Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Post campaign, while you still have a selection of advancement cards to choose from, when drawing a new persona or personal objectives, you are limited to just drawing the top card of the deck.

While I understand it for the objectives - they have a small pool, the investment to get a new one doesn't always pay off as you may end up with something that just doesn't mesh with what you're doing. I have done one game (solo) focusing on objectives, and I found it to significantly hamper going in that direction, as both personal objectives I pulled weren't feasible to me in that game.

Persona post campaign are another situation however. The deck is massive, and it does take a bit of effort to pull a new one - either you have to have the shoe maker in play, and then spend an advancement card & influence to draw a random one, or get the gauntlets. So it's not going to happen every game, but I did find again that more often than not I was pulling something useless. Again I did play a solo game focusing on this, and of the 4 persona I pulled only 1 was of any use. Compared to the campaign game, where you will be pulling from a known pool and you can get out one that will be of use to you, the post campaign version seems very underwhelming.

Is there any reason this wasn't made to be draw 3 keep one, or something that allowed you greater choice when drawing, and didn't make it as heavily dependent on luck as it currently is? Most of the game isn't overly luck dependent, so it seems somewhat out of place.

Food for thought, and I would be curious to know if this came up at all in playtesting. I wouldn't mind seeing a change here, but I could be missing something that I hadn't though of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Ward
United States
Newport News
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you... During the campaign, if you pull a new persona for use, you get to pick out of your stack. After the campaign, it probably should be "draw 3, choose 1" or something like that. I would house-rule that. (:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Geery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I would imagine it is that way because certain personas are so strong and the right hand picked combination could be unstoppable. The alternative of having a choice at the start of play then taking what you draw after that makes for a wider variety of unpredictable possibilities. Pulling something useless and failing to find a use for what you pull are not the same things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy McMahon
Australia
Goulburn
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Otherish wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I would imagine it is that way because certain personas are so strong and the right hand picked combination could be unstoppable. The alternative of having a choice at the start of play then taking what you draw after that makes for a wider variety of unpredictable possibilities. Pulling something useless and failing to find a use for what you pull are not the same things.

I agree, and this is what severely unbalanced the end of our campaign. Interesting that it seems to have been addressed for after the campaign.

Still, all up the campaign was great fun and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one of the grossly broken personas that I never seemed to get, in the post campaign game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people are suggesting that another way to draw and add another active persona to your charter in a post-campaign game would be to make that an optional benefit of the Charterstone building (as opposed to actually opening a crate). Not sure if I like that , but I get the idea. I'd say only drawing one persona as opposed to drawing three and choosing, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.