Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

Giants' special ability is that they always pay 2 spades to transform a terrain to their home colour.

I understand that this means they can't gain spades from the 4 Fire & 4 Air cult bonuses unless they get up to 8.

Does the Giants' ability also mean that they can not use ACT5 or BON1?

So Giants' options to terraform are restricted to: their Stronghold ability, ACT 6, or buying 2 spades with workers (for example, if at dig3, spending 2w for 2 digs)

Correct?

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoff Jordaan
South Africa
Pretoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They can use ACT5 / BON1 since one is allowed to buy extra spades when executing these actions (but not with end of turn cult bonuses as you noted).

Further clarification on how spades work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, of course! ACT5/BON1 would work for Giants provided they buy +1 spade! I'm glad I asked for that clarification! I'm currently playing Giants for the first time...

Thanks Emerald Wolf!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Side note since you are still learning the faction:

Their limitations in getting a good use out of cult spades and BON1 should also tell you when it might be a good idea to pick this faction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...Giants' ability seems pretty restrictive, as compared to sandstorm of Nomads, for example. If Giants want to take advantage of ACT5/BON1, they pretty much have to upgrade digging, otherwise it's too expensive (for the +1 spade), right?

bluesheep wrote:
Side note since you are still learning the faction:

Their limitations in getting a good use out of cult spades and BON1 should also tell you when it might be a good idea to pick this faction

Thanks for the tip, bluesheep! So if the setup includes 4Water/Earth/Air>>spade, or BON1, it is usually best to avoid Giants? I hope I understood correctly.

I'm enjoying discovering this faction!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylusboy wrote:
...Giants' ability seems pretty restrictive, as compared to sandstorm of Nomads, for example.
At least they can dig across bridges and via shipping - something that the Nomads' sandstorm cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Olander
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
DocCool wrote:
Caylusboy wrote:
...Giants' ability seems pretty restrictive, as compared to sandstorm of Nomads, for example.
At least they can dig across bridges and via shipping - something that the Nomads' sandstorm cannot.

and their SH is 2 coins cheaper, plus generates 2 power more each income phase...
Giant's TP's are more standard pw generating, where 3+4 for Nomads produce extra coins...
plus the different scenarios that red and yellow as home hexes offers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for all these elucidations about the Giants! (I have duly annotated my TM cheat sheet...)

The TM community here on BGG is the best!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylusboy wrote:

Thanks for the tip, bluesheep! So if the setup includes 4Water/Earth/Air>>spade, or BON1, it is usually best to avoid Giants? I hope I understood correctly.

I am nowhere an expert on the faction or the game in general, I would advise you to search for posts of Xevoc or one of the current snellman Div1 players on the forums here. I remember Xevoc (edit: I forgot that he is called Petri on the forums here) hypothesizing about a certain Giants opening in a thread here once, just can't remember where that is buried right now.

Regarding your question, my (limited) insights so far are:
(spoiler tag if you want to keep discovering for yourself)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
1. Ideally you want to have a SH>>>5 round tile in round 1 or round 2. In particular if you are picking last and can make sure that you start with BON6 (2w+4vp when passing with SH built) this can already lead to a nice start

2. A cult spade is not directly an exclusion criterion for giants, it depends on which round it will be payed out. Round 1 cult spades can almost be ignored. Sure, there will be factions that get a use out of it, but that will probably only be one or two players out of 4, so you can get away with not participating there. Later cult spades are much more critical as you already have to decide while picking whether you might want to go for that spade which means getting at least 8 cult steps. This requires a lot of foresight and it has to line up with the FAVs you might want to pick up, as a general rule of thumb I would say that a cult spade in round 4 or 5 should be doable, whereas round 2 and 3 probably won't work out.

3. The +1 shipping tile is your friend. A giant with shipping and an SH built, is an incredible threat to everyone in the vicinity. Your opponents will feel that pressure and probably have to deviate from optimal play in order to secure key hexes earlier.

4. This also ties into some part of the strategy with giants. Try to assassinate your opponents networks by taking away their key hexes, at best if you can use that hex later on.

5. BON1 in play is a pity, but can also help you a bit since ACT6 will be less contested

6. I would advise against upgrading digging. Rather get your power engine going and try to get a lot from ACT6. You want to be near people anyway in order to be a threat, so you should get some good leeching opportunities. This means that you should look out for high power factions (swarmlings, engies) that might take away ACT6 from you. I have to admit that I still have to experiment more on whether upgrading pays off or not, all I know so far is that 3 towns are easily achievable without ever needing a digging upgrade. Your priests are probably better spent in trying to secure shovels from a late cult payout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
This is a fairly recent post from Xevoc about what he's been looking for in a Giants setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, the guy above me is one of those Div1 players (he won last season) I was talking about whistle

lots of useful stuff also to be found here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@bluesheep & Steve496: many thanks for the links! There is truly an abundance of nuggets of wisdom among the strategy posts by high-ranking players for those interested to learn more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C TK
Canada
flag msg tools
This is the post (and more broadly, thread) that was referenced. Petri makes several posts on the topic in this thread.

I found the insights quite helpful, I made that thread after my first game with Giants was my all-time lowest score (93), the first game I ever scored less than 100, and one of only three games I ever scored under 100 out of at least 220 (counting F2F). By comparison, the next time I played them I did much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.