Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Stock market games are usually pretty good and it is hard to mess them up. The hard part is making them fun. Gnomes of Zavandor does a pretty good job being on the positive side of that equation.

First, the theme is just bizarre to me. Why does it have gnomes? They push that agenda with the art and theme, but it doesn't really connect with me at all. It is just sort of there. It is fine, but the theme relies a lot on browns which sort of makes the whole thing boring looking to me. Of course, someone will also think it is the best thing ever. Just different taste.

The game itself is a fairly good stock market game. It is not complicated and can be taught rather quickly to most gamers. To me, the game is light; some people might describe it as light to medium. During the action turn, there are a few things you can do but each thing is small and easy to digest. As you play through the game, the strategy will come more apparent (buy low and sell high and score VP). There is some direct conflict in driving the price of things up so other people have to pay more for it. Normal stock market manipulation goodness.

With the theme integrated, there are a few moving parts that makes the game a little bit more than just a normal stock market. If you squint just right, the theme comes through (as odd as it is) and it starts to make sense and you can see the big picture of the game. The game has a really nice flow to it and you have plenty of options during the game. At times it might feel like to VP, but there are a couple of different strategies you can attempt in the game. I'll let you figure out which one you like best.

Keeper. On the bubble.

Components:

The components are fine and presented with great use of cardboard. The games look and presentation is starting to age. During a period of time when browns were used a lot, the lack of bright popping colors tends to age this game. The cards are good quality. Nothing over all stands out (except for the first player marker), but everything is good. The theme is bizarre, but I can look past that.

Rule Book:

The rule book is pretty good. It is presented in full color with plenty of examples. Certain rules are highlighted in different colors. The start of the book covers all the concepts. While not the best rule book, you should be able to pay in about 15-20 minutes with a singe reading.

Flow of the Game:

This is a fairly light game from a rules stand point. The winner of the game is the player with the most victory points. You expected money, eh?

The game is played for a number of rounds until a player hits X Victory Points depending on the number of players.

The game has action rounds followed by a mining round.

A. Action Rounds: Each player gets three actions.

i. buy up to 4 cards of a single gem and then move the market price +1
ii. sell up to 4 cards of a single gem and then move the market price -1
iii. Draw 2 cards from a face down pile and keep 1
iv. Buy a mining rights tile - you pay in gemstones and this can affect the price market
v. Buy an item - jewelry/artifact - there is a card listed on each card
vi. Take a trader card
vii. Use a trader card (1-2 times)

B. Mining Rounds: If you have a mining rights tile, you may dig for gemstones indicated by the tiles.

1 gem stone for first mining rights tile
2 gem stones for each additional mining rights tile of the same type
1 gem stone of his choice for a wild gemstone

Target price decreases equal to the number of gems mined. Then, the market price of a gem is set to the current current price.
viii. Take 4 gold

Should I buy this game?:

If you like stock market games, this game is very solid. The production and the game is aging so I don't how much longer it will last. It is solid and that's about where I put it. If you really like stock market games, it is well worth checking out.

Keeper. Barely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad i stumbled across this review. I've found your 'purge' reviews in the past to really line up with what i like so I have hope that this thrift find will eventually make it to my table.

Just played Young Jacob Marley yesterday/today and was quite impressed with the game...i wonder how this one stacks up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Barronmore wrote:
I'm glad i stumbled across this review. I've found your 'purge' reviews in the past to really line up with what i like so I have hope that this thrift find will eventually make it to my table.

Just played Young Jacob Marley yesterday/today and was quite impressed with the game...i wonder how this one stacks up?

Welcome. You can subscribe to the geek list and/or the You Tube feed. I haven't played Young Jacob Marley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's A Cheapass Game they just released free for Chirstmas as a PNP remake of Jacob Marley, Esq. It's 72 cards, plus a sheet of paper for the market and you just provide enough money to cover the rest (we used poker chips, they work great). Solid and fun market manipulation game.

I've not watched your video reviews (as I'm usually at work when I visit the Geek), but subscribing to your geeklist is a great idea. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.