Subject: Re-Entry Buying Advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bert Nerdsen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After quite some time, I play the game again. Now I'm willing to add some more cards but I'm confused by the publication cycling. Maybe you can help me out?

So far I own the core game once and each of the deluxe expansions. Initially I wanted to pick up another copy of the core game and one or two cycles. What do you recommend regarding the release of the core game 2.0?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
First two cycles are "out" in terms of competitive play. Core 2.0 have cards that are in Core 1.0 and some cards from these first two cycles. Core 2.0 doesn't have any new rules or so, but the card distribution is different from 1.0, so they won't be compatible, card-wise.

As such, you can either:
- sell your core 1.0 and get core 2.0, to get some new cards (but also lose some, that were in core 1.0 but are not in 2.0).
- get core 2.0 on top of 1.0. More variety, but keep in mind that some cards got their art changed, so you might end up with multiple copies of the same card, but some of these copies will have different artwork. Also, you will be paying additional money for components you already have (tokens, etc.)
- just buy some cycles. Whether you want to buy first two is probably depending on your decision on competitive play. If you don't intend to, you might as well get them too. Otherwise pick whatever cycle you like and just go with it.
- cherry pick particular packs from multiple cycles - there's no "right" advice here (other than getting it all, of course).
- complete your deluxe expansions collection. Do you have all of them, including Terminal Directive? If not, start with this route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Nerdsen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so far, some follow-up questions arise:

1. I remember there to be some ("standard") cards in the core game that were needed twice or three times to set up some combos, but where only included once or twice. That's why I felt the urge to buy a 2nd core set (but never did). I don't remember those card's names (but I'm sure you know those cards). Are those included with the core 2.0?

2. Is there any agreement in the community if (a) the cycles becoming reworked are indeed out of balance and needed a re-edition or (b) the whole 2.0 stunt thing is a money-printing-machine?

3. Is it known if the 2.0 edition will make the deluxe expansions obsolete as well sooner or later?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bert_nerdsen wrote:

1. I remember there to be some ("standard") cards in the core game that were needed twice or three times to set up some combos, but where only included once or twice. That's why I felt the urge to buy a 2nd core set (but never did). I don't remember those card's names (but I'm sure you know those cards). Are those included with the core 2.0?

2. Is there any agreement in the community if (a) the cycles becoming reworked are indeed out of balance and needed a re-edition or (b) the whole 2.0 stunt thing is a money-printing-machine?

3. Is it known if the 2.0 edition will make the deluxe expansions obsolete as well sooner or later?

1. The big ones were SanSan, the consoles, Scorched Earth, Account Siphon, and Aesop's Pawnshop. Aesop's is in Core 2.0, but the others aren't. This is actually good news, because it means that those other cards are no longer legal for official play, so you don't have to worry about them. So, it probably is a good idea to get a revised core, because a core 1.0 set will have some weird gaps in it that might or might not be filled by the rest of your collection. (Notably, Corroder, Yog.0 and Ninja have also been retired, so your icebreaker selection will be kind of limited if you're not playing Shaper)

2. "Out of balance" might be a little strong, but there is near-universal agreement that the revision is a substantial improvement. Some of the older cards, while balanced enough, were holding back the design space. (the classic example is Yog, whose existence meant that every time they designed a small code gate, they had to ask "is it balanced against the normal decoders" and "is it balanced against this other completely different decoder"?)

3. There is no indication that they'll retire the deluxes (which is not to say it's impossible, and a few people have speculated about the idea, but it seems pretty far-fetched)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
bert_nerdsen wrote:

No. Core 2.0 have somewhat different set of cards. But there also are cards with 1 copy only in 2.0, so to get 3 of them, you'll need 3 cores - nothing really changed in this regard.

bert_nerdsen wrote:

It's neither a or b, really. Cycles aren't reworked. The core is reworked and it's pulling some cards from first two cycles, to "save" them for competitive play, as they would be rotated out normally (cycles rotate, coreset doesn't). That doesn't mean that first two cycles were "bad", although they had some cards that were holding off the design space. But it's entirely possible that we will see new incarnations of these cards (as well as cards lost from Core 1.0 that did not appear in 2.0) in new cycles - they might have similar effects, but tuned/balanced.

In other words, things are looking good and some shakeups were necessary for the long run.

Quote:

It's not the 2.0 edition that would be a "threat" to them, but rather the rotation strategy. As it is 2.0 has nothing to do with other deluxes. It's unlikely that they would rotate out deluxes, but until recently we were sure coreset wouldn't rotate either. But with 2.0 it kind of both rotated and didn't rotate (coreset is still there and it's not rotating, but, "a trick" made it consist of different cards now). Such trick could as well be applied later on in deluxes, but I wouldn't worry about that for any foreseeable future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a Core 2.0 set. Go through your Core 1.0 and take out the retired cards. That should get you in pretty good shape. It’s possible there are specific card packs to cherry pick, but I imagine the designers are working hard to create balance. This isn’t a CCG, with strong, rare cards.

Instead, my suggestion would be do just the above to begin with. Play with that awhile. You can build virtual decks on netrunnerdb.com. If you want to expand, build some new decks there. Then buy the packs you need to make those decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Nerdsen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Y'all some great chaps around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the same boat. I bought a 2.0 core set and have all the deluxe expansions. I may pick up Terminal Directive and the odd recent data pak.

I've got to get a few more games under my belt, but it looks like most of the changes are a step in the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
CHF_90265 wrote:
Get a Core 2.0 set. Go through your Core 1.0 and take out the retired cards. That should get you in pretty good shape.

This would be my suggestion too. For cycles just go with the most recent, unless forums show strong dislike for a lot of cards. Then you'll just have to cherry-pick packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.