Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

I am sort of a sucker for deduction games and Purrrlock Holmes: Furriarty's Trail did not disappoint me. This is a light, flexible game. I can play this with gamers, friends, or even my family. While the rules are clear and simple, the game play is fun and doesn't really constrain to an age nor a "gaming level".

At its heart, this is a simple deduction game where your opponents know more information than you do. You will be asking them questions through card play about who you are trying to catch. At the same time, everyone is working together to not let Furriarty escape but also being the one to catch him (he is worth VP and ends the game when caught).

I had a surprisingly good time playing this game. I love deduction games so that isn't a surprise, but the art and kitty theme made me think it might be kids. I was right and wrong. While it is a game you can play with kids, you can also play with adults. Granted the deduction is rather simple and a correct guess can take you far in this game and a few correct random guesses can take you even farther, there is a stiff penalty for being wrong when you guess.

The theme is all a little silly, but my daughter loves cats and loved the use of cats in this game. She really went crazy for the art work and the cats. Kudos for that! I think this game needed the lighter tone as the mechanics are rather simple and the deduction not too deep.

The package works for me. The box, the insert, the art, the components, the game play, it all just works. This isn't a game that will ever crack the top 100 on BGG, but it a solid addition to your collection if you want a multiplayer deduction game. I would recommend at least trying it out and if you have a family to play with, I think this becomes a no brainer.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are very good. The cardboard player markers are really good and sit in the stand quite nicely. I don't like putting this on and off each game as it will wear it down at some point, but they are really made nicely. The cards are a tad thin, but shuffle very well. The art work is just amazing in this game. Everything provided is top notch all the way down to the great custom insert. Fantastic job! This is how you present a game!

Rule Book:

The rule book is really good. It taught me the game within 5-7 minutes and I didn't have any questions when I was playing. The rules to play this are really simple to learn and to teach. Great job!

Flow of the Game:

There are a number of paw prints laid out in a line that have VP listed on them (some are face down and some face up). In the middle, you place Furriariy who you are trying to catch.

On a player's turn, they choose 2 of the 4 cards in their hand to use in the investigation. When their turn is over, they pass the remaining two cards to the next player.

Each player has a card that their opponents can see buy they cannot. This is who they are trying to catch and the time. When you play two cards to investigate the other players will tell you if you are on the trail or not. Being on the trail means it is the same person, the same hour, or one hour away (with 12 wrapping around to 1). If it is on the trail, it goes to your left pile and if it is not it goes on the pile on your right. This gives you clues as to who did it and the time.

After playing the two cards, you can guess either the person, time, or both. If you are correct, then you get the first paw print (and the VP) and draw a new investigation (just like set up). If you are wrong, you don't get to draw 2 cards at the end of your turn (and thus next round you just have the two cards a player gives to you).

After everyone gets a turn, Furriarty moves one space. If he moves to the front of the line and nobody has caught him, everyone loses.

At any point, once per game, you can yell paws and you get to make a guess. This cost you one VP at the end of the game wether you are right or wrong. This is a great way to try and catch Furriarty if he is next in line.

Should I buy this game?:

This is a really fun semi-cooperative deduction game that I think games and families will really enjoy. I love playing this with my 7 year old who loves cats. This isn't just a kids game also. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a light deduction game for multiple players. This won't blow your socks off, but it is a mildly amusing game that people will enjoy.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Scaggs
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1587 Purrrlock Holmes: Furriarty's Trail: Sherlock Holmes is not a cat and he is still as wickedly smart as always. Meow!
I was really pleasantly surprised with how much I liked this game. The deduction is a lot of fun and the art is pretty cute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cromusz wrote:
I was really pleasantly surprised with how much I liked this game. The deduction is a lot of fun and the art is pretty cute.

Agree. I didn't expect much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.