Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: assign damage to a unit resistance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alberto Davide
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
When I assign damage to a unit resistance to that attack, do I have to double the armor? I think yes, or at least half the damage round down like in enemy resistance.
Because in the introduction it's written only that the unit hasn't wounded if the damage isn't greater than the armor, instead the rulebook says to double the armor.
About a card, frost bridge, it says to reduce the move cost of lakes and swamps to 1, but there isn't a move cost for lakes, why writing it then! So do I move through lakes for free?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
On page 8 of the rules, rightmost column:
"• First, reduce amount of the damage by the Unit’s Armor (without Wounding the Unit).
• If this absorbs all the damage, nothing happens.
• If there is any remaining damage, continue assigning damage as usual by Wounding the Unit and reducing the damage total by its Armor value again.
– Units resistant to the given type of attack can absorb twice as much damage as they have Armor, and are Wounded only if the damage was greater than their Armor.
• If a Unit is assigned damage but does not get Wounded because of a resistance, it cannot be assigned damage again during the same combat."

al776 wrote:
When I assign damage to a unit resistance to that attack, do I have to double the armor?

This is effectively what happens, but this is not how this is technically implemented. Just follow the steps described in the rules.

Quote:
About a card, frost bridge, it says to reduce the move cost of lakes and swamps to 1, but there isn't a move cost for lakes, why writing it then! So do I move through lakes for free?

You don't move through lakes for free. You move through lakes for 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Davide
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
Ok, but then in the introduction, (not in the rulebook) there is a mistake, even the exemple is wrong (the one of the golem).
About "frost bridge" 1 point seems right to me, but how do you know? I haven't found nowhere.
These games always got some misty point, but always worth the effort for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
al776 wrote:
Ok, but then in the introduction, (not in the rulebook) there is a mistake, even the exemple is wrong (the one of the golem).

Why is that?

walkthrough wrote:
Example: These Guardian Golems have Armor 3 and physical
resistance. If you assign 3 or less physical damage to them, nothing
happens, as it will be absorbed before it does any harm. If you
assign 4 or more damage to them, they will get Wounded.
If, for example, you have 8 total damage to assign, you could assign
6 to the Guardian Golems, they get Wounded, and then 2 damage
would be left over to be assigned elsewhere.

1] First, reduce the damage from 8 to 5, with the Golems absorbing the damage with no effect

2] Then reduce the damage from 5 to 2, but this time the Golems get a wound card.

3] The final 2 points now need to be assigned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
al776 wrote:
About "frost bridge" 1 point seems right to me, but how do you know? I haven't found nowhere.
These games always got some misty point, but always worth the effort for me!

About the assign damage, the other posts got it right!

About the frost brdge card, first of all, when talking about a card the best would be the write it text here, so its easier for everyone to give you a proper answer!

Frost bridge, as the card says, is a bridge... made out of frost (solid water) if you read the full card it will tell you something about moving even through lakes!

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyGuyRy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
al776 wrote:

Just read the card: "Move 4. You are able to travel through lakes, and the Move cost of lakes and swamps is reduced to 1 this turn." It doesn't say the word 'free' or 'zero' anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Davide
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
jdarnold wrote:
al776 wrote:

Why is that?

walkthrough]Example: These Guardian Golems have Armor 3 and physical

1] First, reduce the damage from 8 to 5, with the Golems absorbing the damage with no effect

2] Then reduce the damage from 5 to 2, but this time the Golems get a wound card.

3 wrote:
The final 2 points now need to be assigned.

If I assign 4 physical damage to the golem having 3 armor, shouldn't I double the armor because of the resistance to physical damage? So 4-6=0. And if damage is 8 physical and armor 3 it's 8-6(doubled)=2 so one wound; 2-6 absorbed.
If it's not like this, than there must be something I missed.
In the walkthrough is written like you say but in the rulebook is written to double the armor when resistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Davide
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
About the frost bridge card I confused "reduced to 1" with "reduced of 1" you're right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Honore
France
Mâcon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
al776 wrote:
If I assign 4 physical damage to the golem having 3 armor, shouldn't I double the armor because of the resistance to physical damage? So 4-6=0. And if damage is 8 physical and armor 3 it's 8-6(doubled)=2 so one wound; 2-6 absorbed.

You never "double" the armor in Mage Knight to assign damage.
If you do that, your units would always get wounded when you assign damage to them, regardless of their resistances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Davide
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
nomrefuse wrote:
al776 wrote:

You never "double" the armor in Mage Knight to assign damage.
If you do that, your units would always get wounded when you assign damage to them, regardless of their resistances.

So, I only do have to reduce the damage and take a wound if it's greater than the armor?
Or maybe I should half the damage round down like with enemy's resistance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
al776 wrote:
jdarnold wrote:
[q="al776"]Ok, but then in the introduction, (not in the rulebook) there is a mistake, even the exemple is wrong (the one of the golem).

Why is that?

walkthrough]Example: These Guardian Golems have Armor 3 and physical

3] The final 2 points now need to be assigned.[/q wrote:

In the walkthrough is written like you say but in the rulebook is written to double the armor when resistance.

You do not ever double armour!

4 damage inflicted on 3 armour unit without resisitance. 3 damage absorbed, unit takes one wound, 1 damage left.

4 damage inflicted on 3 armour unit with resistance. 3 damage absorbed, no wound given. 1 damage left. That damage can be absorbed by the unit, with one wound given.

8 damage inflicted on a 3 armour unit without resistance. 3 damage absorbed, unit takes one wound, 5 damage left.

8 damage inflicted on a 3 armour unit with resistance. 3 damage absorbed, no wound given. 5 damage left. 3 more damage can be absorbed by the unit, one wound givren, 2 damage left to distribute.

Just follow the rules as written exactly, step by step. And do not think of resistance as doubling armour, it does not, even if it sometimes seems to have that effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
al776 wrote:

So, I only do have to reduce the damage and take a wound if it's greater than the armor?
Or maybe I should half the damage round down like with enemy's resistance!

Don't do that either, just follow the rules.

When a unit has resistance, it can first absorb a number of hits equal to its armour without taking a wound. Then it can choose to absorb an additional number of hits equal to its armour by taking a wound.

A unit without resistance can only absorb a number of hits equal to its armour by taking a wound. That's it.

That is the difference between units with and without resistance, at no point should you be doubling or halfing armour, that isn't how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyGuyRy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
al776 wrote:

It doesn't say that at all dude. Just read the rulebook page 8.

"First , reduce amount of the damage by the Unit’s
Armor (without Wounding the Unit).
• If this absorbs all the damage, nothing happens.
• If there is any remaining damage, continue assigning
damage as usual by Wounding the Unit and reducing the
damage total by its Armor value again.
Units resistant to the given type of attack can absorb
twice as much damage as they have Armor, and are
Wounded only if the damage was greater than their
Armor.

You're not "doubling the armor" you're doubling the amount of damage they can absorb. Those are 2 completely different things. That unit can take 3 points of physical damage multiplied by 2. 3x2=6. Thus 8-6=2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
A simpler flow looks like this:

For the damage assigned to a unit:

1. If the unit is resistant to the damage, subtract its armor from the damage again. If any damage remains, or if the unit is not resistant,
2. Subtract armor from the damage and wound the unit. If any damage remains,
3. Assign remaining damage to a new target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Honore
France
Mâcon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErsatzDragon wrote:

1. Subtract its armor from the damage. If any damage remains,
2. If the unit is resistant to the damage, subtract its armor from the damage again. If any damage remains,
3. Subtract armor from the damage again and wound the unit. If any damage remains,
4. Assign remaining damage to a new target.

That looks wrong to me.
The first step should not be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ErsatzDragon wrote:

1. Subtract its armor from the damage. If any damage remains,
2. If the unit is resistant to the damage, subtract its armor from the damage again. If any damage remains,
3. Subtract armor from the damage again and wound the unit. If any damage remains,
4. Assign remaining damage to a new target.

But this is wrong and would result in a unit with resistance absorbing armour x3 damage which is not the way the rules work. Remove the first step and you have it right.

It is simply as follows:

reverendunclebastard wrote:

When a unit has resistance, it can first absorb a number of hits equal to its armour without taking a wound. Then it can choose to absorb an additional number of hits equal to its armour by taking a wound.

A unit without resistance can only absorb a number of hits equal to its armour by taking a wound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Ah, sorry. Without looking at the rules myself, I'd thought the Page 8 excerpt was for armor in general, not for resistance specifically. I'll edit the original just to prevent confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add 2 more points related to this, although it hasn't come up yet:

1] Units absorb damage first, then the hero. You can't do it the other way around

2] A unit has to absorb as much as it can, before you can pass the damage along. So if you have 2 units with physical resistance, you can't have one absorb damage, then the other absorb damage, with neither of them taking a wound. First one would absorb up to 2x its armor in damage and get a wound, then you can figure out where else to pass along the damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is important to be aware that the rules regarding resistant enemies and the rules regarding resistant units are entirely separate. A lot of people get confused because they try to apply the rules for resistant enemies when their units are attacked.

Despite sharing icons, the two concepts are almost entirely different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
al776 wrote:
If I assign 4 physical damage to the golem having 3 armor, shouldn't I double the armor because of the resistance to physical damage?

First - resistance never doubles anything. In some circumstances, it halves things.

Second - the way resistance works for units is different than the way resistance works for mage knights, which may be confusing you. When a unit is resistant, it's armor value isn't efficient/inefficient, you change the order of operations. Rather than taking a wound and then reducing damage, you reduce damage first. If that leaves zero damage, no wounds are assigned. If damage remains, then you wound the unit and reduce the damage again (as the other posters noted).

So let's play out your example with a non-resistant unit and then with the Golems, both of whom have 3 armor.

For the non-resistant unit, you give the unit a wound and then reduce the damage by it's armor. 4-3=1, so you still have one damage to assign either to the mage knight or to another unit.

For the Golems, you instead reduce damage by armor first, ending up with the same 1 damage. But since you used a resistant unit, they have to absorb that remaining damage, so they take a wound and you reduce damage by their armor again, which leaves none left to assign.

The Golems can effectively eat double their armor in damage, yes. But you aren't actually doubling anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuseppe Mario
msg tools
It's al776 Alberto I've had a problem with the account or something.
I've finally realized. It's the example of the golems with 6 armor that confused me, I didn't understand it was about the picture of golem with 3 armor, I thought it was figurative (abstract?). And the part in the rulebook that says you can't assign damage to a unit twice make me wrong, it was talking about normal assignation without resistance.
So I take a wounds if the damage is greater than the armor and then reassign the damage to the unit reducing it again, and if there is still damage I assign it to the hero, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beppe667 wrote:
So I take a wounds if the damage is greater than the armor and then reassign the damage to the unit reducing it again, and if there is still damage I assign it to the hero, right?

I'm unsure what you mean by "I take a wounds if the damage is greater than the armor..." Do you mean that you take a wound into your hand if the damage is greater than your armor? If so, then NO! You assign damage to your units first, if desired. After the units absorb the damage and take their wounds, any leftover damage then goes to you.

It's possible all damage goes just to your units and you remain unscathed, depending on the amount of damage, the units' armor, and their resistances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beppe667 wrote:

Let's try giving you a sequence to follow. When you are assigning damage:

1) If you assign damage to a resistant unit, reduce the damage by the armor of the unit. If this leaves zero damage, you are done. Otherwise:

2) If the unit is not resistant OR there is damage left after step 1, wound the unit, then reduce the damage by the armor value. If this leaves zero damage you are done. Otherwise:

3) Pick another unit and repeat this process OR assign damage to the Mage Knight following appropriate rules.

There's no requirement to shift from the unit to your MK - you could assign the remaining damage to another unit so long as no unit ever is assigned damage more than once in a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beppe667 wrote:
It's al776 Alberto I've had a problem with the account or something.
I've finally realized. It's the example of the golems with 6 armor that confused me, I didn't understand it was about the picture of golem with 3 armor, I thought it was figurative (abstract?). And the part in the rulebook that says you can't assign damage to a unit twice make me wrong, it was talking about normal assignation without resistance.

Just follow this sequence:

reverendunclebastard wrote:
4 damage inflicted on 3 armour unit without resistance. 3 damage absorbed, unit takes one wound, 1 damage left.

4 damage inflicted on 3 armour unit with resistance. 3 damage absorbed, no wound given. 1 damage left. Unit can absorb up to 3 more damage with one wound given. No damage left

8 damage inflicted on a 3 armour unit without resistance. 3 damage absorbed by unit, unit takes one wound, 5 damage left.

8 damage inflicted on a 3 armour unit with resistance. 3 damage absorbed, no wound given. 5 damage left. 3 more damage can be absorbed by the unit, one wound given, 2 damage left.

Just follow the rules as written exactly, step by step. And do not think of resistance as doubling armour, it does not, even if it sometimes seems to have that effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuseppe Mario
msg tools
Yes, I was talking about the unit's armor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.