Subject: Initial Scenario Thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Notsteve Notlawton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Having played every scenario at least once, with "The Pitt" and "Far Harbor" getting played twice, here are my initial thoughts and personal ranking of each scenario:

1. The Commonwealth- Straightforward, easy to understand, and the objectives match the game they're trying to represent almost perfectly. It seems like the most thought went into crafting this scenario, which makes sense as it's the "introductory" map which all new players are encouraged to run through at least once. It didn't seem like either side was significantly advantaged over the other as every objective seemed relatively balanced after the starting objective, which is admittedly WAY easier for The Institute (you're almost guaranteed to kill a human before you make it to diamond city as half the green tiles spawn human enemies and most humans are either aggressive or ranged meaning you may kill them in self defense even if you don't want to). Left a very good impression and made me want to try all the other scenarios, which is a shame since none of them were as well designed as this one.

2. The Pitt- Played twice, once solo and once with another player. Both times it felt like the slavers were the easier of the two factions to satisfy and fighting slaves is much easier as they never get a boost to their health and are weak to the body which is the easiest target to hit. Thematically this makes sense but it does hurt the actual game part of this game. My solo game I ended up siding with the slavers and winning handsomely, while in the two player game I tried helping the slaves and ended up making both me and my partner lose as the slaves couldn't build up any lasting lead. The plot deviates from the game substantially but keeps the spirit of the conflict even if they have to be vague about what the slavers are trying to achieve (apart from slave driving, naturally) due to card size limitations.

3. The Capitol Wasteland- I remember enjoying this one. What I don't remember is anything I did in it. The objectives were fun and felt the most like actual things you would do in an actual Fallout game, though not things you would do in Fallout 3 as this scenario bears very little resemblance to the actual plot of that game (Liam Neeson doesn't even reprise his role). The enemies were fun to deal with and posed a real threat even in the early to mid game. However while the quests were fun while they lasted none of them were memorable or really stuck out as the limited flavor text combined with complete divergence from the source material left it feeling very shallow. I played this scenario with another player and while I may give it a shot or two solo I'm not sure how often I'd choose it over The Pitt or The Commonwealth.

4. Far Harbor- Played twice. Terrible experience both times. The rules are written incredibly poorly making it very hard to tell what you're even supposed to be doing most the time. The game was kind enough to come with an entirely separate reference guide to clarify the core rulebook yet not one single solitary page was devoted to the "Far Harbor" scenario which basically breaks every other rule in the game.
Even when I eventually sorted out what the hell I was even supposed to be doing (I think?!) the game was a miserable slog. Did you know that over half the enemy activation markers are either stars or shields? You don't really notice it in any other scenario since that equates to either side moving its two or three units once every fourth turn. However when both of those symbols are used to track a single impediment it becomes very clear very quickly just how many stars and shield activations there are. I could never keep up with them, fog always arrived at town right before I do or would pop right after I got there unless I happened to pass the skill check on my first try after waiting in the adjacent tile and making a maddash for town and praying there were no enemies on the space or in my path with the aggressive trait. Both sides feel unrewarding as both sides lead to you getting irradiated to oblivion. You have to wade into town to place fog condensers which will almost certainly have fog, and you have to destroy fog condensers to aid the fog which leads to more radiation. If you're not playing a ghoul you will be utterly destroyed by the amount of radiation you have to tank just to complete basic objectives, and you can't afford to die since having to trek back THROUGH those irradiated tiles all over again will leave you weaker and weaker each time. Fun fact, did you know that there are only 2 Radaway in the entire shop deck and none in the loot deck? I LEARNED THAT AFTER PLAYING FAR HARBOR. And if you ARE playing a ghoul the scenario becomes so mind numbingly easy that you might as well not play it. The scenario doesn't even work on a thematic level since all the random encounters involve meeting PEOPLE yet all the quest cards talk about how desolate and devoid of life the island is outside the insular town of Far Harbor is. I hated this scenario so much, if and when this game gets an expansion I sincerely hope Fantasy Flight Games reworks this one. Oh yeah and I had six quest cards on the table at one time, which is just an absurd level of clutter and objectives to keep track of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
Far harbor is really only playable for the Ghoul and the only other player lucky enough to buy the hazmat suit, of which there is only one. That scenario is really best enjoyed solo imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I played Far Habor solo. It still wasn't enjoyable.
Did Fallout have a crappily broken half baked DLC at some stage that FH is trying to honor? That's the only excuse I can think of for that stinker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
Far Harbor is my favorite of the DLC for the fallout 4 video game. The experience translated rather poorly and was a disappointment in analog form. On second thought, enjoyedwas a poor choice of words. "Best endured solo", is closer to reality I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
xBino wrote:
Far Harbor is my favorite of the DLC for the fallout 4 video game...

Interesting... All this time I've kept thinking that Far Harbor was an expansion to Fallout 3. However, after a bit of Googling, I believe I was mistaking Far Harbor for the "Point Lookout" expansion to Fallout 3.

What I find more unusual however is that I don't remember ANY of this fog business, which leads me to believe that... ...I never actually played the Far Harbor expansion...

Could I REALLY have Fallout content I've never explored? I KNOW I bought all the expansions... (I did, right?)

And I just friggin' re-started Skyrim, too...

#TooManyVideoGamesTooLittleTime

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
Solo player that don't play solo
badge
Solo player that don't play solo
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts, I was actually looking for something like this. I will play The Commonwealth solo soon and will try the other scenarios after that. I want to introduce this game to friends soon so I want to be ready!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.