Matthew Austin
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

My team and I have been working on a new company logo design for the new year, and I'd love to get your feedback! Here's the new logo:

Thanks,
Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you can always do the test:
- shrink it so you can only see it from very far away. Can you recognize it? (no you cannot, better fix that)
- convert it to grayscale - does that change anything big (I suppose not, good job)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There's more tiny things about it that I don't like than things I do.

On the other hand, it's a company logo and will usually be tiny, so I wouldn't invest too much in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaleo Sills
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm....love the graphic design concept. My only critique is that the grey cube is only "mirrored" on one side and doesn't seem to fit the name of the company. With a great name like Mirror Box, I want to see inside the box with the infinite effect that multiple mirrors have. Probably makes it way too busy though. Just my two cents...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Amburn
United States
Fort Scott
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirror Box is an unusual name, but that aside

-The kerning in the logo is uncomfortable. The lowercase r's are on top of each other and the o in a way that is different from the o in 'Box'.

-The cube is shiny on one side, but shouldn't it be shiny/reflective on all sides as a mirror?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks more like an ice cube than an actual mirror box but other than that I like it.
The font looks both serious and playful.
The colours are soothing, while the shades of blue look festive at the same time. It's got a feeling of "ta-daaaah"

Looks refreshing when everyon's turning into a Windows 10 kind of branding (like the dreadful new Asmodee logo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For me it's too grandiose. The dawn of a new era! When I see the logo I'm ready to be disappointed by the game. But perhaps it's the American way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Geek
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
Heroes & Gods : The Master of Dreams
badge
Heroes & Gods : The Master of Dreams
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add some dots to the box and make it look like a die otherwise that is just a 3d box. You can express more than just a box, you can link it to the gaming area just by adding some dots to that box. My 2 cents.

Hope it helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Guiomar
msg tools
Throw them enough and you will understand.
badge
"Oh it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh."
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the box should be mirrored on all sides to reinforce the great name you chose. That's my main critique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Johnson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there is nothing wrong with the logo as such, its not bad in any way, but when I look at it the words that come to mind are 'generic', 'normal' and 'ordinary'.
It's a nice normal, ordinary logo that I'd assume belongs to a company that likes to produce games about trading in the Mediterranean, converting some cubes into some other cubes, and trying to run your economy as efficiently as possible.

So, if you have decided to take a hard turn into the mundane after producing Chaosmos, then it's perfect. If, however, you want to come across as daring imagineers of the board game world........ maybe less grey?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Things I like:

- The name
- The cursive font for Games
- The blue polygon
- The grey/silver ribbon

Things I don't like:

- The box. makes me think of Unity 3D, and does not match the name for me. I also think it should be a different color from grey or blue, to pop from both colors. Also maybe the box can be at a different angle, or drawn differently to look like mirror images of itself (as another user suggested)

- Mirrorbox kerning is visually irritating. Space it out at least enough so no letters overlap. If you want to overlap, it needs to seem more purposeful and consistant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
When I seen the logo I had a flashback to 1990's video games company logo's, It does not inspire me to take an interest in your games based on the logo, it is too bland and generic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you were to move the cube into the centre and mirror all the sides it would be much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin & Ryan Pearson Games
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I think the "games" part of the logo is going to be too small when it's shrunk down.
Most people look at the symbol rather than the name once they know who it is. Being a mirrored cube is fine, but you may want to put an M and B on two of the sides to help reinforce it. "Oh MB stands for mirror box".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it should be a box not a cube.
What others have said about the letters looking off.
Agree Games should be more prominent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, there's a lot going on. What's most important? The name? The shield? The box? I'd probably choose one of those and focus on it, possibly eliminating the other two completely. I like the "mirrored box" concept best and think it could be stylized in such a way as to be distinctive and easily noted from a distance without the other two elements.

I'm personally a bigger fan of the old Portal Games logo over the new one but I think both all three illustrate my preferences well.

Old:

Newer:

Current:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
malcolm sutherland
msg tools
I agree with the text feeling off. Strange font choice?
My first reaction was that it looks like a car company logo but with too much detail.
But I love your company name! It's great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessie Cordova
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Matthew Austin,

I don't write on these forums often, nearly at all, sorry if my formatting isn't the greatest.

I am a graphic designer by trade, and if you'd like further help and editing on your design, I'm for hire as a freelancer.

Now to the critique:

I often ask clients questions to help them (along with myself) understand what they're looking for in their logo's, and overall company vision. What story are they trying to portray for their company?

1. Do you have a purpose as to why the letters are layered over each other? They're not all overlapped, why are some doing this and others not?
2. Why did you choose that font?
3. What is the feeling you're trying to portray with this logo?
4. Line weights throughout the logo are off and do not compliment each other, there is no balance.
5. There is too much going on with the coloring, and it does not read well visually. (I can give a more in-depth critique on this, just PM me)
- One thing I will say is the shading isn't natural, the boxes shadow isn't following naturally with the backlit coloring behind it.
6. What is the logo? The cube? All of it together? The letterings? There is a lot going on, and it's not quite cohesive. They can be all together but would need to be tweaked so they are one cohesive logo. You don't have to eliminate everything, there are logos that have all three factors: an illustration/icon, the name, and borders. cool

https://jessiecordova.myportfolio.com/logofolio-2017 <--- my credentials, I did my first board game company logo last year.

The colors for the logo are great, the blue especially, but grey always gives off a corporate boring feel, you don't see grey colored logo's for a reason, that color doesn't read well to audiences; especially for a fun board game company. Grey is great as a secondary palette, but not primary.

Hope this helped, please feel free to reach out to me for more detail. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.