Subject: How many god cards could a player possibly acquire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." - Salvador Dali
badge
Mostly harmless
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading a thread in the Bora Bora rules forum the other night in which the poster asked if there is a hand limit for god cards in Bora Bora (answer: there is not). In the thread, someone commented that the only hand limit is the practical one dictated by how many cards a player could possibly collect given the number of actions possible during a game. I think they (or another commenter) made an off-hand remark that this practical limit was probably less than the god card deck size.

I took this as a challenge. Would it be possible for a single player to obtain all 60 of the god cards (12 each of blue, green, red, white, and yellow)? I don't mean in an actual game where the players were behaving rationally. I mean in a game where one player was pursuing this goal, and the other players were helping them accomplish it (primarily by staying out of the way).

I have arrived at an answer (which I will provide at the end of this post, hidden by a spoiler tag), but in case anyone else wants to try, here are the rules I followed when attempting this:
- For all player choices and random events in the game, I get to choose their outcome. This includes dictating which god cards and task tiles each player starts with, the starting hut locations, the arrangement of the jewelry tiles, which man/woman/task tiles appear each round, the values of each player's dice rolls, etc.
- All regular game rules must be obeyed
- 4 player game (although I do not believe this matters)

Without further ado, my solution to the challenge...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Our 4 player game consists of Our Hero (who is attempting this challenge) and his generically-named friends, Player A, Player B, and Player C.

Player A, Player B, and Player C each begin with a blue god and a white god.
Otherwise the starting state of the game does not matter.

Current inventory of Our Hero: 2 god cards, 1 god tile, 2 offerings, 0 men, 0 women

Round 1

Phase A:
Our Hero takes 2 "God card" women, and uses the Temple action (taking a card with his fire bonus).
Players A, B, and C spend all 6 of their god cards placing dice on other spaces, placing no priests in the temple.

Phase B:
Our Hero spends his god tile as a green god to double the card output of his two women (gaining 4 god cards total)

Phase C:
Our Hero gets the god tile for having most priests in the temple.

Current inventory of Our Hero: 7 god cards, 1 god tile, 2 offerings, 0 men, 2 women

Round 2

Phase A:
Our Hero uses a 6 on the Helper action to move 2 huts to spot 12 and take 1 god card. He also takes 1 "God card" woman and 1 "God card" man.
Players A, B, and C spend this and all subsequent rounds only using the "Fishing" action.

Phase B:
Our Hero spends his god tile as a green god to double the card output of his two women (gaining 6 god cards), as well as using his man to gain 1 god card.

Phase C:

Current inventory of Our Hero: 15 god cards, 1 god tile, 2 offerings, 1 man, 3 women

Round 3

Phase A:
Our Hero uses a 6 on the Helper action to move 2 huts to spot 12 and take 1 god card. He also takes 2 "God card" men.

Phase B:
Our Hero spends his god tile as a green god to double the card output of his two women (gaining 6 god cards), as well as using his men to gain 3 god cards.

Phase C:

Current inventory of Our Hero: 25 god cards, 1 god tile, 2 offerings, 3 men, 3 women

Round 4

Phase A:
Our Hero uses a 6, 5, and 4 on the Helper action to take 7 god cards.

Phase B:
Our Hero spends his god tile as a green god to double the card output of his two women (gaining 6 god cards), as well as using his men to gain 3 god cards.

Phase C:

Current inventory of Our Hero: 41 god cards, 1 god tile, 2 offerings, 3 men, 3 women

Round 5

Same as round 4

Current inventory of Our Hero: 57 god cards, 1 god tile, 2 offerings, 3 men, 3 women

Round 6

Same as round 5, except that during phase A, Our Hero takes the final 3 god cards in the deck. Had the deck been unlimited, the round would have resulted in him having a total of 73 god cards at the end of the game.

That is the highest total I was able to achieve. I don't see a way to do better, but I'd love to see one if anyone can think of it.

And yes, I know I have far too much time on my hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." - Salvador Dali
badge
Mostly harmless
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Maximum hand size
Oh, I forgot, I found the original thread that inspired this odyssey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Maximum hand size
mitcharf wrote:
I was reading a thread in the Bora Bora rules forum the other night in which the poster asked if there is a hand limit for god cards in Bora Bora (answer: there is not)

hmm,.... based on the subject you gave this thread I thought this was going to be that exact question.... maybe you could give this one a more descriptive subject... something like...

Subject: Theoretical Maximum God cards a single player could acquire

imho ymmv

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Mostly harmless
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
maybe you could give this one a more descriptive subject...

Maybe I should have stuck with my original idea for a subject: All your god cards are belong to me

laugh

I've modified the subject line to reduce the chance of confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.