Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to do game reviews in American Sign Language, and am ready to post my first video this week. Would it be possible to add American Sign Language to the drop-down list for video review language options?

Naturally, anyone who needs to approve the video (i.e., a moderator) most likely won't be able to understand the content of the video without ASL fluency, but I figure this is worth a shot anyway.

Thanks,

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I suspect that the audience you are addressing with ASL reviews is (relatively) small, this is an awesome idea. Hopefully moderation won't be a limiting issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oneiric wrote:
Although I suspect that the audience you are addressing with ASL reviews is (relatively) small, this is an awesome idea. Hopefully moderation won't be a limiting issue.

A small audience, yes, but infinitely greater than for some of the other languages on offer, which have zero video reviews.

Many of my deaf friends prefer ASL videos to written reviews, and having videos in ASL would go a long way toward making this site more deaf-friendly (we have our own Facebook page for deaf board gamers, but getting more traffic to BGG so people can check out other games should help expand our small but growing community of deaf board game geeks).

I'm not even that great with my use of ASL, but it all has to start somewhere . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan: Thanks for bringing my attention to this. I think it's a wonderful idea, and I hope you'll share the video with me so I can share it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Dan: Thanks for bringing my attention to this. I think it's a wonderful idea, and I hope you'll share the video with me so I can share it.

Thank you for your support, Jamey! One ASL review (spoiler-free, of course) of Charterstone is in the works!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoilers are okay as long as you warn people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition, Mercato
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice idea Dan,
I’m sure it will be easy to BGG to add the American Sign Language (ASL) as a language option for videos. Did you write to them?
Eager to see your first reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:
Very nice idea Dan,
I’m sure it will be easy to BGG to add the American Sign Language (ASL) as a language option for videos. Did you write to them?
Eager to see your first reviews.

Thanks for your support, Vital. I am eager to do an ASL review of Lisboa, showing off the fabulous art and smooth gameplay.

The BGG admins have been contacted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious as I would have thought captions/subtitles would be more readily accessible than sign language. Is it faster or more convenient to read sign language?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subtitles are inconsistent, sometimes nonexistent, and auto-generated subtitles tend to be wildly inaccurate. Many deaf users enjoy seeing another ASL user on camera, signing and interacting with other deaf players. For many deaf people (I don’t claim this applies to everyone), ASL is a more natural language than spoken English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's perhaps worth noting that ASL is not simply a visual encoding of English, like subtitles are.

ASL (like other sign languages) is a separate independent complete language in its own right.

(E.g. in principle someone could know ASL but not know English, though I expect that in practice virtually all ASL users do know English!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL has now been added to the list of language options in the video section.

Thank you, Aldie!

Now it's time to get a haircut and make some ASL video reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Valladolid
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Dan. This is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Watson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I want to thank Dan for this important thread. I am one of few Deaf gamers in this forum and I am more than elated for this suggestion because it will be fully accessible to the Deaf/ASL gaming community! Thank BGG for adding that feature!!! I am looking forward to more of ASL videos! I might end up in one of those if asked. I do enjoy other videos with captions but the auto caption feature by youtube is inaccurate and not fully accessible so the ASL and accurate subtitled videos will be fully embraced by us! Great job, Dan and keep it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor McGoey
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
insideupgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan is WAY too modest! He is awesome at everything!

And he doesn't mention is here, but he is an editor by trade and has done a fantastic job editing my games' rules!

His ASL skills are also great! I got to see them first hand at Gen Con last year while he was volunteering at my booth!

AND one of my highlights of Gen Con was watching Dan teach a table of ASL players a game of Summit, and seeing them play!

Congrats on this Dan!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.