Pippo Munchkin
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello folks,

I'm sure I am missing something with the following rule, from the Gain Legacy points phase:

"If you're the Emperor, remove any Breakaway or Seat of Power markers in
provinces you govern, as your claim has been legitimized"

The question is: how can an Emperor have a breakway or seat of power marker in a province he governs?

The breakway or seat of power markers can only be put on eligible provinces by the pretender and can only be removed by force, when a player invades the provincial capital (of a pretender province) and consequently removes the pretender markers and becomes the new governor (or a neutral one)...

Hope this is clear.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
This covers the situation where you have a Pretender empire but then during your turn you also become governor of Italia, and therefore Emperor. In the gain legacy phase you score for both the Pretender empire and for being Emperor, but once that is done, your Pretender empire ceases to exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hollebeke
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
In the gain legacy phase you score for both the Pretender empire and for being Emperor, but once that is done, your Pretender empire ceases to exist.

Why would you score for both? I think you are either a pretender or an emperor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Billtje wrote:
qwertymartin wrote:
In the gain legacy phase you score for both the Pretender empire and for being Emperor, but once that is done, your Pretender empire ceases to exist.

You score for both because that is what it says to do in the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Ferrell
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Billtje wrote:
qwertymartin wrote:

You do score for both. A Pretender is someone is governs a province with a Seat of Power marker and a Emperor is someone who governs Italia. As Martin noted both cases can be true for a player so you score for both, but then remove the Seat of Power/Breakaway markers as you are no longer a Pretender, but the rightful Emperor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at it this way - the double dipping is just for one turn and represents the people expressing their gratitude for removing the prior evil Emperor. It also acts as an incentive to displace the current Emperor rather than just sitting back and banking Pretender Legacy ( assuming there isn't more than one Pretender ) .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hollebeke
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick clarifications.

I know that if you follow the rules in 6.6 strictly you score both but I naturally assumed (my mistake, I should not make assumptions ) that being the emperor means you are no longer the pretender.

I am not a native English speaker but I interpret that aiming to become something and actually being it are two mutually exclusive states. Except maybe when you would put the old emperor in a closed box with a vial of poison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.