at the hospital all day. I normally dont have that long to play for games nomatter the day, so if its something i could play in a couple hours or pack back up in a box and save where I left off, that would be great.
5. Something thought provoking: I cant keep playing Klondike. I love strategy, puzzle, engine builder, dice rolling, ccg, lcgs, more complex games where you really have to focus and think.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this. Its really been a rough time with my son being on life support and fighting to make it in this world. Your assistance brings me a bit closer to what i had back at home before all this happened. I can't express how much it means to me.

TLDR; What are some solo games you recommend that are more complex than Klondike?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my favorites:

Friday

Coffee Roaster

I hope your family has a better 2018 than the end of 2017.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get an Android tablet and take a whole slew of games soloable with you.
Mine has
Splendor
San Juan
Ticket to ride
Terra mystical
Carcasonne
Hive
Eclipse
And more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
CO
flag msg tools
Burgle Bros. plays great from 1-4 players. You can only get it from the designer at http://www.burglebros.com/ For a one player game, you'd want to take two or more characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've a smartphone, Onirim has an app for both Android and iOS and the base game should be free.

EDIT: Tiny Epic Quest also packs a lot of strategy in a very tiny box and can be played solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Roby
United States
Ballston Spa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give Tiny Epic Galaxies or One Deck Dungeon a shot.

Edit: I hope everything works out ok with your new baby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I don’t have any great suggestions, as Onirim is out of the question, I’m afraid. However, Mint Works is a fun, quick and incredibly portable game that makes a great solitaire puzzle and fun multiplayer game. Also recommend Freecell above Klondike if you only have a deck of cards with you - it’s a much more engaging game imo.

That said, I wish you and your family all the best, I hope you’re all home very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought "finished!" It's a fun, brain teaser of a game that I've really enjoyed much more than I thought I would (small box, relatively small footprint).

I like Nautilon, too, which seems to fit in the Onirim vein.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny B
United States
California
flag msg tools
Cardboard Conundrum wrote:
Mint Works is a fun, quick and incredibly portable game that makes a great solitaire puzzle and fun multiplayer game.

Mint Works is currently between printings. It's hard to find right now. There is a preorder at Five24 Labs Mint Works
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Davis
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ive never played it, but what about Hostage Negotiator. ive never played it, but ive heard its good, and its only 20 bucks on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Van-Ryder-Games-VRG003-Negotiator/dp/...

anyways i hope things work out for you and your family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Jump Drive (with the solo campaign variant).
Nice and quick for when you want to play 2 player, play a multi game campaign when you are on your own.

And if you like it, but want to strain your brain more, race for the galaxy (solo robot in the first expansion) is also great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Taylor
msg tools
mb
Caverna: Cave vs Cave would be a nice choice. Very thinky for a one player game, converts to 2p nicely, lasts 30 minutes and is portable.

Best wishes to your family for 2018!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you already own "Onirim", I can also recommend the APP for smartphones. I play it from time to time, if I'm too lazy to setup this little jewel. "Friday" is a great solo game as well.
I'd like to also recommend "Space Hulk: Death Angel", which is a coop game, but can be played solo.
"Port Royal" and "Tiny Epic Galaxies" have solo variants, too, which are enjoyable.
"Race for the Galaxy" has a solo variant in its first expansion "The Gathering Storm", but I've only played the base game. So I cannot tell, if it is good, but many people seem to like it.
Also, I think you can play any coop games solo, e.g. "Pandemic", although that is a bigger box.
Another bigger game, that has a great solo mode is "Terraforming Mars".

All the best for your family!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim woodley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb

Hello,

If you would like to make a foray into wargames, then perhaps look into the SoS series from VPG. There are lots of different titles to choose from. They are easy to set-up, small footprint, and will not take
long for you to get into play...they are good, but very basic grand
strategy wargames for the most part, with play lasting from between a
1/2 hour to an hour.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.