Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Manning
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am enjoying the challenging game play with my prototype of Unbroken, but I am not as keen on some of the layout. The pictures are great. I enjoy those and they draw my in to the game, but the layout on the weapons, skills, and conditions leave something to be desired. They are a bit too monochrome for me and as someone else mentioned, the medium and large effort symbols are confusing, especially as they are somewhat inverted from the skill table to the cards. What about something like what I've included here?

It's smaller. It has shape and different colors to differentiate the effort, and the weapon is a bit more dynamic. Plus the stuff I used for this was either royalty-free and manipulated by me or created by me.

That said, I think the weapons can be poker-sized cards. I do like the irregular size for the characters though.

EDIT: I guess the size might have to stay at the current dimensions as the crafting portion on some cards would require room. Anyway, the thoughts on color and shape still holds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Check out Unbroken: solo game of survival and revenge.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for sharing this feedback, Dan. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the gameplay and the illustrations.

The monochrome look of the game and the somewhat sparse design was a conscious choice as we tried to transmit a certain desperate, grim aesthetic. The layout and the colour scheme you suggest would be at home in a different game - perhaps a more classic dungeon crawl. The icons and weapons of Unbroken were created specifically to translate a certain kind of atmosphere.

I see in your edit that you already caught on the reason for the weapon cards' larger size . You are spot on.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to your impressions of the game overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Check out Unbroken: solo game of survival and revenge.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should also note that several ideas that are used in your markup - geometric shapes, color coding - were present in warlier stages of the design and were removed.

The iconography gets internalized rather easily so I would be curious to hear whether these frustrations are still there after a few more plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.