10 Posts

Charterstone» Forums » Rules

Subject: Playing action without claiming benefit? (Particularly reputation) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Holmes
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi, we are midway through our first game and pausing because people need to leave (torturous!), and i was just wondering if you are able to claim an action if you cannot gain the benefit?

I understand you cannot play an action if you dont have the money, influence, resources, etc. but could you play, for example, the Grandstand for the victory points even if you didnt have enough influence left to put a marker on the reputation track? Or even if you did have enough but wanted to save it for other actions, is it optional?

ALSO- i’m a bit confused about what’s going to happen at the end of game 1- after we reach the end of the progress track, we add up the scores- then what? Do we need to write anything down for the overall campaign winner? I cant really see another avenue for opening up another segway into Game 2- an i missing something?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Ward
United States
Newport News
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most things, the benefits are optional. The grandstand is an exception, because you’re proclaiming that you have one of each resource (or whatever)so you HAVE to put an influence token on that card to proceed and get points.

Putting a token on the reputation track is always optional though.

You should have card 16 hanging out on the board to lead you through the “end of game 1” actions. Follow the instructions precisely, and you’ be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Holmes
Australia
flag msg tools
Excellent, thanks for that. Busting to finish this first game!

Also SPOILER
We unlocked Items- to claim the benefit, do you just need to have the resources and the item card or do you need to put a worker somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
VanderlayIndustries wrote:
Excellent, thanks for that. Busting to finish this first game!

Also SPOILER
We unlocked Items- to claim the benefit, do you just need to have the resources and the item card or do you need to put a worker somewhere?

From Rule 12: When an item is completed on your turn, pay the resources to the general supply, gain the benefit shown on the upper-right of the item card, then discard the card.

It must be during your turn, but no worker is required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Helvard
Denmark
Aarhus C
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You unlocked Items in game 1?

We got them at game 5 or 6 😀

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Krylov
Bulgaria
Sofia
Sofia-grad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But is this counts as an action or you can still place a worker on map after activate item?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not an action. So on your turn you'll still place a worker or retrieve all workers, and sometime during your turn you can complete the item order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jackson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to double check something: If you are due to gain a benefit from a building you can choose to only take part of it. Is the same true for everything else? Like items?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg: Yes, it's true for everything, though I'll post an important disclaimer from the FAQ:

Zeppelin, Charterstone, Grandstand, and Cloud Port (or any other building focused on constructing buildings, unlocking crates, and scoring objectives): Part of the requirements for using these types of buildings are (respectively) to have/use an unconstructed building card, to have/use a constructed building card, and to have currently achieved an unscored objective. You cannot, for example, use the Zeppelin during the campaign to pay any 4 resources and gain 5 VP–you must actually construct a building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jackson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Might seem odd but I had reason to not want to get part of the benefit for completing an item. Wouldn't have helped me win the campaign but it would narrow the gap a little

jameystegmaier wrote:
Greg: Yes, it's true for everything, though I'll post an important disclaimer from the FAQ:

Zeppelin, Charterstone, Grandstand, and Cloud Port (or any other building focused on constructing buildings, unlocking crates, and scoring objectives): Part of the requirements for using these types of buildings are (respectively) to have/use an unconstructed building card, to have/use a constructed building card, and to have currently achieved an unscored objective. You cannot, for example, use the Zeppelin during the campaign to pay any 4 resources and gain 5 VP–you must actually construct a building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.