Subject: potential future buyer with some noob questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi everyone,

After a lot of hesitation, I think I am ready to take the plunge into the "wonderful" world of KDM. However, as this is quite an investment, both financially and time-wise, I do have a few (lot) of questions :

1. I guess I will play solo a lot. I have seen mixed information on that in the sense that some people thought it was too much book-keeping playing solo. What do you think ? Indeed, I don't want my sessions being mostly spent writing stuff on the char sheet for instance. IS there an iOS app that helps in that respect ?
2. I think I know the answer but still : it is possible to start a campagin solo and play some parts with other people from time to time as well ? Is it possible to play 2 campaigns simultaneously ? I have read that it is possible, but doesn't it spoil some parts of the campaign ?
3. How long is the setup ? Also, it is easy to "save" the game within a lantern ? For instance, if I understood correctly, a lantern comprises 3 phases which are more or less independent, and a whole lantern takes 1-3 hours. Given my family constraints,I will seldom be able to play 3 hours in a row at night (more like 1-1.5H while my wife does other things). Hence, can I stop between phases, or even within a phase and "save" the game in some way and set it up another day without it taking 30 minutes (given that I have 2 young daughters and a rather small apartment, leaving the game "as is" on a table is not an option)?
4. IS there an online version of the manual and above all the 1.5 one ? I haven't been able to find one. Also, what are the changes brought by version 1.5 ?
5. I have read in this wonderful review (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1770017/if-thou-gaze-long-a...) that the Core game was a bit repetitive with only 7 monsters and expansions were necessary. Is it a common view ? Does it change with 1.5 ? If so, what expansions should i buy in priority ? How are expansions added to the game ? It seems that mainly add additional monsters to fight in the Showdown phase right ? Indeed, I am a bit afraid that the campaign becomes a bit of a grind after a while no?
6. IS painting the minis mandatory ? I am not a great painter but I guess I could do it if push comes to shove. IS there any guide in that regards ?

Well, that was a lot of questions, oriabbaly some basic ones. Feel free to direct me towards links that already answer some of my questions. I have already read quite a few reviews and threads, but there are sooooo many...

thanks a lot in advance for any suggestions you might have!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
get off my avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hey there, hope I can help you a bit.

01. there is a tool kdm-manager, you find it online, guess it will do
the job. you can play it solo and from my experience it is doable even without technical helpers.

02. friends can jump right into your campaign and taking over
some characters and fight on your side. you can go on solo afterwards.

03. the setup doesnt take long, mostly it is picking the right cards
for the showdown and preparing the playfield. if you got a big table
you can place the settlement next to the playfield, so you dont need
to setup the settlement again after each fight.

04.there isnt an online version of the manual.

05. For your first playthrough you dont need any expansions. if you
play the game a looooot, you can thinking bout getting some expansions
and replace some foes by them.

06. mandatory? no, but they look nicer if painted. if you are a beginner you could
just using a primer and a wash to make them look old.
check out youtube for some ideas, there are tons of painting tutorials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Mononen
Finland
Kuopio
Pohjois-Savo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lillumultipass wrote:
Hi everyone,

After a lot of hesitation, I think I am ready to take the plunge into the "wonderful" world of KDM. However, as this is quite an investment, both financially and time-wise, I do have a few (lot) of questions :

1. I guess I will play solo a lot. I have seen mixed information on that in the sense that some people thought it was too much book-keeping playing solo. What do you think ? Indeed, I don't want my sessions being mostly spent writing stuff on the char sheet for instance. IS there an iOS app that helps in that respect ?

There are few web pages where you can do the bookkeeping. And The game works really well as solo

2. I think I know the answer but still : it is possible to start a campagin solo and play some parts with other people from time to time as well ? Is it possible to play 2 campaigns simultaneously ? I have read that it is possible, but doesn't it spoil some parts of the campaign ?

I am running atleast 4 campaigns currently but most are not very active. It is really easy to keep many games running at the sametime with good bookkeeping

3. How long is the setup ? Also, it is easy to "save" the game within a lantern ? For instance, if I understood correctly, a lantern comprises 3 phases which are more or less independent, and a whole lantern takes 1-3 hours. Given my family constraints,I will seldom be able to play 3 hours in a row at night (more like 1-1.5H while my wife does other things). Hence, can I stop between phases, or even within a phase and "save" the game in some way and set it up another day without it taking 30 minutes (given that I have 2 young daughters and a rather small apartment, leaving the game "as is" on a table is not an option)?

Setup takes quite a long time so I usually play atleast 2 LY when I play

4. IS there an online version of the manual and above all the 1.5 one ? I haven't been able to find one. Also, what are the changes brought by version 1.5 ?

No official atleast

5. I have read in this wonderful review (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1770017/if-thou-gaze-long-a...) that the Core game was a bit repetitive with only 7 monsters and expansions were necessary. Is it a common view ? Does it change with 1.5 ? If so, what expansions should i buy in priority ? How are expansions added to the game ? It seems that mainly add additional monsters to fight in the Showdown phase right ? Indeed, I am a bit afraid that the campaign becomes a bit of a grind after a while no?

I grinded the white lion 6 times in a row just to get one drop... Still loved the game but it can get grindy.

6. IS painting the minis mandatory ? I am not a great painter but I guess I could do it if push comes to shove. IS there any guide in that regards ?

I'm not going to ruin my minis by painting them but I could hire a painter to do them for me, not a priority though

Well, that was a lot of questions, oriabbaly some basic ones. Feel free to direct me towards links that already answer some of my questions. I have already read quite a few reviews and threads, but there are sooooo many...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Shaw
United Kingdom
Chepstow
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lillumultipass wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm by no means an expert, but in many ways the thoughts of a casual KDM dabbler might help.

1) I've predominatnly been playing with my wife, with my daughter dropping in and out. Book keeping isn't too bad. You have a settlement sheet and character sheets to write on (you can find these or examples of in the files section), and if you're only playing one campaign you can easily keep your equipment and innovation cards ready to put back out again. I'd say total set up time is maybe 10 minutes once you get into the swing.

2 and 3) Kind of as above. It's designed in my opinion to be dropped in and out of if others are happy to not see the complete picture (which I find my family are). We always stop either after the showdown before the settlement phase or just before setting off on the next hunt. It's easy to save and breakdown.

4) Don't really know, sorry.

5) I've been happy enough with the base game, and there's plenty to master. Hunting the same quarry (these are huntable creatures, as opposed to nemesis who are story driven encounters that come to wreck havoc), is part of the ideology. Getting familiar, struggling at first then to improve and eventually dominate. I'm still not tired of the White Lion. Saying that I have now invested in Wave 2, but I wouldn't worry about this for now; there's plenty, and some, in the base game.

6) I'm not a painter and I was a little nervous about building the figures. I shouldn't have been. Spending the time constructing has been almost as enjoyable as playing the game and part of the reason I've ordered more. It's a skill set I never knew I had and time spent is almost meditative. They also look great unpainted though I am considering spending some time to at least learn to airbrush them as statues.

Hope this helps a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Kasper
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lillumultipass wrote:

IMHO there is some bookkeeping ( not a lot) of course it is 4 times more if you play solo but still very manageable. Book-keeping in terms of erase one number and write down another one is not a big deal. The most bookkeeping you will have to do is at the end of your settlement phase where you have to keep track of stored ressources and new innovations etc.

lillumultipass wrote:

Yes, no problem. Of course if you have people come in and leave after on LY they won't enjoy the full potential of the storytelling. Multiple compaigns is no problem as long you keep track and keep everything sorted.

lillumultipass wrote:

Setup is dependant on you storage. I usually set up the boards and a few decks that I need and keep the rest in the box but near the table so I could get the cards if needed. For example you don't always need disorders but if you do it is nice to have it nearby. I have 2 baby boys and also limited in time and it is not that uncommon to get one LY over in 1,5h. Once you know what to do it is quite fast.

lillumultipass wrote:

New monster, a few new gear cards, two new models (no change in gameplay) and a bunch of changed cards. Check the Kickstarter page for more details

lillumultipass wrote:

In that order: Gorm -> DBK -> Sunstalker or Dragon King -> Some Nemesis -> Sunstalker or Dragon King
(That review is great, also check her reviews on the expansions but be careful with spoilers)

Core game is a lot of content, you can easily play 2-3 full compaigns without it getting too boring.

lillumultipass wrote:

If you can handle bare plastic you don't need to paint. Sorastro is doing a series on painting on youtube. Keep in mind that KDM minis are not suitable for beginners if you want a good result. A lot of skin tones and OSL.

Hope it helps you a bit with your decission. IMHO it is one of the best games out there but it has flaws. If the rundom brutality is ok for you go for it. If you cannot handle your team beeing whiped because of one unlucky roll or event it is not for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Sloth might be my spirit animal
badge
Ok, ok, NOW I get it!
mbmbmbmbmb
4) Not legally, and you should not search for it. There are plenty of youtube videos which both describe updates in 1.5 and rules in a test playthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Klijn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I am a relatively new player in KDM, so maybe other can confirm my answers.

1. It requires some time to set up. 5 minuites though should do it. Between each phase you need some time for the setup. 5 minuites between each fase. Use the optimization as is described in the forum thread: "Optimizing play for solo". I orders some coin sheets for myself. Since the american sheets from BCW are difficult to get in europe (huge postal costs) I ordered some from www.verzamelmarkt.nl 'Leuchtturm NUMIS NK12K'. Will post pictures when they arrive.

I haven't used any other optimization methods yet. Maybe I will when I am further in the game. I am in Lantern Year 5 solo right now.

2. Multiple campaigns is possible, but takes more organising since your characters items and for instance the innovation deck need to be changed per campaign.

3. I sometimes play in the evening for a short session of 1,5 hours. For instance a showdown, a showdown + settlement event (is difficult in 1,5 hours). A hunt event does not take a long time in the beginning, but when hunting lv 3 monsters I reccon it takes quite longer. How often you play, how faster it gets though.

4. Haven't seen an online version of the rulebook yet.

5. The monsters have different levels, and the difference is quite big. (well it was for a Lv1 vs. lv2 white lion). I do not think the first campaign will become boring, maybe if you played it multiple times, but those make a lot of fun hours while playing. The expansions are I believe to change monsters. So you remove the white lion and insert a Flower Knight in exchange, It is not the idea I believe to add additional monsters. I will leave it to other people to recommand expansions, I believe the Gorm and Flower Knight are highly rated to replace the white lion and the screaming anthelope.

6. not mandatory at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Klijn wrote:
The expansions are I believe to change monsters. So you remove the white lion and insert a Flower Knight in exchange, It is not the idea I believe to add additional monsters.

The only expansions that replace monsters are:
Spidicules, replacing the antelope
Slender man, replacing the Kingsman

All other expansions can be added in without removing anything, although adding too many to the same campaign can be overwhelming and suboptimal regarding lott and gear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
wow, so many answers already, thanks! I see the community is quite active !
I will digest the answers, read a few links and see if I have additional questions.

And indeed, youtube is probably a good resource, but I am stuck in my family-in-law's and the broadband is atrocious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve only had the game for a few months and played up to the butcher solo, and am a few years into a campaign with my wife.

1) Honestly there is quite a bit of book keeping, so much so that I am abandoning my solo campaign to focus on the one with my wife. It is so much better having someone to help keep track of the characters, effects, moods, modifiers, etc. Managung 4 characters was too much for me. It’s also a lot more fun to have someone to strategize with and to experience the story notes.

2) Other people can seamlessly join in the showdowns, since every fight requires that you bring 4 survivors. There will obviously be a disconnect for them during the settlement phase as it can take a few years to get the resources you need for what you are trying to make.

3) Set up takes me about 15 minutes solo, and about 10 when I play 2P. This can go down as you optimize your storage.

4) No online rule book unfortunately

5) I’ve only played 7 rounds, but am already tired of the white lion. My wife didn’t even want to fight the same monster again after the prologue. The fights against the lions have have played out differently, but not majorly so. It feels repetitive and I am looking forward to our upcoming antelope fight.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
1 If you print some fanmade sheets and use dice to keep track of temporary stuff such as armor and all you should be fine. There are unofficial campaign managers out there but I'm not using them since I don't have my computer on my gaming table, or at hand.

2 It's possible but it'll be painful on your logistics.

3 Depends on what you invested for the game.
If you don't have zipbags or special binder sheets then you'll have to fetch your gear cards and re-do each survivor grid all the time. And that's long and annoying.
Setting up the hunt and the showdown isn't that long.
Setting up the settlement takes a bit longer each lantern year. Browsing through the rulebook is a pain all the time.

4 Dunno but apparently no.

5 I'm halfway through my first campaign and I'm tired of hunting the same 3 monsters all the time. So yeah, expansions are needed IMO, and fast.

6 No. Assembling them isn't either.
So far I've played using standees and minis from the 7th Continent, half-painted dudes from Warhammer 40K, and could see myself using tokens to represent dudes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Allen

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I play solo, the upkeep is the same with 1 or 4 players. The only difference is your changing all the character sheets when damaged is dealt. I suggest using some of the revised settlement and character sheets in the files section at BGG instead of the ones that come with the game, they made everything much more streamlined for me. Either way, upkeep isn't bad solo.

2. I currently have 2 campaigns going on at the same time (one solo, one with a group). The only downsize is you need to write down a bit more, as you'll need cards from one campaign to be used in the other, which means you can't just leave certain decks in place.

3. Setup for your first few games will take a bit. After you understand how everything goes, its much faster. I think it takes me under 5 minutes to set up a showdown, and under 5 to clean it up and set up the settlement. Also you can stop at any time between phases, just write down where you ended so next time you pick it up you aren't lost.

4. Unfortunately there's no online version of the manual, as the creator said he doesn't want it there (citation needed), and everyone respects his wishes.

5. I've played through one campaign that ended painfully early, and now have 2 going simultaneously which are each around year 7. The white lion fight I can see eventually getting boring, but I haven't hit that point yet. I've yet to hunt the Phoenix, or any level 2 monsters. If you play enough, expansions might be worthwhile (Gorm is the suggestion to replace White lion I believe), but you should be fine without. The monsters have enough tricks up their sleeves that they'll keep you entertained.

6. My minis are unpainted. The only minis i constructed so far are the 4 starting survivor minis and monster minis. The starting survivor minis are very easy to construct and there are guides online, so it shouldn't be a problem (I never assembled a mini before this game, and the ones I made aren't Homer Simpson constructing a grill bad, so I call it a win).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
1. I’ve played solo and with 1 other player. Playing solo does have a lot more book keeping, since you are doing everything. When playing with my friend he can sort out the terrain, whilst I’m dealing with the HL and AI decks.

During solo play I often forget fighting arts, disorders and moods. I don’t have that much room to play (the board takes up 90% of the table and the gear grids are on a second chair).

Keeping track of gear and resources can take a bit of time (erasing and adding to storage). To save time on recording gear, I keep built gear in a separate deck to the locations to speed things up.

Also invest in a binder to keep all of the survivor sheets in (in plastic wallets), unborn, available, miss next hunt and dead.

Saying all of this the book keeping isn’t take time consuming, it starts of easy and light and as it gets harder you gain more experience with it, so it doesn’t take longer

2. It is possible to have people drop in and out of a campaign, they need to know that the survivors are not theirs, they are just a commodity to use and discard. However, I would suggest that such players know the basic rules, play the first few lantern years to get the feel of the game. Just jumping in with multiple survival action, affinities and weapon specialisms would be tricky and could put them off.

It is possible to run simultaneous campaigns, however it dies involve more book keeping, as gear and innovations need to be returned to the box each time, rather than kept in a settlement pile

3. Settlement phase can be done without most of the board, just the innovations and a list of equipment and resource cards. There are lots of cheat sheets available to help with this, cutting down on the number of things you need out.

The hunt and showdown phase should be played together, so you can keep the gear grids and survivor sheets correctly set, also events that happen during the hunt phase could effect how you fight in the showdown phase and if you leave it a day or two, you might not remember that your tank lost all of their armour and can’t tank.

As for time, in my paired games we can get through a lvl1 quarry/ level 2 nemesis lantern year in an hour and a half. Solo play is sometimes slower (more things to do) but at other times it is faster (no discussion of what to build, or who to throw at intimacy).

4. No idea

5. I haven’t gotten bored playing the core monsters. I want to include some expansions in my next paired play, not due to boredom of the core monsters, but because I like the other monsters and feel they are missing out.

Remember there are 3 levels of each monster, plus 5 legendary monsters for the quarries, and each level of monster plays differently that is 23 different monsters to fight. Plus how the AI deck is built and discarded during game play means each fight is unique. I haven’t seen gobbled up in about a year.

The only time it gets boring is when you keep on hunting level 1 monsters and kill them in about 3 turns, but are too scared to try a level 2.

6. Painting isn’t needed, however it does make it look better.
If you do paint then you need to know the wargaming rule on painted models, “Your best painted model will die the quickest.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Slaaneth wrote:
Your best painted model will die the quickest.
I think you mean "Painted models roll better."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Slaaneth wrote:

I’ve never seen that effect in over 2 decades of wargaming. Unless it is the opponents best painted model
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, yeah, not your models, my models! You think I'd just give away secrets on how to make your models win? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Joplin Jr
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
smcshaw wrote:

6) I'm not a painter and I was a little nervous about building the figures. I shouldn't have been. Spending the time constructing has been almost as enjoyable as playing the game and part of the reason I've ordered more. It's a skill set I never knew I had and time spent is almost meditative. They also look great unpainted though I am considering spending some time to at least learn to airbrush them as statues.

Hope this helps a little.

This exactly. I was extremely hesitant about starting the mini builds. Bought some Warhammer 40K guys to practice on, but once I started, I Loved it. I didn't think I would enjoy it at all. I had never done it before at all, and thought it would be just a tedious necessity, but I am loving it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burkett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slaaneth wrote:
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Slaaneth wrote:

I’ve never seen that effect in over 2 decades of wargaming. Unless it is the opponents best painted model

I just want to add to this point. Beware of the Necromunda Curse. The Necromunda Curse means the character will die on the very next battle/hunt after you change models to better represent the gear on the character.

Don't change models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lillumultipass wrote:
H

There's a few web-based apps; KDM manager is the one I personally prefer.
The book keeping isn't really a problem - any additional load due to lack of players is kind of made up for by you being the only player. When playing solo I tend to do a bunch of lantern years at a time, record things during the session via the easiest means available (spare dice usually) then update the character and settlement sheets at the end of the session.
Quote:

It's quite easy to have players drop in and out. There's not really anything to spoil as such; I guess there's some novelty value to facing a monster you've never fought before, but it'll take a fair few encounters before you really 'know' a given monster.
Quote:

3. How long is the setup ? Also, it is easy to "save" the game within a lantern ?

Depending on how it's stored setup isn't usually that long - if you keep your current settlement and gear cards separate the setup time is literally however long it takes you to set the board up and pull the cards and models.
In terms of saving the game, there's a natural point between returning from the hunt and getting ready to depart for the next one. Really though it's possible to stop at any point outside of the actual hunt (i.e. the bit where you're moving models around) providing you note which phase you're at (you can just write the phase at the top of the settlement sheet so you know where to pick up from next time).
Quote:

Nope. If you haven't played before most of the changes won't be particularly relevant - they're largely rules tweaks and some balance changes
Quote:
the Core game was a bit repetitive with only 7 monsters and expansions were necessary. Is it a common view ?

Yep. With only the core game you've basically got three monsters, three mini-boss fights and two main boss fights. Rinse and repeat. Although that said there's a lot of variety in those monsters and of course no two campaigns are ever going to be the same. I guess it's more a lack of variety than repetitiveness as such - for around half the campaign you'll likely be choosing between the lion or antelope as your quarry; it's nice to be able to chuck in another monster or two just for a bit of variety if nothing else.
So when it comes to expansions my priority would be on an early game quarry like the Gorm or Flower Knight to help break up that initial decade a bit. After that it's kind of up to you to decide what you need; some players want even more variety in the early game, some want to try up a different campaign, some just want to replace the Kings Man. Best bet is to read up on what the expansions add and pick one depending on what you think you need.
Quote:

It's not mandatory, but it's pretty easy to get them to look good with minimum effort. There's some guides on YouTube or around this forum; I'd suggest checking some of the monochrome schemes if you want something that's simple to pull off with minimal time/effort involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.