Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I know the answer but need help. When you move your winning bid from military card does that mean also that you remove the tactic card from its place with its standard token on as you have now technically disbanded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman56 wrote:
I think I know the answer but need help. When you move your winning bid from military card does that mean also that you remove the tactic card from its place with its standard token on as you have now technically disbanded.

You never lose your tactic. The only way to move your marker away from a tactic is to select a new tactic to use.

Tactic cards are never removed from the game, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow......so I am wrong on that then. I assumed that like the military strength is reduced, that your tactic card has to go too.
Thank you for quick reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Charlap
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it like this: Your tactic is the general strategy that your military uses in battle. Even if you don't have the units needed to take advantage of the tactic, you still know HOW to do it. Thus, you do not lose the tactic, even if the army no longer exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman56 wrote:
Wow......so I am wrong on that then. I assumed that like the military strength is reduced, that your tactic card has to go too.
Thank you for quick reply.

In fact, you'll make things easier for yourself if you stop thinking about colony payment as a reduction in strength.

Think of it like this: When bidding, you count the strength of the group that leaves for the promised land. If your civilization has adopted a tactic (for example, if your troops attack in legions), and if your colonization force is large enough to form an army (for example, three infantry units forming a legion), they get a bonus. But you don't get the bonus for losing a legion, you get the bonus because your troops march into their new home in a well-organized legion formation.

Of course, once you have sent a group of units off to the promised land, you recalculate your military. And it will usually be lower. But that is a separate step - it technically has nothing to do with paying the bid.

(Also, like others have said, your tactic marker is not an army. It just describes how your soldiers prefer to fight. Every time they have the option, they will fight like that and you get the bonus. That is important because you can get the bonus twice (or more) if you have enough troops, and because you do not lose the tactic even if your troops are, at the moment, unable to fight the way they prefer)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.