Subject: Random thoughts. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m thinking of buying For the People, so I can use the elite regiment counters, can’t see a downside? It’d also get a few more CSA 3 markers. Was thinking of using a special action card to play the elite regiment, but one use per game.

Leaning towards a house rule that gives 2sp reinforcement in St Louis each winter, a nudge to help the Union.

Allow use of a special action card to provide 3 points of training.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, it hadn’t occurred to me to modify the card usage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb

a card stockpile helps the rebs move north. Have heard many people say the rebs must make some offensive moves to keep the yanks off balance.

forced march, +2 battle, supply...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I view the +2 as a necessity to counter being entrenched, and if you aren’t entrenched you should be.

I wouldn’t do it, but given that it’s an ap to entrench and get +2 on defence, I don’t see why you couldn’t play an ap to provide +2 on offence.

If you go that route, long term you’ll see less manoeuvre, so you’d need to counter that. Storing 2ap instead of cards at the normal draw would help, and then gaining an ap when it’s tied for iniative...probs would do the job.

Given cards can only be used in certain areas, I’d have a caveat on the additional ap. Can only be used for named leader use etc. (As opposed to the generic 3sp general).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've only played the basic game, but with the cards, it seems much too easy for the North to invade Southern Ports.

Are you are playing with the August 2017 Rules restriction that no more than 3 SP can use Ocean Transport/AA per Action Phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s reasonable to get 1 or 2 sp per coastal fort, a few you can leave as they don’t provide good offensive routes. 2sp in a Fort will really need a 3sp amphib plus card to have a decent chance. Even the 1sp will do okay, can’t leave them undefended though, that’s just asking for trouble.

I pretty much always defend +2/3 coastal modifiers with 2 sp, can take 3-6 turns to form the line. Don’t forget training at 7 can actually get you 2, maybe 3 sp depending on rolls in the first year and a half. Very helpful.

Jackson arrives about the right time to be given 3 or 4 sp, should most of the time be able to eliminate any building pockets.

As it currently stands I think the sp reinforcement favours CSA marginally. And I’ve played this game an excessive amount.

A downside to multiple little holes, is they can be easily eliminated if chased, hence why Jackson can do the job well. Digging in multiple landed forces via amphibious, or naval plus cards for +2...is just a vast amount of resource, you won’t be doing much elsewhere as Union.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games I play I can keep relative parity of force as CSA versus Union, equal special cards, equal activations, better generals...it’s tough for the Union to make headway. I used to think it was more level, but even with the changes to rules I don’t believe it is (in fact I think less activations early hurts Union more)

I keep thinking the additional 2sp in winter just might swing it back a little to Union. Games I play do not reflect the historical manpower advantage that Union attained relatively early in the war.

All that said, it’s harder to play CSA if you haven’t played the game a lot, so I think it should be an optional rule. Otherwise you could just get buried through inexperience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the optional Salt rule. It can have more of an adverse affect on the Confederate side than most realize. It is the first place I would recommend going to give a little more back to the Union.

It should also be noted that some of the best Confederate players I have seen still believe the game slightly favors the Union.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Jim, yes I am. I've played only 6 games or so, going on my 7th. But it's not so much the amount of SPs that are being brought, but the fact that the Union can punch so MANY little holes in the coasts that it becomes very difficult to deal with them all. I admit, my sample size is rather small, but it appears to be awfully easy to get Union troops into multiple ports especially if the Union gets the right cards.

Many little holes is historical. Nearly all of the Blockade Runner ports fell by the end of 1862.

I find that unless the Union player hits early in a turn and reinforces by Ocean Transport each action phase thereafter during that turn, the Confederate player will usually be able to bottle up the Union incursion.

A couple of things to remember are that stacking in Coastal Forts is limited to 3 SP (easily forgotten) and it is handy as the Confederate player to have your Training siting up at 5 or 6 in order to quickly deploy a reserve in response to an incursion.

Other things to keep in mind are building a fort at Algiers (across from New Orleans) and garrisoning Proctorville. Also, keep an eye on Georgetown. Building a fort there (it is full supply since it is adjacent to a rail hex) or garrisoning it with an SP can be helpful.

Also, it is hard for the Union to get very far from either New Bern or Port Royal.

IMO, the greatest Confederate weakness from the sea is Brownsville. I don't have a good defense for it and when it falls it usually undermines the viability of a Galveston defense of Texas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Morehouse
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The north needs no help, only patience and a little common sense.
I have played and finished 13 campaign games against 3 different players. won 6 as the USA won 5 as the CSA and lost one game each as the USA/CSA (the USA loss still haunts me)

It takes the patience not to lose Washington early to a Lee/Jackson/Longstreet/cav leader army and commen scene to keep taking resource hexes without overdoing it.

I have been able to take the all of the north and south Atlantic blockage ports by turn 7 ( and half of the gulf) albeit by a small margin. I think I was + 4 vps at that time. The game can does reflect the historical possibilities of the time.

If the CSA over committed to its costal defense they will be over whelmed form direct assault by the easiest route Washington to Richmond. All the northern player has to do is count up the total number of CSA units not (repeat not at the front not fighting not doing anything) and “hit the south where they ain’t” Patton really was genius.

The Aaconda Plan was critical in the real game (i.e. the civil war) as it is critical in this game. It is the reason the south never had a chance and should not be allowed a chance. A nation with out a navy and no possibility of building one is seriously you know what “d.

The south has just as many holes as the north and fewer ways to plug them making out another net loss. The damage one sp and amphibious capacity can do is staggering over time. Players to often will find the reasons to not do things because that is the easier way, successful player figure out ways to do what needs to be done and the most efficient way to complete the operation.

Yes, the CSA needs the extra forts on the Mississippi to delay the USA in the West/TM but the USA does not need the Mississippi to win. It does need the easy Trans-Mississippi resources points and it needs to take them efficiently.

Just keep hitting the CSA where they are not, make the CSA chase you.

I will also mention that the CSA Resource hex’s do not have inherent 0 sp defensive units as do the north and this is a huge difference. Once the USA gets Washington it’s lvl 3 fort with 9 sp and a minimum +2 leader it no longer needs a army in it. That’s a plus 8 drm on a five or more the CSA loss of three and auto demoralized. If the five DR on defense is to risky (89% of success) on 2 dice leave two leaders with a combined +3 for a drm (92%)(total of + 9 (it is Washington after all) a fort and a few sp’s in Harrisburg and Pittsburgh limit the CSA cav from easy raids and help against the CSA turn 6/7/8 death blow. Any drive north as the CSA during this critical period will face a Washington that can not be taken in less the three turns because on the 9 sp combat chart the 3 loss for either attacker-defender reguardless of winner loser demoralized Lee’s army:

DR of 4 or more on the 9 sp table is +3 2 leaders +6 fort 13= 3 sp loss
DR of 4 on the 13 sp table +9 yields only a 2 sp loss & no demoralized

As with all there is risk assume the Army of North Virginia (ANV) is 18 w +6 to +8 an average DR of 7 yields 15 on the 17 table that is a tie & not good

The Army of the Potomac is not even in Washington it slames the ANV the impulse/activation after lee hits Washington when Lee is Demoralized or it does not even bother. But the temptation put the ANV out of supply or even limited supply then to give the DM”d army another DM result and a possible combined loss 6 to 8 sps (3 or so from Washington lose and and additional 4 eg 3 plus one for say a tied battle while in limited supply or even better OOS gives an additional loss for a grand total of seven sp’s over two impulses (Medic!!!)

I have watched the USA lose as early as turn 4 and it is easy to stop as the USA.

It is to say the least a great game and rewards sound strategic/operational play. I realize that most of my stated examples are over simplified and they are but a few examples of the game not needing to give any help to the north. In fact it is almost impossible to give the USA its historical advantages because they were so staggering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark

Coralville
Iowa
msg tools
mbmb
milrevko wrote:

Yes, the CSA needs the extra forts on the Mississippi to delay the USA in the West/TM but the USA does not need the Mississippi to win. It does need the easy Trans-Mississippi resources point and it needs to take them efficiently.

Yeah. I think the Trans-Miss is key for the Union, if for nothing else, for the points. And the blockade. Need to have a lot of the ports blockaded by mid-game (1863 or so).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Morehouse
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah. I think the Trans-Miss is key for the Union, if for nothing else, for the points. And the blockade. Need to have a lot of the ports blockaded by mid-game (1863 or so). [/q]

True that!

I did not mention that the key is to go into the Trans-Miss form the top and the bottom. Thus pulling the CSA opposite directions with its limited activations and most importantly the limited sp’s:

CSA reinforcements TM=1 per turn or 4 per year with no extra work but in realty the CSA will need to river in a minimum of 1 sp extra per tun to match the USA’s 2 sp reinforcements from St Louis (easiest solution) plus what ever sea transportation in to the Texas or Louisiana ports. Even if only two sp’s come in per turn in the southern ports the inblance grows +2 every turn not counting operational losses that outnumbering the opponent will inflict thus magnifying the CSA losses.

Imagine a which’s cauldron with gasses bubbling from the mix and the USA grinning as the hag tosses in more and more CSA strength points and activations ... ouch

But the Trans Mississippi is not all fun and roses. The last CSA player used my own play of cutting supply and maneuvering against me with a vengeance and damn near stymied my game. In fact that game went to turn 17 or 18 the longest game in turns yet.

The TM IS only second to the Nashville-Decatur-Alanta quagmire of starvation. The CSA should be able to cut the USA supply almost at will and that’s with the USA not making mistakes and believe me I messed up. Over confidence combined with stupidity then toss some desperation compounded with more desperation nearly ost me the game. Not from direct losses but from the north’s true killer lack of activations.

That’s crucial part of the efficient reduction of Trans Miss from top and bottom methodically efficiently with out mercy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.