Spirit Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: Skipping powers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tristan Archer
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
So I can skip any part of a power? Land of Haunts and Embers says add 1 blight. Can I skip that entirely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schlepphorst
msg tools
No. You can totally skip a power, but not part of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Archer
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Sweet, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reale
msg tools
mbmb
The only way to skip part of a power is to voluntary choose not to meet an elemental threshold even though you actually have the elements.

Other than that, you either choose to use all of a power or none of it (though you still get its elements either way).

Powers that have a drawback, like Land of Haunts and Embers, tend to be under-costed to make up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
What could possibly possess you to think you can skip the drawbacks of powers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Kim
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
Follow up: Say I meet the second threshold for "Darkness Swallows the Unwary" (so, gather one explorer, then destroy two explorers and add one fear per explorer destroyed). If I target a land containing 2 explorers, but no adjacent lands contain explorers, I can still use the power (following the "Do As Much As You Can" principle). However, if any adjacent lands contain explorers, I must gather one if I want to destroy any, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
draxinusom wrote:
Follow up: Say I meet the second threshold for "Darkness Swallows the Unwary" (so, gather one explorer, then destroy two explorers and add one fear per explorer destroyed). If I target a land containing 2 explorers, but no adjacent lands contain explorers, I can still use the power (following the "Do As Much As You Can" principle). However, if any adjacent lands contain explorers, I must gather one if I want to destroy any, correct?
Correct. This is often annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to thank this thread for making me realize I've been playing Shadows all wrong. Time to retry that solo game I just lost!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TakeWalker wrote:
I would like to thank this thread for making me realize I've been playing Shadows all wrong. Time to retry that solo game I just lost!
Is there a FAQ question that would have helped you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa. Almost 100 plays and I had no idea you could play a power to gain its elements without trigger its effects.

surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pureka

Massachusetts
msg tools
StormKnight wrote:
Whoa. Almost 100 plays and I had no idea you could play a power to gain its elements without trigger its effects.

surprise

When you really think about it, you kindof HAVE to be able to do this.

Let's say you play a slow power that requires a sacred site to target from. But you goofed something up and a ravage blight destroys your only sacred site. Now you have a power in play that you are not legally allowed to target anything with. So you have, essentially, played a power for the elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would just fall into the "do as much of the power as you can" rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.