Mystic Vale: Mana Storm» Forums » General

Subject: Silverwing Leader rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Harper

Bakersfield
California
msg tools
Was this leader supposed to be this weak? I loved the idea of 2 points for every Vale bought, but the details of this leader makes me choose the other leader I draft every time.

First, it only has one wild icon on Side 1, then it takes a whopping EIGHT Mana to flip him over! On Side 2, he keeps the wild, only gains one Mana, and has an ability that's easier to obtain by buying miscellaneous advancements here and there.

By the time I get this leader flipped, he might come up 2-3 times during the rest of the game. On the turns he's around, I have to BE ABLE to buy a Vale for 2 points or buy 2 vales for 4 points. What if I'm unable to buy vales when he's in play? His ability is wasted, and I have to wait many turns for him to cycle thru my deck again.

Or, I could skip using s leader altogether, and when I have 7-9 Mana to spend, instead buy one of the many advancements that give you 2 or more points "when played"--no need to buy any vales to get those points, and those advancements cost about the same as flipping over the leader.

And, you have 2 other advancement slots on the card left to fill in for new advancements with new effects that might combo together nicely.

With the Silverwing Leader, he takes up the whole card, so if his effect doesn't work well for you, the entire physical card, the 8 points, and the turn(s) he appears on can be a big waste (the wild and Mama notwithstanding).

We are going to house rule that once he's flipped, he doesn't have to be present to win the 2 points per Vale bought. We'll see how that goes.

Finally, compare him to most any other leader for cost-to-flip VS usefulness of effects and end-game leader points, and Silverwing looks WAY out of balance compared to the rest! Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played that leader but in my opinion, most leaders are meant to have a strategy built around them, and are rather weak if you don't play into that strategy.
Luckily enough, they're not forcing your hand either, so if you don't manage to use them properly you can just ignore them.

They're giving you a jumpstart but then you have to adapt to the commons and to your deck.

So yeah, maybe you just didn't manage to play this leader right? I can't tell you how to play it yet though but it's probably a powerhouse with the right cards, like ton of spirit symbols generation, and the ability to purchase more than 2 Vales per turn if that's ever a thing.

If it takes the VP from the box it's also good as it gives you more time, if it doesn't then it's a clock.
VP generating cards are fine but did you ever purchase the advancement that straight gives you 4 just for purchasing it? That thing's insane. You can strip a player of their last turn fairly easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.