BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need recommendations as i'm starting to build my collection! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ville pääkkö
Finland
flag msg tools
Hi,

I have recently started to collect more games as i found active group to play with. I have played board games for 10+ years though.

Atm i have:
Terraforming Mars - This is amazingly good game!
Eclipse - This is amazing too if you have the time and more than 3 players!
Scythe - Really dissappointed with this game. Not sure why but it just doesnt feel fun
Princes of Florence - Really good and underappreciated game!
Munchkin - Was fun 10 years ago but dont really play this anymore
Dead of Winter - Really good if you like co-op games
Trough the ages - A new story of civilization - Just got this and gonna play it soon
Race for the Galaxy - Really good deep strategy game for fast sessions.
Power Grid - This my only game that i play with "normal" people like my girlfriend or casual boardgamer friends. And its really good with more serious players too!
Game of Thrones - The best game to end relationships / friendships with!

Im really excited about getting more games and trying different types. So after you have read about these games i already own, what would you recommend? I would prefer the game to be from the top 100 list here!

Here are the specs im looking for the games you possibly could recommend to me:

- Player count: Usually prefer games with at least 4 possible players, but i'd like to buy one game especially for 2 players games ( have been thinking about 7-wonders duels or star wars: rebellion )

- Genre: Everything goes if the game is fun! Maybe it would be bonus if the game would bring something new to the table when compared to other games i already own

- Duration: I'd like to find couple faster games since most of my games are longer ones ( i like really complex games as simple ones usually gets me bored really fast). So lets say i want to play a game of terraforming mars, then maybe end the end the session or start the session with a quicker fun game. Still looking for recommendations for the longer games too! Especially really complex strategy games!

- Complexity: As i said above i prefer really complex games. The game itself doesnt have to be confusing or with 1000x different markers and cards but i like to have really many possibilities for the strategies so the game stays fresh! Then again i also would like to buy one or two games that i could play with non gamers like my family or girlfriend and her friends!

- Theme: Anything goes!

I have read a lot of good things about Gloomhaven and i'm definately gonna buy that one when it becomes available at Finland ( none of the stores have it atm).

This is my first post here so i hope i was able to express myself clearly enough for you guys to be able to recommend your favorite games to me which you believe i would like . Thanks for your answers in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

Enjoy Through the Ages. That game and Agricola are my personal favorites. Agricola can be very tense and the cards give the game a lot of replayability.

Even though I think Suburbia is the "better" game, its brother Castles of Mad King Ludwig has always been a massive hit with my casual family/friends crowd. We get this on the table a lot.

Gloomhaven is very good. I keep thinking about the next meeting with friends to play this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Svien
Japan
flag msg tools
Hi Ville,

My three immediate recommendations would be The Castles of Burgundy, The Voyages of Marco Polo, and Agricola.

Castles of Burgundy, while not exclusive to 2, fills your niche of a 2-player game since it is so good with 2. It is also a very popular game with female players, so your girlfriend may enjoy it!

As for Marco Polo, it is very, very fun to play! My wife and I got it for Christmas and she is already requesting it when we play.

Finally, Agricola is a classic, definitely the heaviest of the three, and full of amazingly crunchy decisions. I'd recommend the Z-Man edition rather than the revised one as it has 3x the cards and therefore heavier than the remake since it seems that's what you're aiming for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drace Zhan
msg tools

I would agree with Castles and Agricola. I think Castles will also give a lot more staying power than Marco Polo. I loved Marco Polo the first few times I played it but it's lost it's novelty tbh. Still a good game but I find Castles a more robust dice placement game.

I'd also heavily recommend Last Will as it's been a hit anytime I brought it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ville pääkkö
Finland
flag msg tools
Hi again and thank you very much for your answers!

I hadn’t read about agricola before this and it seems really like my type of a game. I noticed there are a lot of discussion about it being compared to caverna but i guess i would like agricola more since i look for replayability and i want the game to feel hard or i will get bored quickly! I just wonder which version of agricola i should go for and which expansions to get for it.

Both agricola and castles of burgundy got me really excited when i read more about them, so i will prolly put these two on the top of my list

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
get off my avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
there are rumours that this year they release a agricola big box with
all expansions ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingemar Heinas
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archipelago is my favorite game. it's like a 4x game but set in the caribbeans. I like to call it Settlers on expert mode.
Check out the review from shut up and sit down
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vega777
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem to be missing the best party/ filler game out there - Codenames?

I can recommend a complex card game for two (non-collectible), namely Codex - I've only played the Core set until now, but even with those two factions alone the experience is outstanding. There's also a Deluxe set which includes all the factions (and all the binders, which are really cool), but it's not distributed in Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders: Duel is an excellent choice for a 2-player game.

For more players, there have been several good suggestions already.

I will add Concordia. It is great and not too long.

I also have to mention my favorite game of them all - Tigris & Euphrates! It is a masterwork.

These are not top 100, but take a look at Lorenzo il Magnifico and In the Year of the Dragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Guiomar
msg tools
Throw them enough and you will understand.
badge
"Oh it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh."
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne! It's simply a great game, a classic that holds so well. A game with some degree of luck involved, some strategy, but overall, a great game to socialize and relax. One of my favourites, even after playing complex hard-core games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Married Board-Gamers
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 Carcassonne

Also Splendor, Century: Spice Road, Legends of Andor, Fungi, Biblios

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Royal
msg tools
mbmbmb
For your non gamer friends, Canasta or Canasta Caliente. All you need is two decks of cards though special sets are sold.

I second Agricola for gamers. I was also able to teach a very casual gamer this one using the family rules.

You have made some good purchases with your earlier games, but they all didn't work for you. Maybe a general suggestion would be to take purchases one game at a time. Make sure you and the people you play with like that one before committing to the next. Each game that works well will give you great information about what to choose next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keppada wrote:
I would prefer the game to be from the top 100 list here!

My advice would be to worry less about this. Good and popular games can easily be found through 500, and even 1000. Remember that it may only be few decimal positions in the average "Rating" that keeps them lower in the "Ranking".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokrusarn wrote:
Archipelago is my favorite game. it's like a 4x game but set in the caribbeans. I like to call it Settlers on expert mode.
Check out the review from shut up and sit down

This game doesn't get enough love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go as slowly as you can and play everything you buy many times over before buying more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
If you dig longish and complex and fun, I highly recommend Dungeon Lords. And it just gets better with the expansion. If you can get your hands on the Happy Anniversary edition, it has upgraded bits and combined storage.

It plays 2-4.

My favorite game is Caylus. Classic Euro. Strategic - there is literally zero luck after the first move. Comes off as very straight-laced at first, but as you learn the game it becomes more and more savage. Plays 2-5.

For shorter, lighter games that still have some tension and decent strategy, I like Splendor and Lords of Waterdeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fitzpatrick
United States
Clovis
California
flag msg tools
NERD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
I like chips.
mbmbmbmbmb
100% Caverna! It’s just absolutely fantastic. When deciding whether to buy Caverna or Agricola, I decided on Caverna because I heard that Agricola can be really frustrating. I personally don’t like frustratingly difficult games, but I know that some people really do. I do know that Caverna is extremely fun and accessible, and I love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
Exton
Pa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG. It's my entirely biased opinion of course, but my instinct is, based on your reaction to both Scythe and Race for the Galaxy, that you're going to want to choose Caverna over Agricola. It's more open-ended and less constraining on how you develop your personal strategy.

Or better yet, pick up Le Havre, which has some elements of Agricola, but integrates aspects of Caylus as well. To me it's much more approachable and easier to teach to non-gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad M
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For your end of the night game, go with Biblios, it is quick yet there are meaningful decisions to be made each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a nice two player only that is simple but strategic, I suggest Battle Line.

On the heavy side, I have a feeling you might enjoy Mage Knight Board Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
Stevenson Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like complex games, too. Sadly, many of them do not have a short play time. Here's a couple of my favorites for you to look out for and try.

Titan - This is a fascinating design. If you get a chance to try it, I haven't seen anything quite like it. It is out of print for a very long time and, like chess and go, games can vary greatly in length.

Three Kingdoms Redux - A perfect 10 for me, but I love this historical period. Gameplay is at least a 9 for me, despite the theme. It plays only three players (odd, but thematic) and about three hours. It is a bidding worker placement with an asymmetric start and a rotating alliance system to balance the game. The time period the events took place was around 200 AD and a classic piece of literature was in written in China in the 1300's.

Tigris and Euphrates - Such an elegant design and what a brain burner in the best possible way. This should be in the Top Ten and not stupid Pandemic Legacy (no offense if you like it, but it shouldn't be top ten).

Sword & Sorcery - A very good, but very complex dungeon crawl. More content should come out for this, which will elevate it to one of the best dungeon crawls of all time once it achieves the variability of Descent 2E and other broadly expanded systems like that.

Descent: Journeys In The Dark with Descent: Road To Legend - Another great dungeon crawl and the out of print first edition of this title. The addition of the campaign made an already awesome game ridiculously good. It takes days and days and days to play, but worth it. The sculpts in the 2e game are much better, but the gameplay has changed quite a bit, slimming it down, but also really changing the feel of the quests. Both are great, I like 1E better.

Sekigahara: The Unification Of Japan This 2-player title from GMT is very elegant and has almost no text in the actual game. It's a cross between poker and a wargame that is both thematically appropriate and very tense and exciting.

*GMT is a great company. The few games I have from them are consistently well designed, so much so that I wish they would branch out more from historical stuff, which they do very, very well. If there is a period of history you enjoy, odds are there is a great GMT title or two about it that are worth playing.

Shogun - An area control Euro with lots of bells and whistles if you get the Queen Big Box edition. A very thinky game, where you plan 8 actions ahead of time and hope they all pan out each round. It has a unique combat system with it's cube tower. I hear the map for Wallenstein (its predecessor) is a better map, but I prefer the Japanese theme.

Also, obligatory mention of Twilight Struggle and War Of The Ring for epic 2-player action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ville pääkkö
Finland
flag msg tools
TVis wrote:
Keppada wrote:
I would prefer the game to be from the top 100 list here!

My advice would be to worry less about this. Good and popular games can easily be found through 500, and even 1000. Remember that it may only be few decimal positions in the average "Rating" that keeps them lower in the "Ranking".

I was blind, but now i have seen the light! There seems to be ridiculous amount of awesome games out of top 100 too .

And thanks everyone for recommendations again! So many of these games seem very awesome. I didn't realize there are games specialized for 3 players too. three kingdoms redux seems to be good game for this but are there other 3 players games you guys would recommend? we happen to play pretty often with 3 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- - - - - -
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species
Imperial
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
Galaxy Trucker
Vikings
+1 for:
Concordia
In the Year of the Dragon
Biblios

And don't believe the hype. Newer games in top 100 are not necessarily that good, it's just marketing. In a couple of years they will fade away as other new games will take their place. Older games in the top withstood the test of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ville pääkkö
Finland
flag msg tools
Thanks again! I'm prolly gonna start to rebuild my collection by trading scythe + 1 expansion vs Tzolk'in + 1 expansion, Caylus and Tigris & euphrates. Also tested through the ages and really liked it but the first playthrough took us 7 hours. I hope next one is shorter .

I'm also prolly gonna order Concordia + Biblios/castels of burgundy as bundle or then archipelago with the solo expansion. I did forget to mention that i like to occasionally play solo boardgames too and especially terraforming mars.

Agricola / caverna would go on top of my buying list but my friend just bought caverna so i will get to test that one soon! Also will get Gloomhaven right away when it becomes available in eu.

Just pretty torn with archipelago and concordia + cheaper game option atm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- - - - - -
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keppada wrote:
I'm prolly gonna start to rebuild my collection by trading scythe + 1 expansion vs Tzolk'in + 1 expansion, Caylus and Tigris & euphrates. Also tested through the ages and really liked it but the first playthrough took us 7 hours. I hope next one is shorter

Wow, that is a good trade - all very good games. A thought about Tzolkin: don't rush to add the expansion if you are not familiar with the game. Give it a few dozen plays with just the base game, so you can master the basic strategies first.

You'll play Through the Ages in half that time after you learn the cards.

Keppada wrote:
Just pretty torn with archipelago and concordia + cheaper game option atm.

You have a lot of deep and long games on the list already. If you don't want Archipelago that bad, I would leave it for another time, because it's also a long game. Concordia on the other hand is a little lighter and faster and might complement well what you already want to get. Anyway, there are a lot of games in one go, I hope you have the time to enjoy them all, because most of them require more than a couple of plays to really shine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.