Elder Sign» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Filippos T.
Greece
Volos
flag msg tools
I just bought the Core game plus the OOTD expansion and since i noticed that the game has quite a number of erratas i wanted to make sure i got everything right.So here are my 2 questions:
1. I read somewhere that the entrance card of the core game should not include the option to purchase elder signs is this true?
2. Playing only with core game you must spend an entire action to buy stuff at the entrance but in the different Omens expansions that is not true, you can buy stuff even if you fail/pass an adventure at the start of your clock phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You can purchase elder signs at the entrance. Some people house rule this out because they either feel the game is too easy or that buying signs is anticlimactic. If you buy the Unseen Forces expansion though, then you get a new entrance where the ability of buying elder signs has been effectively replaced by the option of buying blessings.

2. Omens basically change (replace) large portions of the vanilla games completely, including the way the entrance works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Noch gibt es dies Land nur im Geiste, doch stehen wir wachsam bereit. Am Feuer erklingen die Lieder für eine bessere Zeit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi and welcome

k00l wrote:
1. I read somewhere that the entrance card of the core game should not include the option to purchase elder signs is this true?

Nope. Not being able to purchase Elder Sign at the Entrance when playing with the core game (in OotD that Entrance is not used) is just a suggested houserule to make the game a bit more difficult (after a few plays, you'll see how the core set plots on the easier side of the spectrum)

k00l wrote:
2. Playing only with core game you must spend an entire action to buy stuff at the entrance but in the different Omens expansions that is not true, you can buy stuff even if you fail/pass an adventure at the start of your clock phase?

The timing and ways to use the Entrance are expansion-related. In the core game you need to spend your Resolution Phase on the Entrance to resolve any of its effects, while in the Omens series you need to be on the Entrance at the beginning of the clock phase. Also please note that while in the core game you can buy stuff only for yourself, in the Omens series you can buy stuff for ANY investigator in the game (thus, yourself or any one of your buddies).

Also please note that if you fail an adventure, you cannot be on the Entrance at the beginning of the clock phase: once you fail an adventure, you stay there until the beginning of your next Movement Phase
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filippos T.
Greece
Volos
flag msg tools
Wow thanks so much both of you for your light speed replies .. I have not played the game yet so i guess i will figure out more stuff on the process.
Thanks a lot again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filippos T.
Greece
Volos
flag msg tools
Just one more thing i came up with...Is it normal for adventure cards to have the "add doom symbol" on their reward box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course. We don't judge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Noch gibt es dies Land nur im Geiste, doch stehen wir wachsam bereit. Am Feuer erklingen die Lieder für eine bessere Zeit.
mbmbmbmbmb
k00l wrote:
Just one more thing i came up with...Is it normal for adventure cards to have the "add doom symbol" on their reward box?

Some of these (if not all) received an errata. Could you post a list, so that I can cross-check?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
k00l wrote:

Some of these (if not all) received an errata. Could you post a list, so that I can cross-check?

Ok, I just checked on my db of cards. There are no cards in the core set providing doom as reward, so, disregard those symbols when playing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
k00l wrote:

Ok, I just checked on my db of cards. There are no cards in the core set providing doom as reward, so, disregard those symbols when playing

There certainly are in the app version. Lots of painful differences. We love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filippos T.
Greece
Volos
flag msg tools
The Elder Sign adventure card has a doom symbol as a reward

Also many Other World Adventure cards have it Plateu of Leng, The Abyss etc.

Now should i just ignore it? or instead treat as a remove doom symbol?

I ask this because in the app version of the game these cards do remove doom.

Also i take it that the errata was applied for some time now..pity that the version i just bought today does not have them as they should be..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game does not need anything that makes it easier. Play the cards as shown, if it shows a Doom reward, add a doom token.

As the rules used to say, sometimes bad things happen to good people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
k00l wrote:
The Elder Sign adventure card has a doom symbol as a reward

Also many Other World Adventure cards have it Plateu of Leng, The Abyss etc.

Now should i just ignore it? or instead treat as a remove doom symbol?

I ask this because in the app version of the game these cards do remove doom.

Also i take it that the errata was applied for some time now..pity that the version i just bought today does not have them as they should be..

Those cards received a Errata, if you bought Unseen Forces those cards would be there in the new version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Fernando said. Please guys post only if you know the correct answer otherwise you'll just add to the new user's confusion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
k00l wrote:

There is no any mentions of errata with just base game (no any official documents exists). In my opinion you must change those cards only if you have Unseen Forces, its some sort of a balance tweek, if you play with UF. If you have just base game - play it as writen in the rules, so, doom token reward is a doom token reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daimond wrote:
There is no any mentions of errata with just base game (no any official documents exists). In my opinion you must change those cards only if you have Unseen Forces, its some sort of a balance tweek, if you play with UF. If you have just base game - play it as writen in the rules, so, doom token reward is a doom token reward.

This keeps coming up from time to time. By the same logic, you should still play with doom rewarding OWs when you play with Gates, Alaska, Pacific Ocean or Egypt, and I can assure you that none of these games has been balanced or tested with OWs offering extra doomers as reward.

I think this was also asked to Dane and we got it official (i.e. always use replacements); however, if there's a disagreement on the matter, I can ask Dane again and then share the answer with the community
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Daimond wrote:

This keeps coming up from time to time. By the same logic, you should still play with doom rewarding OWs when you play with Gates, Alaska, Pacific Ocean or Egypt, and I can assure you that none of these games has been balanced or tested with OWs offering extra doomers as reward.

I think this was also asked to Dane and we got it official (i.e. always use replacements); however, if there's a disagreement on the matter, I can ask Dane again and then share the answer with the community
This will be really good, Julia, and clear that thing up.Thx again for you support for this game, you are worried about it much more then FFG itself, you are just great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gimme a few days of break (celebrating being Geek of the Week and I have a rulebook to edit due to Saturday), then I'll mail Dane and investigate on the whole replacement issue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Answer gotten and posted (for greater visibility) here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
The game does not need anything that makes it easier. Play the cards as shown, if it shows a Doom reward, add a doom token.

As the rules used to say, sometimes bad things happen to good people.

Yes! The game is easy if you make it easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.