Subject: Superhero and Comic-Themed Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Jay
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Hey all, wanted to get some opinions on favorite superhero and/or comic book type games. Doesn’t have to be based on published comics from like Marvel or DC, but those are definitely welcome as well. Largely looking for games that really have a superhero adventure feel— much like Guardians’ Chronicles or Sentinels of the Multiverse.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not many are very good. Dice Masters is, Sentinals is. Marvel Heroes is OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Sentinels of the Multiverse.

It's a card game that is quick to get on the table, plays with little effort, and creates plenty of super-heroic moments. It did take a few plays to get the hang of keeping track of all the on-going effects from heroes, the villain, and the environment, but it really is not hard to learn or play. It can offer a satisfying challenge, depending on the mix of heroes, environment, and villain. The game benefits from expansions, which are thankfully not overly expensive.

I really like the game. (I also like its box! The box accommodates expansions very well.)

Edit: I am not sure if you already have Sentinels; the query doesn't seem quite crystal clear on that.

Edit: more info. I wrote the post while trying to go back to sleep, and it appeared anemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Broeren
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like cards and deck-building I recommend Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game.

If rolling dice is your thing: Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Heroes Wanted is one of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cretin Warlord
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
visit my blog The Necrollnomicon: Kitchener and Waterloo Board Game Events
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a big comic book guy myself (Marvel) the lack of super hero board games is disappointing. Sentinels of the Multiverse is by far the best super hero game that actually makes you feel like a super hero.
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, Marvel Heroes, Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men, Vs. System and Overpower have a lot of super hero content and artwork but they are competitive and and you are controlling teams (which takes away from the super hero adventure feel).
Heroscape is fun so it is too bad Heroscape Marvel: The Conflict Begins didn't have follow up sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cretin Warlord
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
visit my blog The Necrollnomicon: Kitchener and Waterloo Board Game Events
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add there is a new Batman board game being released on Kickstarter this year (2018) by Monolith (who created Conan) that I will have my eye on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 Heroes Wanted
Sentinel Tactics

In both games you have a board you move your pieces around on fighting the evil villains. Both have very thematic and creative mechanics beyond what the card games offer.

+1 Sentinels of the Multiverse for card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Wits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beth Robinson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I really like both the DC and Marvel deckbuilders, if you are looking for more of an adventure feel then I have also enjoyed Heroes Wanted and Sentinels and feel the first is better if you only have a few players. You might also like the deckbuilder Emergents: Genesis – The Deckbuilding Game, which is new superheroes training against each other. We also picked a used Heroes of Metro City but have not tried it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
ad2017 wrote:
+1 for Sentinels of the Multiverse.

It's a card game that is quick to get on the table, plays with little effort, and creates plenty of super-heroic moments. It did take a few plays to get the hang of keeping track of all the on-going effects from heroes, the villain, and the environment, but it really is not hard to learn or play. It can offer a satisfying challenge, depending on the mix of heroes, environment, and villain. The game benefits from expansions, which are thankfully not overly expensive.

I really like the game. (I also like its box! The box accommodates expansions very well.)

Edit: I am not sure if you already have Sentinels; the query doesn't seem quite crystal clear on that.

Edit: more info. I wrote the post while trying to go back to sleep, and it appeared anemic.

There's a really good solution to that, actually. I know phones are taboo at most game nights, but there's a great official sidekick app that you can use to track all of that. I had the same problem with my group, and that was even with the newer version that came with all the additional tracker pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Sentinels
2. Legendary
3. Dice Masters if you don't mind the collectible aspect.

I can't care enough beyond that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BethRobinson wrote:
We also picked a used Heroes of Metro City but have not tried it yet.
It's alright, but has multiple problems:
The mid-tier bad guys (called villains among henchmen, villains, and mastermind), don't change much, because usually by the time someone is able to take out a villain, they're only a couple of turns away from taking out the mastermind. The effects of the villain that sits there for most of the game, and how much it combos with the effects of the mastermind seem to be fairly dominant relative to how the heroes do.
They focused on theme to the detriment of game play a little. You're supposed to name your super hero for the game, and there cards that give a bonus based on hero name ("if your hero name includes a color/metal/animal ..."), but two of those cards are functionally the same except for the requirement, and all those requirements mean is that everyone just names their hero "The Titanium Teal Trouser Snake" or whatever every game.
They were really slow to release their game, and did not do a good job of capitalizing on initial enjoyment with the follow up expansion (which took another kickstarter - despite being an add-on for the initial game, and those that pledged for the expansion initially had to pledge extra for 2 mini-expansions made available only through the second kickstarter - and even longer to get released). Expansions are especially important for deck-builders, and this game kind of signed it's own death certificate.

It is still definitely worth a few plays, as it has interesting ideas about building up powers/sources and deck building, including the concept that the piles of cards that you are buying to make your deck better is the visual representation of the city you are trying to protect, so you can only get better by making your city weaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farrell Seymore
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse is my vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played but I liked the mechanics ideas in Guardians' Chronicles.
Otherwise tactical games like good ol' Heroclix (which I've never played but borrowed ideas from ... and use the minis of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Ingram
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little late to the party, but Sentinels of the Multiverse is definitely the best superhero games I've played. Ryan is right about the Sentinels Sidekick app being a great help in tracking things. I usually use it on my tablet in the middle of the table. I know you can hook up multiple iOS devices together to use it. (I haven't tried this cross platform.)

BethRobinson wrote:
You might also like the deckbuilder Emergents: Genesis – The Deckbuilding Game, which is new superheroes training against each other.

I also like this as well. It's more akin to Ascension and Star Realms than Dominion in its deckbuilding.

Also for comic book based games, releasing later this year, the reimplementation of Lost Expedition called Judge Dredd: The Cursed Earth looks interesting. Such a cool IP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This isn't a particularly helpful post, but I am a bit surprised how there don't seem to be much of any superhero themed adventure-style games, like a superhero retheme of Talisman, Eldritch Horror, or Police precinct. There are miniature skirmish games and card games all over the place, but nothing quite like those. Seems like the market is ripe for a campaign-based superhero game... maybe we'll see one pop up soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Sentinels of the Multiverse. It's a favorite in our house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game with Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Dark City is by far my favorite.

I sold Sentinels of the Multiverse as there are too many modifiers and effects to keep track of, it wasn't fun. The app version, however, is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.