BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Table Rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sol
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So over NYE, I brought a bunch of my games over to a friend's house. Two of my brand new games got spilled on. I was upset but I tried not to let it ruin my night. I think in the future I'm going to be setting rules that no drinks be on the table! I'm hoping to build a game table soon with cup holders so in that sense I'd be okay with it. Do you have any table rules?

Also I'd like to mention, if you ever spill on your friends games, offer to replace it, don't just shrug and say sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Life is too short and fun is too precious to Sully with table rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
No drinks at the table is an easy rule that my friends have never complained about. I got a few TV trays that people can set up to the side and set drinks on.

I also have an almost-no-food rule. Skittles and other clean candy works. If someone brings some real food, we take a snack break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rojagooner wrote:
So over NYE, I brought a bunch of my games over to a friend's house. Two of my brand new games got spilled on. I was upset but I tried not to let it ruin my night. I think in the future I'm going to be setting rules that no drinks be on the table! I'm hoping to build a game table soon with cup holders so in that sense I'd be okay with it. Do you have any table rules?

Also I'd like to mention, if you ever spill on your friends games, offer to replace it, don't just shrug and say sorry.

Have a neighbor's kid stuff some cards in their mouth, chew 'em up, spit 'em out, then have the parent go "Meh... sorry"

Last game played at that house without caging the kid's maw shut - ala Silence of the Lambs. I fashioned my own... threw it in my travel gaming bag. Sometimes I strap it on a messy adult who can't chew with their mouth shut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's your house, set whatever rules you like. But if you bring your games over to someone else's house or a public place - especially for a party - don't bring anything you're unwilling to risk being damaged. Shit happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Tobal
Spain
Arroyomolinos
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My games only come on the table if all players agree to put their drinks on sattelite tables and to avoid messy/greassy food while playing. Games are expensive, it's not unreasonable to take the necessary precautions to avoid ruining them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though "accidents" do happen I like to think that they are mostly rare, an incident like this has yet to happen to my games. No rules when playing with responsible adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell McKinney
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
A dream can be a dream come true
badge
The grumpiest grump
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Though "accidents" do happen I like to think that they are mostly rare, an incident like this has yet to happen to my games. No rules when playing with responsible adults.

Same here. We don't have any rules like this for my group, and we've never had an incident. We are all adults and tend to keep our drinks out of the way, or somewhere else if we think there is a risk of them getting knocked over. If someone did happen to spill something though, sure I would be bummed out, but I know no one would do that on purpose. It'd be an accident, and I'm sure whoever did it would feel bad enough without me raising a fuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
rojagooner wrote:
Two of my brand new games got spilled on. I was upset but I tried not to let it ruin my night.

I took some games out just before New Year and was literally just explaining why I had gone to the trouble of getting a German first edition when one of the players back handed a glass of wine. This stuff happens, and games are for playing. Though I question the care being taken by a group if they managed to spill twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
no rules, rather go buy a new game than enforce rules on my friends. it's a social event kinda.

edit: that said, my friends understand that chicken wings or something greasy isn't something you eat while handling cards.

edit: if a game is OOP and never coming back i might ask someone to be a bit more cautious, same if it was some expensive KS only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is a party game with family I am not so worried but if it is an expensive game with gamers then its no drinks on the table
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Esbech
Denmark
Odense M
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had friends by that I've allowed to eat sticky desserts whilst we were playing. I trust them THAT much.

Usually I can ask people to not bend cards if they do it or something like that, as it is bad for the game. I've never had someone reacting badly to such a request. I'm sure people would stop playing with me if I started every play session with "Here are the rules for using my board games!" (The fact that I have legal education does weigh into my assumption. As I would probably have a complete set of clauses and exemptions which would take 2 hours to read aloud.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my friends has a no drinks on the table house rule.(by providing side tables) We tend to drink alcohol round his so the chance of incident is higher.
The only spillages on games I can recall involve alcohol.
Some of my Apples to Apples cards are slightly Guiness stained. - hasn’t effected playability though.

Never had an incident with soft drinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The quintessential dance between slobs and anal retentives.

If I pick a side I go with Felix Unger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nelag_macdahmer wrote:
edit: if a game is OOP and never coming back i might ask someone to be a bit more cautious, same if it was some expensive KS only.

Zark wrote:
If it is a party game with family I am not so worried but if it is an expensive game with gamers then its no drinks on the table

That's the thing, there's no never/always here.

If you're going to a social event with non-gamers -- like a freaking New Year's Eve party (seriously, you're all burying the lede on the OP) -- then you have to assume the guests won't be aware of any difference between a pristine copy of Dune and their kids' beat-up copy of Sorry. So you bring cheap, fun, social games understanding they might end up with a bit of schmutz on them, and you accept that any damage won't be perceived as a big deal because it's "just a toy."

But when you get your gamer friends together to bust out that copy of Dune, you absolutely get to set expectations for taking care of it.

Context matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the game and crowd. And the game depends on the crowd too.

Some of my games are not allowed near people that I do not trust will keep them in good condition. Other games I am less fanatic about, so they are played when the crowd is "loose".

In general you can go a long way by picking what to surround your game with.

Some food is better than other. Avoid greasy stuff, there are plenty of dry alternatives when it comes to snacks. Also, wine glasses are for dining, where there are less reaching back and forth across the table. Their balance is terrible and when they do topple they tend to spray wine all over the place as a result of recoil or the glass breaking. Neither red wine nor glass shards are nice in your games.
Thick based beer glasses tend to be much more stable. And if you go with low ones they stick up less (less chance of hitting them) and fall over less often. Bonus is that since they do not hold a full beer you can share and try many different ones in an evening.

If anything does happen. An apology is in order. Most board gamers know it sucks and an apology will not repair the game, but at least you acknowledged that you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have an unspoken rule for myself. If someone spills on or ruins a game they can offer to buy it or replace it. If not then we can play their games or we can take snack breaks. I don't know why people need to have their drinks at the game table. It's good to stand up every now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.