Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Catching Fire: Shuffling the Deck, other than having the worst subtitle to a game ever, is a decent game that has the name Hunger Games on the box. There is a lot in that sentence to talk about. First off, why call a game "Shuffling the Deck". Who thought that was a good idea? So bizarre. The game has Hunger Games on the front and names of characters on cards, but the game play has nothing to do with the movie/books and the game is devoid of any art. Whatsoever. Nothing.

The game makes little sense per its theme. You want to line up the characters in the Hunger Games but there are people like Effie that are in the Hunger Games but not in the Hunger Games in the movie or the books. I would gather that who ever designed this game have not seen any of the movies or read the books.

What do you get? You get a little tactical card game. The game is decent, but nothing huge. This isn't a great game by any stretch of any imagination. Not even the imagination of Dr. Seuss. Nope, his out there mind could not even think of this game to be great. Yet, it is something to pass the time. The is totally a cash in on the name alone, but you can still have some fun with. The decisions in the game, while not plentiful, are impactful (if someone doesn't screw up what you are trying to do.

I don't think this will be anything you want to seek out. The game is bland, the art is non existent, and there isn't a lot to catch your fire.

Purge.

Components:

The components are not very good. The game lacks any art work at all. Katness is a stick figure with a bow and arrow. I'm not joking. The characters in the game are stick figures. And they don't even try to look like the characters. It is laughable and I'm surprised someone made that decision. The entire game is made of cards and they are subpar. The backpack cards are nice as they help you pick up the cards. Yep, there are cards to help you pick up the cheap cards. Nice touch.

Rule Book:

The rule book is fold out book and cheaply made. Yet, the rules are easy to follow and easy to learn. It should take you about 10 minutes to read the book and about 3-5 minutes to teach the game. This might be the best part about the game.

Flow of the Game:

The characters are randomly laid out in order. The players will randomly be dealt three characters that they "are". You want these three characters to score as many points as possible.

Actions:

1. Choose one of the three face up movement cards and do what it says (this will normally move the characters around to put them in a different order). They can also make a character hide or not be hiding (a character can score points only when they are not hiding).

2. There are challenge cards that will tell you how the line will score this round. Normally, being in the front of the line is best but it could be the 2nd, 4th and 6th people in line also. You want your guys in these places to score points.

3. You can flip everyone out of hiding as an action.

4. You can guess if they are in the alliance. If you are correct, you score half their points and if you are wrong you lose your turn.

* You want your characters out of hiding with the most support under their cards.

Should I buy this game?:

I can only recommend this to people who want a really light card game. It is a neat little design, but mainstream card game sort of game. You have to not mind bad components and a game with zero art work. The most hardcore of Hunger Games fans may want to collect this the way you collect a Monopoly version but never play it. Otherwise, this is decent but there are so much better games on the market.

Purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1579 Catching Fire: Shuffling the Deck: A card game that has the name Hunger Games on it
That is kind of the point of all the "shuffling the deck" games...

Shuffling the Deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
That is kind of the point of all the "shuffling the deck" games...

Shuffling the Deck

I normally hate things like this. A crap game with an IP thrown on top of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.