Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Marvel Legendary Hero Thread No. 23 - Skadi rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stepping into the shoes of Midnight Rider, who started this series, it's the ever-popular Marvel Legendary Hero Profiles. Subscribe to the meta thread to get updates on a new thread.

This week, we're looking at Skadi, an Ally from the Villains small-box expansion Fear Itself.

------

Skadi
HYDRA

Dark Prophecy (5 copies)
Tech
2 Recruit
Tech: gain a Madame HYDRA.
Cost: 3
The daughter of the Red Skull will fulfill his final dream.

Ancient Oath of HYDRA (5 copies)
Tech
1 Attack
You may discard a HYDRA Ally. If you do, draw two cards.
Cost: 5
Skadi hails HYDRA. Immortal HYDRA. Whenever she cuts off a limb, two more take its place.

Hammer of the Serpent (3 copies)
Strength
Thrown Artifact
When you throw this, you get +2 Attack for each card you discarded this turn.
Cost: 5

War Banner of HYDRA (1 copy)
Covert
Thrown Artifact
When you throw this, you get +1 Attack for each other HYDRA card you played this turn.
Cost: 7

HYDRA cards are a rare breed. Exactly two Hero/Ally decks have a HYDRA team affiliation, and with the effective discontinuation of the Villains line it is quite unlikely that we'll ever get any other proper HYDRA Allies from Upper Deck. I mean, we do have Bob, who is a HYDRA agent and hangs around Deadpool, but I really can't think of any good cause to include Red Skull or his minions in any future expansion. Has he ever been a protagonist?

It's almost a shame, too, because these commons form the core of a quite fine HYDRA tribal deck. Looking at Madame Hydra as an example, it's already been established that HYDRA's whole deal is discarding cards or, if you choose, discarding a card to get another in your hand. It is a bit of a shame that to capitalize on those concepts the deck limits itself into some standard design tropes. (IMO, "plus attack per" should be used sparingly, so at least here it doesn't apply to a narrow keyword and it's only on four cards.)

Though I would like an official Red Skull deck, I don't know if there's any design space within the Hydra concept (as currently established by the game) for a proper one. Everything you'd want from him is here, whether an implementation of a HYDRA recruiter, a bonus to attack for each HYDRA you've played, or an implementation of "Cut off one head, two more shall take its place." The only thing here that wouldn't work thematically with Red Skull is Skadi's Thrown Artifact Uncommon, an uncommonly powerful card, potentially more powerful than Electro's card if you have enough Dodge in your deck.

One last thing: Though this is a Villains deck, if you mix it with the Heroic set this discarding aspect of HYDRA works even better thematically. Yes, you discard a card when a Bystander is carried away, but the Hammer gets even more powerful this turn as a result. Maybe it's a stretch, but IMO it gets across a kind of impulsive vengeance appropriate to these expy Nazis.

------

Dark Prophecy is a nice and simple design. If you don't have to pay for a Madame Hydra, and if you want HYDRA cards or to discard cards anyway, sure, take it anyway. It's Tech, and all things being equal I'll usually value a Tech-class card over non-Tech cards.

Ancient Oath of HYDRA is not the most powerful design in this set but it is my favorite, largely for flavor reasons. Mechanically, it's less powerful than you think. This basically gives replacement value (and Dodge) to two of six cards in your hand, so the effect is only really good in conjunction with "Draw" or "Discard" tribal effects. Good thing there's one of them coming right up. Best case scenario is that it gives you something to do with a starter card, and if that means loosing an Agent (and this card) and gaining Tech, 1 Attack, and replacement cards for this card and that one, yeah, that's not a bad deal. If you can't KO 'em, discard 'em. (That Nick Fury would K.O. his own Agents never made sense to me, thematically, though I suppose that card is supposed to be a "promotion.")

Hammer of the Serpent stays out in front of you until you want to use it and generates a whopping two Attack per card discarded. Great deal at basically any cost. Here's the rub: If you manage to recruit a deck with enough Dodge cards, you can get ridiculous amounts of Attack, potentially an infinite amount. It's harder with Skadi than Electro, as only the Madame Hydra cards have Dodge, but because she sometimes draws two cards at a time it is still possible. I'm convinced that Skadi has avoided Electro's notoriety because she doesn't have Dodge herself and appears only in an expansion.

War Banner of HYDRA flips the discarding game on its head, as in a vacuum it requires you to the make the most of the Ancient Oath of HYDRA to get a good amount of Attack. It relies perhaps too much on non-native card draw. Even if you house-rule all S.H.I.E.L.D. cards to be interchangeable with all HYDRA cards and vice-versa, this is still one of the weaker rares in the game. It generates no attack on its own, requires a rare Team affiliation, and within that affiliation only one of them draws more cards than it costs. (Sort of.) It doesn't make sense that this banner would get thrown, though I suppose that is a dramatic image, but it does make sense that it is covert, and it does make sense that it will sit out in front of you until you use it. If you have a hand of all starter cards, which with Skadi you are likely to retain, it at least would give you up to six Attack from that alone, as if you're doing a last-ditch effort from a position of weakness. Like the rest of the deck, a good design, if only for purely thematic reasons.

------

Poll
Which Base set Hero should we do next?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Gambit
52.6% 20
Thor
31.6% 12
Wolverine
15.8% 6
Voters 38
This poll is now closed.   38 answers
Poll created by TheUbiquitous
Closes: Tue Jan 9, 2018 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I disagree. In a sense, it's easier with Skadi than with Electro to get to infinite combo.

Drawing is better than a random chance of KO in terms of getting all the starters out of the way so that you can have the inifinite attack.

She also has an easier time getting madame hydra than him.

Also, there's another factor here - Skadi can get insane amounts of attack in a slightly different way than Electro.

The dodge trick works, but what also works is the draw power.

You can throw the artifact, put it at the bottom of your deck, then play a draw effect, draw it again, throw it again.

I remember in one league where I had an (almost) infinite cycle with Skadi and Amara.

Basically with Amara's rare and Skadi's uncommon, you can gain a lot of attack and a LOT of draw power as both cards recycle themselves easily.

And keep in mind, that Skadi's common are techs. Tech is the best draw color in this game.

A deck with Skadi and Iron-man\Octpus\Ultron\Mr.Fantastic (yada yada yada) could also reach insane amounts of attacks.

Even if you don't have a lot of discards, you still get to recycle this card in and of itself.

Heck, the fact that she is tech\strength makes her a good match for Beast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Skadi better than Electro, because I find the commons useful *before* the uncommon shows up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately Fear Itself is my least played set. My group got burnt out on Villains pretty quickly, and that extended to Fear Itself. I do like Thrown Artifacts though.

Dark Prophecy - Not bad. I guess you could always Dodge the Madame HYDRAs, so there isn't that much of a downside to grabbing them. They power up her Hammer.

Ancient Oath of HYDRA - This card is a bit of a mixed bag. It's a little on the expensive side. I would compare this card to Superior Iron Man's Optimized Technology and Legion's Channel card. With this card you don't net any cards like Legion's, and you don't get the extra attack from SIM. However, you are hoping that you are trading a starter for a better card, so it can usually work out in your favor. If it was cheaper, I'd be more drawn to it.

Hammer of the Serpent - Good card that works with Madam HYDRA, Ancient Oath, Dodge, etc. Sits around until the best time to use it.

War Banner of HYDRA - This rare doesn't actually jive well with the uncommon, which is begging you to discard HYDRA cards (and other ones). Has the advantage of sitting in front of you, but really just has the same effect of Nick Fury's Legendary Commander. Does have the advantages of the Thrown Artifact, sits there until you are ready to use it, goes to the bottom of the deck, but lacks the "WOW" factor a lot of Rares have.

Overall - 3/5 - While Hammer of the Serpent is a good card, the rest are just OK. The Common and Rare cards leave you wanting, and that's never a good thing. Pair with Green Goblin for Dodge hijinks, or even Electro to try and get your infinite attack on. Bring Bob from Mercs for Money along as well. He's Hydra affiliated, and will let you draw Skadi cards you have recruited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
I remember in one league where I had an (almost) infinite cycle with Skadi and Amara.

I'm guessing you mean The Enchantress?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Snaer
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheUbiquitous wrote:
HYDRA cards are a rare breed. Exactly two Hero/Ally decks have a HYDRA team affiliation,

I think I'll have to disagree with this answer, simply because of one of the rule statements in the Fear Itself set. It says:

"If a card mentions or is part of the HYDRA team, use the S.H.I.E.L.D. team
instead."

Because of this rule, HYDRA and S.H.I.E.L.D. effectively become one team themselves which opens many new gateways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It also says:

Fear Itself rulesheet wrote:
If you don’t have the Villains set and are using the original Heroic Marvel Legendary ® set instead, here’s what to do:

I've always read that as indicating that HYDRA is not S.H.I.E.L.D. and S.H.I.E.L.D. is not HYDRA in situations where one owns the Villains set.

In any case, it breaks the theme a bit for them to be always and everywhere equivalent. The Villains Base Set rules add:

Villains set rulebook wrote:
While the starting decks have the same numbers, these starting cards are not considered equivalent. Some card effects, like Nick Fury, specifically talk about S.H.I.E.L.D. Heroes or HYDRA Allies. These effects do not apply to the other team. S.H.I.E.L.D. Officers and Madame HYDRA work differently from each other and are also not considered equivalent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jhochges wrote:
GrandMasterFox wrote:

Can't be, her name is Amora.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheUbiquitous wrote:
It also says:

If you don’t have the Villains set and are using the original Heroic Marvel Legendary ® set instead, here’s what to do:

I've always read that as indicating that HYDRA is not S.H.I.E.L.D. and S.H.I.E.L.D. is not HYDRA in situations where one owns the Villains set.

In any case, it breaks the theme a bit for them to be always and everywhere equivalent. The Villains Base Set rules add:

While the starting decks have the same numbers, these starting cards are not considered equivalent. Some card effects, like Nick Fury, specifically talk about S.H.I.E.L.D. Heroes or HYDRA Allies. These effects do not apply to the other team. S.H.I.E.L.D. Officers and Madame HYDRA work differently from each other and are also not considered equivalent.

The Fear Itself rules are for using this expansion when you don't have Villains, essentially saying that you can replace HYDRA with SHIELD since you don't have any HYDRA basic cards.

Our house rule is that your starting cards count as HYDRA and SHIELD, but not anything that you recruit/gain from the HQ (Heroes, Madam HYDRAs, SHIELD Officers, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played with Fear Itself for one season of the Starter League, but Skadi was easily my favorite Fear Itself "hero" in terms of gameplay design. Top notch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Snaer
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheUbiquitous wrote:
It also says:

Oh I didn't see that; I don't own the Villains set so it makes sense I guess that I wouldn't be on the right page, although I think I'll keep it for myself as a house rule to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SnaerSnare wrote:
Oh I didn't see that; I don't own the Villains set so it makes sense I guess that I wouldn't be on the right page, although I think I'll keep it for myself as a house rule to use.

Not a worry. That's also why I said "Hero Decks."

Even if Nick Fury were house-ruled as equivalent to HYDRA, that would still only mean him, Elsa, and a few from the Cap expansion as Heroes, and I don't know if they work particularly well with Skadi or Madame Hydra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
jhochges wrote:
GrandMasterFox wrote:

Yeah, that is her name... If I knew how to spell it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
DarthEd wrote:
I've only played with Fear Itself for one season of the Starter League, but Skadi was easily my favorite Fear Itself "hero" in terms of gameplay design. Top notch.

How is something with an infinite attack a top notch design?

(Or am I missing some sarcasm?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deutsch
msg tools
mb
She's a surprisingly fun hero, more fun than I expected her to be. The one change that I would do would be to tone her down a bit, achieved by switching the attack bonuses on her uncommons and her rare.

One of the upsides about the lack of more Hyrda is that Bob and Skadi thematically clash, with him being a goofy cog in the Hydra machine and Skadi being a super serious leader. I find it fun to imagine how they interact together when I use them in the same deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olny played a couple of games with her, as I only just got Fear Itself sleeved, but she is one of my favourite Allies from that set. I really like the Thrown Artifact mechanic and I think she utilises it well. Those uncommons can really pack a punch. I quite like the rare too, I picked that up relatively early in a game the other day, and IIRC it was giving me 4-6 attack or so each time I played it which was pretty regularly, between a tight deck with a fair amount of card draw, and being able to use it just before cycling my deck, so that it came up again in the next hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
jhochges wrote:
GrandMasterFox wrote:

Yeah, that is her name... If I knew how to spell it

Amara is another Hero's name. Magma, however she ain't contributing to anybodies infinity attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
DarthEd wrote:

How is something with an infinite attack a top notch design?

(Or am I missing some sarcasm?)

Nope, no sarcasm. Unless I'm mistaken, you can only pull off an infinite loop with these cards if you play with the Villains base set, which I don't own and don't really plan to ever own. Problem solved.

Also, to clarify, my comment was mainly regarding how fun her cards are to play, and I found them to be very fun to play/combo. That said, I've already admitted that I've only played with her one time, so feel free to take that comment with a grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.