6 Posts

Suburbia» Forums » General

Subject: Natural Disaster/Crime/Medical Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Warkentin
Canada
flag msg tools
Let's face it; this game is pretty much Sim City anyways. What about an expansion where you can get police stations, fire halls and hospital/ambulance dispatch? The tiles would be red. If you don't get them when disasters hit (flipping a tile in one of the stacks) you will suffer by receiving a population reduction, a reputation reduction, or certain amount of tiles are removed from your borough. All of the penalties will be on tile and will vary based on theme.

Here are some examples
-Riot
-Fire
-Flood
-Earthquake
-Hurricane (maybe not that good because oceans aren't really in game)
-Tornado

This might not be that fun though, I remember turning off all disasters so I could happily build my little Pleasantville without any intrusions. If I wanted stress I could always play Pandemic.

Maybe someone else has already proposed this expansion. If so I second it. Give us more city building awesomeness!

Or come out with a way to make the game go 4 hours and each player having over 30 tile city!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crane
United Kingdom
Sandbach
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd certainly be up for purchasing expansions, love the game!

In fact it surprises me this isn't one of those games on Kickstarter having a Deluxified edition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hatfield
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had put a lot of thought into something like this. I have about 8-10 "disasters" that could affect a town and ways to mitigate the disaster.

I also planned to use some of the "silly" tiles from Suburbia 5 star and change them to appropriately useful tiles like Police Station, Hospital, Broadcasting Station, and others.

I thought of two possible ways to use the disasters in game. One would be a card that people could choose to purchase instead of a tile. That card would have a disaster which they could play against someone either immediately or in the future.
But part of me thought that might make it where the person in the lead in money could start buying up the cards and walloping anyone who started getting close to them in population.

So I came up with an alternate idea, which was to put a red tile at random places in the B and C decks. The player whose turn it is that cycles a red tile must immediately draw a disaster card and work out the result. That way a disaster just "randomly" happens, and it cannot be used vindictively against another person.

I'm not sure the best way, but I'm leaning towards the second method over the first method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ford
United States
Suburb of Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I submitted a recommendation for this where one would flip the tile and then it would affect various players based on certain criteria.

Personally, I think this is great just because my group is super competitive and random elements like this can add new flavor with little effort.

Example: One player could be way out in front but the moment a tsunami tile flips then all properties that are against a lake are affected.

Anyways...love this conversation point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilkens
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're going with Sim City disasters, Godzilla needs to be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hatfield
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some ideas that I've come up with. I'm just not entirely sure how to have them happen.

One way is to have red slips of paper that are randomly placed between the tiles. When a tile is flipped, revealing a red marker, a random event is drawn. There would be a number of red markers equal to the number of players, placed in each Letter pile. (so 3 players would have 3 in A, 3 in B, and 3 in C)

The other way would be a little more interactive, but also feature a bit of "gotcha" which some people don't like. It would use the same red markers randomly placed in the piles, but when they turned it up, they would pick a player and that chosen player would have to draw a random event.

The random events are:
Increased Crime - lose $ for each Commercial lot you have that does not have a corresponding Civic for it. Amount lost is equal to the # of Residential tiles in your town x3. If you have a Police Station in your town, the amount of money lost is halved (round down).

Smog/Pollution - Pollution from your factories is affecting the people of the town. You must pay $3 for each Industry in your town to clean the air. If you are unable to pay the full amount, your Reputation goes down by 1 at the START of each of your turns.

Unemployment - Your town's Reputation counts as 0 (but do not move the token to 0, it just counts as a 0). You have 4 turns to build a Commercial tile in your town. For each turn that you do NOT build a Commercial tile, suffer -1 Population. If you build an Industrial tile within those 4 turns, you will not suffer the Population loss. If you build a Commercial tile, your Reputation is again counts as whatever level it is at. If you go 4 turns without building a Commercial tile, you suffer a loss of 2 Reputation and then your Reputation counts as whatever level it is adjusted to.

Snowstorm - Pay $4 for each Commercial tile you have in your town to remove the snow. Failure to pay the full amount causes your town to lose 2 Income. If you have a Broadcasting Station, reduce the amount you need to pay to $3.

Traffic Congestion - Count up the number of Residential and Commercial tiles in your town. If you have 5 or less, pay $ equal to the amount of tiles +1. If you have between 6 and 10 tiles, pay $ equal to the amount of tiles +3. If you have 11 or more tiles, pay $ equal to the amount of tiles +5. If you have a Subway System, subtract 5 from the amount you need to pay. If you have an Elevated Train, subtract 3 from the amount you need to pay. If you have Mass Transit, subtract 2 from the amount you need to pay. If you have more than one of the above, add the amounts together and then subtract. Thus having a Mass Transit and a Subway would give you a discount of 7 from the amount you owe. For each $ you cannot pay, lose 1 Population. For each RED line you pass moving back due to this, lose 1 Reputation.

Tornado - choose 1 Residential tile on the edge of your town to destroy. Remove it from play. If you have no Residential on the edge, then lose a Civic. If no Civic, then lose a Commercial. If none of the above are on the edge, you lose 1 Population.

Earthquake - Choose 1 hex tile to destroy, damage caused by the earthquake. Additionally, if you have any Freeways or Elevated Trains in your town, they are lost in addition to the 1 hex tile you choose.

Citywide Elections - Elections cost money and they also tend to cause a number of unhappy people to form. Unhappy people tend to move away. Count up your Residential tiles. Divide that number by 2 (round up). Lose that amount of Population. You can pay $2 per Population lost to keep them from moving away.

Fire - Fire has started in town. It must be attacked to stop it from spreading. Roll 1D6. 1-2 = Residential tile, 3-4 = Commercial tile, 5-6 Industrial tile. After determining a type, assign each tile of that type a number and roll the die to determine which tile has the fire. Place the Fire marker on the tile. While the Fire marker is on the tile, temporarily lose 1 Reputation for a Residential tile or 1 Income for a Commercial or Industrial tile. To attack the fire, the town must pay $ depending on the type of tile on fire. Residential = 1/2 the value of the tile. Commercial = Value of the tile, Industrial = 2x the Value of the tile. When the Fire token has been paid, remove the fire token and return the Reputation or Income for the burning tile. If the Fire token is NOT attacked on the turn it occurs, it will spread at the start of the player's next turn. Roll 1D6 and spread the fire in that direction (1 is up, 2 is upper right, 3 is lower right, 4 is bottom, 5 is lower left, 6 is upper left). If the fire cannot spread in that direction, it does not spread that turn. If the fire spreads to another tile, place another Fire token on that tile and adjust Reputation or Income as needed. If a Civic catches on fire, Reputation is lost. A Civic (grey) tile cost the Value x 1.5 to stop the fire. If a Border is in the direction rolled, the border catches on fire. Borders will adjust Income or Reputation, depending on what was provided by the Border. Reduce the appropriate tracker the same amount that the Border provided on the Upper Right. If the bonus provided was $ or Population, then reduce Income 1 space for $ and Reputation 1 space for Population. The cost to attack the fire for a Border is 3x the value of the Border.
The following tiles cannot catch fire: Lakes, Lake Borders, Desert Border, Redevelopment Planner.

Worker Strike - Industrial workers have gone on strike. Roll 1D6 and that many of your Industrial tiles have Worker Strike markers placed on them. Each Worker Strike marker costs your city 1 Income. You must pay the workers to get them to stop striking. Pay the cost of the Industrial tile to remove the Worker Strike marker. When the marker is removed, increase your Income by 1.

Illness Epidemic - Illness is spreading throughout town. Locals doctors are at a loss to determine the cause of the illness. Pay 2$ for each Residential and Commercial you have Reduce the cost to 1$ for each Residential and Commercial if you have a Water Purification Plant. If you have a Hospital present in your town, you can pay a flat 3$ total (regardless of the number of Residential/Commercial you have) and the Hospital is able to discover the root of the illness and issue a cure for the illness. Gain +1 Reputation if you cure the illness with a Hospital.
If you are unable to pay for each sick tile, place a Sickness token on the tiles that are unpaid. Sick tiles cannot be Developed and each Residential area that is sick will lose 1 Population each turn until paid. Each Sick Commercial area will add another Sickness token each turn they are unpaid. When the total Sickness tokens on a Commercial area matches the $ value of the tile, an Outbreak occurs. The Commercial tile is removed and a Sickness tile is placed into each adjacent Residential, Civic, Commercial, Industrial and Border Tile. Sickness on those other tiles perform the same way as on a Commercial tile unless the $ is paid for each Sickness token on each tile to treat the people, in which case the Sickness tokens are removed. Not all Sickness tokens need to be paid off in order to pay on a tile. Some Sickness tokens can be paid for and removed, leaving some remaining. Those remaining will have to be paid for on a later turn to cure the tile.

Education Concerns - The future of the city relies on the education of the children. You must have a school for every 3 Residential areas you have, otherwise the parent's become upset at the lack of educational funding. If you do not have enough schools to account for every 3 Residential areas in your town, you must pay 1$ for each Residential area NOT covered by a school. You must pay this EVERY turn until you have the requisite number of schools.

Drought - It has been unseasonably hot and dry. The winds have parched the land. People are irritable and food is becoming more costly due to the drought. Pay 5$ if you do not have a Lake present in your town. Failure to pay will result in any Farm and/or Slaughterhouse in your town going out of business. Remove the tile and deduct the current benefit the farm is bestowing upon your town. If you have no Farms in your town, then any Restaurants are affected by the increase in costs. Suffer -1 Income for each Restaurant you have in your town until you put a Lake into your town.

Flooding - Heavy rains has resulted in floods in areas unprepared for it. Areas adjacent to lakes, bays, or oceans experience flooding. You must pay $ for flood mitigation and repairs. Pay half the $ amount of each tile affected by the flooding. Failure to pay for a tile will result in that tile being unusable until substantial reconstruction is performed. Turn any unpaid tiles into lakes but DO NOT collect any money for the tiles adjacent to them. Turn the letter on the lake upside down in relation to the real lakes. In order to rebuild the tile, you must pay the full amount of the tile again. When the full amount is paid, flip the inverted, upside down Lake tile back over to the working side and orient it properly. If no lakes are present in your town, no flooding occurs.

There would have to be new tiles created to fully use these. I'm not skilled at all in making tiles that look the same as what is in the game. But if I could, I would make the following new tiles:

New Tiles will be:
2x Police Station (Civic)
1x Broadcasting Station (Civic)
1x Elevated Train (Industrial)
3x Hospital (Civic)
1x Subway (Industrial)
2x Fire Station (Civic)
1x Mass Transit (Civic)

I haven't worked out the whole aspect of cost for the new tiles or what affect they would have when placed. I've only thought of how they could work with the Random Events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.