R. H.
msg tools
Hello,

I received my game through the Kickstarter campaign and so far my sons and I are enjoying it very much. Some questions:

Bunker: p.3 "It has its own gunners and counts for stacking."
Do bunkers need to be activated by a HQ in order to fire? It seems counter intuitive for a bunker to await orders to defend itself.

AT guns and for that matter ATR's: can they use their full Fire Strength, in non-assault fire, against soft targets just like infantry units?

I assume "Bridge" in the Terrain Effects Chart (p.12) includes Rail Bridges, correct?

When a defender retreats on round 2, does the attacker still get to fire? (I would say yes, as it is basically a fair turn around of the "pursuit fire" explanation of allowing the defender to fire and having the attacker retreat on turn 3.)

I'm not sure what this means:
"Long Range fire does not reduce the fire limits for adjacent units." I take it to mean that adjacent friendly units can Long Range Fire into the same targeted hex (subject to their own hex limitations).

That's pretty much it. The "shadow" reference for LOS as stated in 6.41 is awkward (THAT should have been in Diagram 4). Can anyone provide an picture to clarify?

I own several block games (Quebec, 1812, Napoleon ver.3) but this is my first foray into WWII and it's been fun so far. The game is easy enough to learn for my sons for whom this is their first board wargame. Kudos Columbia Games and I'm looking forward to more maps, scenarios and armies (Commonwealth, hint, hint!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Odovacer99 wrote:
Hello,

I received my game through the Kickstarter campaign and so far my sons and I are enjoying it very much. Some questions:

Bunker: p.3 "It has its own gunners and counts for stacking."
Do bunkers need to be activated by a HQ in order to fire? It seems counter intuitive for a bunker to await orders to defend itself.

Yes, they are battalion units. They are activated like any other unit except that they can only fire.

Quote:

AT guns and for that matter ATR's: can they use their full Fire Strength, in non-assault fire, against soft targets just like infantry units?

Yes. Consider them to be firing HE - High Explosive ordinance, designed for precisely that- killing infantry.

Quote:

I assume "Bridge" in the Terrain Effects Chart (p.12) includes Rail Bridges, correct?

I believe that is correct.

Quote:

When a defender retreats on round 2, does the attacker still get to fire? (I would say yes, as it is basically a fair turn around of the "pursuit fire" explanation of allowing the defender to fire and having the attacker retreat on turn 3.)

No, the Assault Combat is over if all defending units retreat.

Quote:

"Long Range fire does not reduce the fire limits for adjacent units." I take it to mean that adjacent friendly units can Long Range Fire into the same targeted hex (subject to their own hex limitations).

It means a unit in a hex firing long range does not count against hexside fire limits from that hexside.

And yes, units from different hexes could long range fire to the same target hex.

Quote:

That's pretty much it. The "shadow" reference for LOS as stated in 6.41 is awkward (THAT should have been in Diagram 4). Can anyone provide an picture to clarify?

Just check each bit of blocking terrain the line crosses and ask if the lower or higher unit is closer to that blocking terrain. If the higher the. LOS is not blocked.

Quote:

I own several block games (Quebec, 1812, Napoleon ver.3) but this is my first foray into WWII and it's been fun so far. The game is easy enough to learn for my sons for whom this is their first board wargame. Kudos Columbia Games and I'm looking forward to more maps, scenarios and armies (Commonwealth, hint, hint!)

Definitely some more detailed considerations at tactical scale that make it harder to create a good game. They’ve done well with this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. H.
msg tools
Thanks for the reply and the clarifications.

Malacandra wrote:

Quote:

It means a unit in a hex firing long range does not count against hexside fire limits from that hexside.

And yes, units from different hexes could long range fire to the same target hex.

Of course. <face palm> "Adjacent" also refers to the hex in front of the long fire unit, thus sharing the "fire lane".

Malacandra wrote:
Quote:

Just check each bit of blocking terrain the line crosses and ask if the lower or higher unit is closer to that blocking terrain. If the higher the. LOS is not blocked.

Ok simple enough. Also, your review https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1907251/storming-ashore-wwi... of the game covers this mechanic and your illustration was exactly what I was looking for. So, thanks again for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Odovacer99 wrote:
Thanks for the reply and the clarifications.

You’re welcome! I think the rules are generally pretty clear, but could be bit tighter to avoid some questions common to tactical games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.