Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
Air Force almost ready to start testing airborne "carriers" of small drones.

http://www.businessinsider.com/air-force-could-test-flying-a...

On one hand, getting our people out of harms way is a good thing, but if the "cost" of killing your enemies gets cheap enough, do we risk making killing decisions too lightly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I posted this on the forum a few weeks ago, too lazy to dig it up now, but the trend of warfare is leaning toward drone technology. The article I read indicated they would use this drone technology to potentially desttroy NK missile launch sites. They are small enough to be fairly stealthy, and might bring an element of surprise that larger attack aircraft cannot obviously achieve. This combined with the possibility of launching missiles from C130s that can jam (or destroy) their missile guidance systems, which are all electronic. Interesting indeed, this will save lives from being risked ON a battlefield, but it opens a whole new realm of warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Robinson
United Kingdom
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we have gone to far in the other direction for far too long, Governments terrified of doing anything for fear of casualties, The last couple of years of British involvement in Iraq under Gordon Brown is a perfect example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hankins
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
On one hand, getting our people out of harms way is a good thing, but if the "cost" of killing your enemies gets cheap enough, do we risk making killing decisions too lightly?

I'm not too worried about warfare becoming a bit cheaper (it's not as if the expense has done a lot to put people off the idea).

I'm more concerned with cost of life. While there have been some very well-documented cases of drones killing the wrong people, they still compare very favourable to other kinds of distance killing (e.g. high altitude air strikes). If drone technology helps us move away from more conventional but less precise means of warfare, then it will be an overall good thing.

It would also be good if nations were less quick to engage in warfare but, if we're going to have a war, we should probably make use of modern technology to make it cheap, effective and to do what we can to focus as much of the violence against the intended targets as is possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:

Even more alarming, the rise of drones for law enforcement.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5045615/Drone...

The privacy issues alone are worrying.

And let's not forget Dallas and what happened there. https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/07/08/485262777...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wight1984 wrote:
I'm not too worried about warfare becoming a bit cheaper (it's not as if the expense has done a lot to put people off the idea).

I'm more concerned with cost of life. While there have been some very well-documented cases of drones killing the wrong people, they still compare very favourable to other kinds of distance killing (e.g. high altitude air strikes). If drone technology helps us move away from more conventional but less precise means of warfare, then it will be an overall good thing.

It would also be good if nations were less quick to engage in warfare but, if we're going to have a war, we should probably make use of modern technology to make it cheap, effective and to do what we can to focus as much of the violence against the intended targets as is possible.
And that cost is what I was alluding to with my "". My worry is that the decision to kill people extra-judicially becomes even easier when the cost in resources and people is so low that due process is seen as prohibitively expensive in comparison. Better safe than sorry becomes a phrase heard too often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
jon7167 wrote:
I think we have gone to far in the other direction for far too long, Governments terrified of doing anything for fear of casualties, The last couple of years of British involvement in Iraq under Gordon Brown is a perfect example.

Avoiding casualties isn't a bad thing, regardless of whether or not your motivation is actual regard for human life or, in the case of politicians, regard for popularity polling (but of course the former is preferred, and anyone doing it for the latter needs to end up against a wall).

The problem is that the favoured solution seems not to be "don't start a war" but rather "start any war you want, but find a way to prosecute it with machines instead of people". Regard for human life never comes into it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
Even more alarming, the rise of drones for law enforcement.

Everything is going to be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hankins
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This video presents a drone-based fictional scenario:

I'm not sure that I agree with the message but it seemed like it might be of interest to a few people on the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Wight1984 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CO6M2HsoIA

I'm not sure that I agree with the message but it seemed like it might be of interest to a few people on the thread.

Looks like part of a Black Mirror episode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wight1984 wrote:

So...by sharing this video, are you advocating for or against Roko's Basilisk?

I'm unclear on that. If you could clearly and unambiguously respond with a 'for' or 'against', that'd be great. I'll make sure to note your clear response for reasons our many, varied, and surely safe and happy future correspondences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:

Unfortunately, I think you have a tense error here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hankins
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
So...by sharing this video, are you advocating for or against Roko's Basilisk?

I don't know that I was advocating for or against anything when posting the video, but I can say that I feel like I made the correct final choice when playing Paperclip Maxmizer (Warning: Link is to a (atypically clever and interesting) clicker game that may eat your entire day if you start playing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.