Subject: Campaign with Rotating 6 PCs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Kieninger
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
My work gaming group is planning to start Gloomhaven this month. We have 6 players to rotate through, but don't want to share characters. Therefore we are each taking one of the 6 basics to start, but will only play 4 in any given session.

This is obviously going to complicate things a bit with the components and constrain things with items. Also will slow down XP on average.

It's a concession to including a couple more folks AND keep the game going twice a month despite adult schedules.

Any advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm actually thinking of soloing with all 6 starting characters, bring 3 in per mission and switching them around every time I go to town, just so I can try the different classes. So I'm interested in this thread also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no inherent problem with your plan. Have fun!

One bit of advice. Each character will have a personal goal, and many require you to do scenarios in certain categories or with certain qualities. I recommend you decide which scenarios you do to minimize characters missing out on scenarios that would particularly help them. To this end, let your personal goals be public, and/or come up with some system of registering interest in particular scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
I'm actually thinking of soloing with all 6 starting characters, bring 3 in per mission and switching them around every time I go to town, just so I can try the different classes. So I'm interested in this thread also.

I was going to do this.

One thing stopped me - lineages. By waiting, i can start the other three with a perk already. Part of me is still on the fence, but also it enables me to narrow my learning curve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is basically my plan too. The only thing I did component-wise is print out extra attack modifier decks to make setup a bit easier - no need to recreate each players attack modifier deck based on their perks every time you play. There's an easy way to do that in the thread here.

Otherwise, this is exactly my plan (as soon as my pre-order arrives). The only other thing I'm worried about is unlocking a new class for each person to play - haven't decided yet if we're going to have life-goal rewards be public (or at least guarantee they'll be different classes) or do something else. I may potentially just say "too bad, you might have to do a class that someone else already did."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres K
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been doing this since we got the game. We started out as Spellweawer, Tinkerer, Brute and Scoundrel but when one of us could not join and other could not wait, Cragheart came in and later - a mind thief.
I don't think we have run into any problems yet after 10 scenarios. Only that there is a character level difference.
--edited---
the only problem is that you might miss some of the fun and onyl get a recap of what happened Or some scenarios - I have no idea, how we would have done them without a tank-Brute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Sinnabell
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
I started with the same settings (6 char) and send 3 chars to a scenario.

I only wondering how to handle City Events? For all 6 chars or only for 3 which returns from quest or for the 3 chars which will leave the city before a quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
impish1234 wrote:
I started with the same settings (6 char) and send 3 chars to a scenario.

I only wondering how to handle City Events? For all 6 chars or only for 3 which returns from quest or for the 3 chars which will leave the city before a quest.

I did this throughout the entire game with no issues.

For this question, I always played it as the members of the party who were going out on a scenario, did the city quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something we are doing right now. Works great. Last night we played with 5 characters. Using the normal 4 player setup and scenario level +2. This worked like a charm so we now regularly consider 5 players to be an acceptabel player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.