Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Waffler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Poll: Unspeakable Oath True Solo Plays
How many times did you have to play Unspeakable Oath True Solo to finally get out of the asylum?

I have found it is extremely hard to play True Solo, compared to 2 handed. And had quite the trouble getting out and was wondering how other peoples experiences where. So I just kept restarting the scenario over and over again to see if I "could" beat it. I was wondering if anyone else had this experience, and how they faired. It just seems so extremely hard in True Solo, I just kept running out of time, over and over. Never even close to dieing.
How many times did you have to play Unspeakable Oath True Solo to finally get out of the asylum?
Won of the 1st time True Solo
Won on the 2nd time True Solo
Won on the 3rd time True Solo
Won on the 4th time True Solo
Won on the 5th time True Solo
6 or more times trying...
Lost on the first time True Solo and didn't replay it
Tried 2 or more times, but have never won it True Solo
      38 answers
Poll created by monorico

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Waffler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I am curious if you did win the first time, what investigator did you play? Did you use the updated FAQ rules where the confinement cells no longer have the Arkham Asylum keyword?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear, Doc Savage is here!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed it with Minh (twice ran out of time, once defeated with Horror) fourth time,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
made it over the wall with Chesterfield in tow, with one doom left to go on the third agenda, it probably wouldn't have been so close if I hadn't gone after the Man in the Pallid Mask, who was on the way out..sort of, in the kitchen,
I think it's best with an investigator that has an even spread of health and horror. I tried it with Mark, but his Horror just doesn't hold up long enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game of every scenario is a 3p with my two daughters so by the time I get to my true solo campaigns, I'm familiar with the scenario.

With that, I'm playing two true solo campaigns - William Yorick and Jenny Barnes. William lost handily. I replayed him only to see him fail again. I resigned his fate and moved to Jenny. Thanks to Elusive and already defeating the big baddie (Jordan?), she was able to barely squeek away with a round or two left.

And I was one of those dufus' who didn't read thoroughly so I paid clues to enter the cells. Of course, now I learned that my misread was actually played as intended

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Waffler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
My 5 times playing was with Yorik. But I don't feel like I had a bad deck with him, I think I had a pretty good deck.

I always could investigate when I needed to, I could kill every enemy that hit me. I could set up in one turn with "Ever Vigilante". I didn't have to delay or do much other than what was absolutely necessary.

And I just kept running out of time. Fail couple of tests, and time would run out. My 5th time running I had finally figured out an optimized way to run the scenario. And even then, took a little bit of luck with succeeding at skill tests and some encounter cards. And I only finished with 1 turn left...
My 4th time running, everything went wrong, failed a lot of tests and got bad encounter cards...
Every other time though, I would think was very good, succeeded most tests, didn't waste much time. Got clues, just always, always, not enough time to finish everything it requires you to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loki Mackay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of like the poster above, I play each scenario two or three handed first, so by the time I get to my solo campaign (New Jenny from the novel) I’ve got a reasonable understanding of what she needs to do.

That said, she won first time but using the rule as written so not paying to enter the asylum cells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
jjacjackson wrote:
And I was one of those dufus' who didn't read thoroughly so I paid clues to enter the cells. Of course, now I learned that my misread was actually played as intended

You actually played correctly the first time. It's had an erratum -- the cells are no longer arkham asylum locations, and were always intended to require you to spend a clue to enter. It's in the latest faq.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamish Buchanan
msg tools
Lost on my first attempt as William, mainly due to the flood of monsters. Took the loss and moved on. Switched to my Ashcan campaign (I always have multiple campaigns on the go) and won pretty comfortably. This was with the pre-errata rules but I had a few turns still up my sleeve, and the way Pete combines moving and investigating I don’t think it would have made much difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom cap
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Yorick also got cornered and slaughtered the only time I played this scenario.

I'm a casual player and Carcosa has felt so weird compared to Dunwich so far that I even kinda lost interest in the game and hardly played since.

I'm still considering buying the whole cycle to complete my collection, but I'll be probing around and gather info regarding fun and difficulty before I buy a future cycle.

The thing is I'm worried this could become a game for hardcore dedicated gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Path to Carcosa keeps really mucking around with the game's mechanics; twice I've had to redo scenarios because I'd got the mechanics of them wrong. I wouldn't say it ups the difficulty exactly, but it is more difficult to remember - and I've taken to writing notes as reminders.

It can lead to a lot of uncertainty, though. For example, there are points where it's not clear if adding Doom is a good or bad thing.

I think that's to fit with the theme of madness and distorted reality - which kind of works. I would like it if the next cycle left the basic mechanisms of the game alone a bit more. You can still have story without changing everything.

All that said, it does give Phantom of Truth 2 completely different ways of playing out, which is fascinating. It is like two scenarios for the price of one. And I do like things being changed up a bit - but this feels like it's most scenarios. Unspeakable Oath is the only one that's felt, well, fairly conventional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kuhn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, this scenario hurts so good!

I actually played true solo Jenny Barnes until Unspeakable Oath then she went insane, just simply ran out of time and up to this point in AHLCG, I haven't felt the kind of threat on characters that is present in Unspeakable Oath, which makes me love the game more, but is giving me a huge headache because...

In "true" rpg campaign style, I restarted the campaign with Akachi and quite handedly rolled through the first three scenarios only to come up against the asylum and lose once again. At this point, I said screw you campaign and just treated this scenario as a save point. I have since tried and lost two more times, so i think I may give it one more time and if I don't succeed, do something else.

Teetering between moving on and pretending it never happened or re-rolling a new character and starting them at unspeakable oath. ninja

I've found this scenario to be so difficult for true solo and my success rate in AHLCG up to this point was pretty good, so maybe this is just my kryptonite... hard to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Waffler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I beat it on my 5th time, I found you can't waste anytime really setting up more than is needed, and you still have to get lucky. You should leave madness cards in you hand that you don't have to get rid, wasting actions to get rid of them is bad.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

The best path I found for true solo was starting a riot, right at the beginning, then clearing the mess hall, then going to the basement. And anytime you don't find daniel, you do the other action on the location, so when you do find daniel you can move on and quickly and resign.

Don't kill Daniel unless you can't evade him. It is all about saving time, you can't focus on getting any VPs, if you get some on the way, then good for you.

I started doing that on my 4th run, got really unlucky on that run. 5th run I was barely able to beat it. If I was to run this again, I would put in movement cards just for this scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Pietrzak
Poland
Zgierz
flag msg tools
badge
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve just played this scenario. First attempt was quick loss and I continued playing campaign with new character. Today in 3rd try with among I finally beat it. So it was my fourth attempt after all.

Crazy hard scenario - it even discouraged me to play Carcosa more in the future as losing results in simply restarting campaign from the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Takai
Switzerland
Thun
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm replaying Carcosa, this time with Daisy Walker and Jenny Barnes, and today the girls hit the asylum. Daisy brought Dr. Christopher on her first draw, and Jenny her beloved Chicago Typewriter, Resource Cache and Contraband. Giggles ensue! I struggled to remember the opening sequence and wasted at least a turn, but the agenda had only flipped once when Daisy opened the door to the cell that kept the monster that used to be Daniel. Suddenly the halls are lined with lunatics trying to get the better of me.

A little while later, I had about 5 turns left when arriving in the garden, having made short work of a dozen enemies, hosing them with massive damage from the machine gun. But payed dearly in horror of both my girls and some flesh wounds as well. Now we shuffle the remaining monsters into the encounter deck, three under the act deck already, ouch. Last encounter card draw beckons.

It was a very tight last turn when the investigators drew a monster and another enemy which would have killed both easily if one survived. Also I needed the location to be free of them in order to be able to resign! Such madness and confusion in the last chaos bag draws, but being able to throw every resource and card at it, going out with style!

It's a very cool scenario, but the story is extremely tight, must get a hurry on in this one. The first agenda card could use a doom count one higher to even the scores, I feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zakwas wrote:
Crazy hard scenario - it even discouraged me to play Carcosa more in the future as losing results in simply restarting campaign from the middle.

This is as good a place as any to talk about it--I don't like this aspect of the scenario. I think it's totally fine in solo where obviously there's only the emotions of one person to consider. But if you're playing with, say, three people, it's bad for the campaign dynamic if one investigator dies but the other two make it out. At least, when that's happened in my group it hasn't gone over well.

The players whose investigators survived are excited to continue the campaign. But the person who lost the character they wanted to play and now has to start over with way less XP and a second-choice character is much less excited to proceed, and may not want to continue with the campaign at all.

One thing I like about this game is that if one player has a tough scenario, they can just bounce back in the next one--maybe with a trauma, but that's not such a big deal. I think that's a really attractive feature of this game, and I don't understand why this scenario changed it for the worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.