Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Yardmaster Express is a small little card game that is actually a retime of another game with a different name. It isn't anything special. Each round you have three cards to choose from that you can play or use the back of those cards for the wild side of it. It is impossible to have any long term planning as you don't know what card you will have on your turn and then you can only play what you have.

Due to the fact you have only one option on a turn, play a card, you sometimes are forced to play what you have rather than utilize a strategy. This is fine due to the length of the game. I've had some games end in 5-7 minutes. The longer someone as AP (which may be impossible in this game) the less you are likely to like this game.

This game is a perfect conversation game or a pub game. You bring this out, you share some juicy gossip with your friends and then you place a card on the table. The look of the cards is fine, but if you are color blind you have some work on your hands. Yes, the cards have different words on them for the colors but the font is small.

This is something you are likely to pick up cheap on a whim rather than something you will search out. If you really want a short game with simple game play, then you may have just found it.

Purge.

Components:

The components are okay. You get a small box with a magnetic clip. Great box! You get a cool train component that works as a first player marker. The cards are square and fairly good quality. There are words to tell you the different trains, but it means nothing when playing the game. You are just matching colors and numbers.

Rule Book:

The rule book is small, short on words, but explains the game in minutes. There are some examples and I found the game easy to learn in less than 5 minutes.

Flow of the Game:

The winner of the game is the player who scores the most points.

Game Turn:

1. Draw a card from the draw deck

2. Choose a card from your hand and it to your train face up or face down.

3. Pass your cards to the player on your left.

The trick of the game is to connect your train (cards) in a certain order. Each card is two rail cards with different numbers/colors. When you place a new card to your train, you must either match the number (4/4 for example) or the same color (two blues). On the back side of the cards is a wild color with the number 2 on it. You may always flip a card over to this side and use it but know it is worth less points at the end of the game. The game ends after a number of rounds depending on the player count.

At the end of the game, the player with the longest run of a single color gains 1 point per rail car in the set (this excludes wild cards of course).

Should I buy this game?:

This game is recommended for gamers who want a light, simple set collection game. The game plays super fast and that is going to appeal to some gamers. This is a fine pub game, but one I don't have time for anymore no matter how quick it plays. I would just rather do something else.

Purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1587 Yardmaster Express: Simple set collection with colors and numbers to make a Choo Choo Train
Unless you enjoy quick solo variants and then you have something that is a bit more thinky and just as quick. It is well worth it in this light and cheap too.

Yardmaster Express SoloPlay Rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NoDicePlease wrote:
Unless you enjoy quick solo variants and then you have something that is a bit more thinky and just as quick. It is well worth it in this light and cheap too.

Yardmaster Express SoloPlay Rules

I'll have to give this a shot. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.