8 Posts

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Quick review after playing with my young kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
alex z
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi folks, here is a quick feedback after playing for the first time.

I finally got to play this game after owning it for a few months and doing some painting. It was Xmas time, I was home with the kids while my wife was at work, so we engaged in our first Silver Tower game!

My kids are 5 and 8, and we don't play a lot of boardgames. My 5 year old is just learning to read, so I have to do most of the work on reading cards rules etc for him. My daughter can read but she doesn't yet grasp all the subtleties of different attacks, bonuses, etc.

As this was also my first time playing it, I spent too much time going back and forth in the rulebook to remember what to do in certain cases.

I had no idea how long our first gaming session would take. It ended up being a 3 hour playthrough.

My kids picked the Knight Questor and WarPriest while I took the Fireslayer as these were painted and made for what I hope to be a balanced team. Most of the ennemies were not painted but that didn't bother us too much.

We started the game by going over the basics of throwing the dices, which order to throw and what to do with them (how to hit, wound, save etc). This was easy to understand for the kids after a few minutes. Where they got lost was with their hero cards and their abilities. I baby sitted them through the entire game for this. I guess with more games and practice this will become easier for them to decide on their own.

I made several mistakes and made tons of adjustments to make the game quicker and easier for them.

Example of mistakes / things we ignored:

- Not putting the cards for the tiles at the end of the current tiles. We just had one pile we kept picking from. It also happened that the next tile to place was already layed on on our board, so we just went ahead and picked up the next one. Not sure if this was correct.

- We completely forgot about respite and treasure hunting. We were just so busy killing baddies that we kept moving to next room as fast as possible.

- We also forgot to apply the effects that could appear in a room (I remember one with shooting laser beams that we just ignored as it seemed too complicated to manage with all the ennemies that appeared).

- We ignored the little familiars and their effects altogether.

Overall, my kids really liked the game a the beginning, but my little one lost interest after 1 hour as the game was just dragging on. It was slow because it was our first time running it and we were just learning the basics.

They absolutely loved the minis and killing the ennemies, but the story and fluff made no impression on them (yet). The game looks great with the colorful tiles and the Shadows of brimstone gates I use re-inforce the immersion. They just loved getting into a new room and discovering what new challenges were wating for us.

I was kind of wondering how / when the game would end, and we ended up in a room where we had to kill each other at the end for the rune. They hated this part and they didn't understand why they had to fight each other after playing together. I wanted to keep things fun so I just canceled this part and gave them each a fragment.

The only negative part I have so far about this game is the constant flipping in the rule for the advesaries. I just received the adversaries card which solves this, but I wish they had this in the base game from the start. I also wish they had the additional 4 hero cards from the Adventure book as seperate cards to make it easier to play these heroes.

I am not sure how to start of our next game (do we just start back from page 1?). How do we reach the Gaunt Summoner? Things we will have to find out in our next gaming sessions.

Overall this is a fun game and our next gaming session will for sure be faster, smoother and even more enjoyable

I highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys fantasy, dungeon exploration, combat and miniatures. It has great value and replayability for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you might be playing some things wrong. You should never be in a position where you draw a dungeon tile from the exploration deck which is already in play. You build the dungeon deck based on the specific mission; you never use the whole deck.

Make sure you read The first page of the quest book, which explains how to select your next mission and directs you to the correct entry in the book for getting started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex z
msg tools
mbmbmb
Indeed, I just re-read passage 89 and see that I need to construct a deck...

why can't they have put these rules in the rules book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dear! You're not the first person to make this mistake, and you won't be the last. In hindsight, the problem is probably the minimalist design style we were going for with the rulebook - the "Components" spread contains a load of useful information (for example, it tells you how to set up the board, and then tells you to go to the Adventure book to complete setup) but I think a lot of people skim over it. The rulebook was designed to act as a tutorial, to be read at the table with all the players present, but a simplified rule summary sheet would probably have been a good addition.

Thankfully, N/A put together a really handy reference sheet which you might find useful!

Give it another go - three hour games really shouldn't be the norm. Hope you get along better next time!

Oh, one other thing - there's a very exhaustive errata / FAQ document here, which might answer some questions. The most important bit when you're getting started is the errata for page 31 of the Adventure Book, which I'll recreate here for clarity's sake:

Quote:
The explanation of how you build the exploration deck for this trial can allow you to encounter the grand chamber card before you should – to avoid this, replace it with the following:

‘Before you go any further, you must construct the exploration deck for this trial as follows:

Take the 7 exploration cards marked with the Hysh icon (shown above), returning the rest to the box. (You will not need them for this trial.) Set aside The Librarian, Searing Beams and Whirligig Passage. Of the four that remain, take two at random (without looking at them) and shuffle them together with the grand chamber card, Searing Beams. Once the three cards are shuffled, put them face-down next to the ingress chamber’s exit. Next, shuffle together The Librarian with the two remaining cards, and put them face-down on top of the three cards you placed at the chamber’s exit. Finally, put Whirligig Passage on top. This completes the exploration deck.

You can now return to the guidebook and begin your first trial.’

Best of luck with it, and if you get stuck at all you shouldn't hesitate to post some questions on the forums here. People are incredibly friendly and helpful around these parts (especially Kevin, who responded to you above - I've seen very few questions he hasn't given a thorough answer to!).

All the best
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex z
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the feeback. So, James, you were part of the team that worked on Silver Tower? Thansk for making a great game

I am an old time Warhammer player 4th edition, started playing, collecting and paintn around 1992, so I am used to big rules book, large tables where you have to match your strength and your ennemies armor to figure out your hit etc Warhammer did come with a handy cardboard reference sheet for 2 players which we always needed. I collected Dark Elves and Chaos, while my cousins collected Orks, Dwarves, Elves and Dark Dwarves / Evil Dwarves (at least tried, they never got a full army / codex). I remember also buying the Siege expansion

The new adversary cards are great in that sense as I guess I no longer have to flip back and forth in the rulebook during fights, but for me these should have been added straight into the core box. Blah, can't blame GW for making a few extra bucks ;p

I guess my next game / trial will go faster and the card setup will be correct this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesMHewitt wrote:
Oh dear! You're not the first person to make this mistake, and you won't be the last. In hindsight, the problem is probably the minimalist design style we were going for with the rulebook - the "Components" spread contains a load of useful information (for example, it tells you how to set up the board, and then tells you to go to the Adventure book to complete setup) but I think a lot of people skim over it. The rulebook was designed to act as a tutorial, to be read at the table with all the players present, but a simplified rule summary sheet would probably have been a good addition.

I'm not a massive fan of the layout of some of the rules in the book - the round box-outs and things like that are a bit confusing and sometimes it's hard to find the right info, but I actually thought you and your team did a really good job of introducing the game.

First you read "Setting Up" in the book that says "Read this first." At the end of that section it says read "Starting a Trial in the Quest Book." In that section it says "read passage 89." Passage 89 tells you how to set up your first dungeon and then says to return to the rules book. The next page in the rules book is "The First Round."

Bam. You're playing.

Rules books are hard though. Everybody learns games in different ways, and you'll never do the right thing for everyone. I'm a bit keen on skipping sections listing components and bits like that because obviously I'm super awesome and I've played enough games to know exactly what all these bits do and... oh... So, I was playing that bit wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghorron
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexz3 wrote:
As this was also my first time playing it, I spent too much time going back and forth in the rulebook to remember what to do in certain cases.

alexz3 wrote:
We completely forgot about respite and treasure hunting. We were just so busy killing baddies that we kept moving to next room as fast as possible.

You should definitly check out the official errata. They changed some passages and especially the respite phase.

alexz3 wrote:
The only negative part I have so far about this game is the constant flipping in the rule for the advesaries. I just received the adversaries card which solves this, but I wish they had this in the base game from the start.

Before the adversaries cards were released, I copied them all from the rule book (scaled down to 75%) and laminated them, worked great. Haven't looked at the new cards yet, if they are better, but they added a bunch of new adversaries, so it is a must-buy anyway.

alexz3 wrote:
I also wish they had the additional 4 hero cards from the Adventure book as seperate cards to make it easier to play these heroes.

There is a hero cards pack, containing ~40 new hero sheets including the extra heroes from the adventure book.

alexz3 wrote:
Not putting the cards for the tiles at the end of the current tiles. We just had one pile we kept picking from. It also happened that the next tile to place was already layed on on our board, so we just went ahead and picked up the next one. Not sure if this was correct.

alexz3 wrote:
I was kind of wondering how / when the game would end, and we ended up in a room where we had to kill each other at the end for the rune. They hated this part and they didn't understand why they had to fight each other after playing together. I wanted to keep things fun so I just canceled this part and gave them each a fragment.

alexz3 wrote:
I am not sure how to start of our next game (do we just start back from page 1?). How do we reach the Gaunt Summoner? Things we will have to find out in our next gaming sessions.

All this problems caused by the same thing: you don't shuffle all room cards together. For each of the 8 fragments there is an starting entry with instructions on how to assemble the respective deck. All have a final chamber, that is randomized with the last few cards, and succeeding in this chamber grants the respective fragment. Once all fragments are collected, you can face the final trial

Silver Tower remains one of my favourite light dungeon crawls (compared to Kingdom Death: Monster, or Gloomhaven). I hope they release more co-op content, more trials etc, like they recently did with Shadows over Hamerhall

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex z
msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't find the Hero cards in French (our main language)

Now that I understood the deck building part, all should be good.

I started painting some portal doors to have some 3D terrain element :

can't wait for our next game!

but then I still have to play and finish painting my minis for:

Imperial Assault
Hammerhall
Space Hulk
Age of Sigmar
Shadespire
Star Wars Rebellion
Ticket to Ride

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.