Nate
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll likely never be able to play a game of 6 hours, though I'm uncertain if the listed 360 min is the length of the two Peloponnesian War scenarios combined or played separately (ex/including the campaign game?). Could someone clarify?

Of the shorter, non-learning scenarios, "30 minutes (mini Theater scenario), 45 minutes (6 years of the war), 90 minutes (a decade of war)" - would someone discuss if they provide a full, satisfying experience on their own and any other relevant, comparative info with the longer scenarios. Would you purchase if the game offered only those scenarios, why or why not?

I love the period and wargaming but can't get longer games played, selling Here I Stand and Successors after years sitting on a shelf. I'm weighing purchasing Pericles despite knowing I'll probably never have the opportunity to play the longer scenarios if the shorter ones are meaningful and fun without feeling truncated in some critical way.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryszard Tokarczuk
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not know but it may be worthwhile to mention that game comes with setup diagrams for each one of ten turns of the game (one turn roughly equals six years of Ancient Greek history ). There are scenarios that you mention - my point however is that one can simply choose a turn/ period and play one turn. Or more.

Which is to say that player can have more than the numbered scenarios straight from the box.

All my human players usually wanted to play at least 5 turn campaign games. Shorter scenarios were used for educational purposes.

One, two turn scenarios are exciting because one has to try to gain the lead. In my limited experience, it is actually "easier to win" playing a long game. Players can develop their position and go for a string of small victories.

To answer your question directly, I am a fan of the period. I bought the game not knowing with a certainty that I will have always three other human players available. I actually enjoy playing Pericles with bots and usually I choose campaigns (5 turns) or different starting point (chosen turn from the setup chart) for solo runs. I do not regret buying Pericles, though it may be because I am an indeed Ancient Greek nutcase.

Mini-theater scenarios do not excite me but I still find a good challenge in 2 turn scenarios, with bots or people (happened once).

As for the playing time, it really depends. Once the rules are understood and do not create any problems, I think that solo player can make/execute a turn in less than an hour. On average, my games took an hour per turn - also those with other people (though discussions, trades, looking up the rules and trash talk can increase the gaming time considerably). Your experience may vary. Mind that scenarios can have automatic victory conditions, so not always it is required to play through all turns listed.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crestfallen wrote:
I'll likely never be able to play a game of 6 hours, though I'm uncertain if the listed 360 min is the length of the two Peloponnesian War scenarios combined or played separately (ex/including the campaign game?). Could someone clarify?

Of the shorter, non-learning scenarios, "30 minutes (mini Theater scenario), 45 minutes (6 years of the war), 90 minutes (a decade of war)" - would someone discuss if they provide a full, satisfying experience on their own and any other relevant, comparative info with the longer scenarios. Would you purchase if the game offered only those scenarios, why or why not?

I love the period and wargaming but can't get longer games played, selling Here I Stand and Successors after years sitting on a shelf. I'm weighing purchasing Pericles despite knowing I'll probably never have the opportunity to play the longer scenarios if the shorter ones are meaningful and fun without feeling truncated in some critical way.

Thanks.

I believe the 2 turn scenario is a nice middle ground. If you’re fan of the period at all you won’t be disappointed. Naturally for the full experience you want three like minded individuals to share it with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Save your money. Pick a shorter game that covers the time period. I have Pericles and it is very hard to get to the table as is and my group generally likes longer games. I don't think the short scenarios are the best for this game, you are really just scratching the surface and leave you wanting more.

Maybe if you like solo games and have a place you can leave the longer campaigns set up for an extended period of time you could get your money's worth out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Michael
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Crestfallen wrote:

Thanks.

I believe it is worth it as long as you can manage to play at least a two turn scenario. The Archidamian War is really the standard go to scenario that should take about 90 to 120 min.
I also want to mention that in this game it is really easy to keep records of the situation on the board inbetween turns. So you can still play the campaign games if you are ok with doing it in multiple sessions.

As for the comments made here and elsewhere about the game being difficult to get into I have to say I couldn‘t disagree more. The game comes with an example of play as well as training scenarios that make this game really easy to learn.
Also the bot (Phormio) can teach you how to play well and how to execute certain strategies.
The only difficulty really is that this game is very different from the typical war games that one might be used to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've been convinced (let's be honest, I wanted to be). I bought the game and unwrapped it today. Let's see how learning it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crestfallen wrote:
Well, I've been convinced (let's be honest, I wanted to be). I bought the game and unwrapped it today. Let's see how learning it goes.

I hope you enjoy the game. Thanks for the support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.