Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Fenerty
United Kingdom
Southport
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, Junior meomwt #2 shelled out some of his Christmas money to buy Charterstone last week, and already we've played two games. Here's how things went.

Initial Set-up
This wasn't a smash hit, as the sheer number of stickers to read, remove and place resulted in a minor info-overload, especially for the Junior meomwts. The whole process seemed to take an hour (Jamey Stegmaier kindly told me that it should be 10-15 minutes, but it took far longer for us). The story on the cards was good, but seemed to take second place to the mechanics presented as well, this lost a little atmosphere.

Game One
So, with the initial stickers placed and workers in hand, we all headed into the business of building up the town. The Junior meomwts were enthused by placing buildings and opening crates, whilst Mrs meomwt and I built up a coin reserve to claim the 6 Coins objective. We then set off buying assistants and opening our own crates.

As a result of significant building over in the Forest Region, Junior meomwt #1 ran out of influence tokens. This meant that he was driving us towards the end of the game (but he got VP for that, so he was happy!). In the end, Mrs meomwt took first place, with the rest of us all within a few points (but getting one Glory Star less each as well). I took sufficient coins into Game Two, purposefully for a reason...

Game Two
I'd intended to make building a crate my final turn of Game One, but opened the Index and found it would introduce a new Rule. Deciding that after two hours of set-up plus game it wouldn't go down well, I gave it a swerve. Set-up for Game Two was smooth and painless, and in no time we were placing meeples. My first play was to collect resources to score an objective, then open the delayed crate and reveal a new Rule. Mrs meomwt came across a new Rule, too, which scared her at first, but she seems to have recovered since.

Once again, Junior meomwt #1 ran out of influence tokens earlier than the rest of us would have liked, most of them were on the Reputation Track (plus another on an Objective). Junior meomwt #2 had managed to place lots of new buildings in his Charter and was happy with the way he was developing, and I don't think he's scored an Objective yet!

Mrs meomwt - to her disbelief - won her second game, helped by having enough on the Reputation Track to peg back Junior meomwt #1 (who'd taken an early lead) and win by a couple of points.

The new rules about what can be carried from game to game have resulted in some heart-rending decisions!

We've had two games and they have been a blast. I'm just wondering what's in store come Game Three...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fraser
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos on delivering a spoiler-free review that captures your enjoyment of the game as well as surprise! My wife and I are going to be starting our Charterstone campaign this weekend, and this review successfully has whetted our appetite!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.