Popular Tags: [View All]
Niklas Edin
Sweden
Bankeryd
Småland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What the subject says. I’ve read many reviews and quite a few discussions about Scythe but I’m still on the fence. If I buy it I believe that roughly 50% of my games will be 2-player games. I get that 2-player isn’t bad, only that 3+ players seems to be where the game shines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Gonzalez
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play 2 Players and add one Automa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkey007 wrote:
I get that 2-player isn’t bad, only that 3+ players seems to be where the game shines.

I have 20+ games now - most of them 3+ players - and I would confirm it.

But any of these 3+p - games was great :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/themillshow
badge
Me
mbmbmbmbmb
95% of my games are 2-player with my son. It's still a great game. I think we probably see less resource stealing or combat than others, but it does sort of allow you to play out your strategies in relative peace, unless the strategy is to be a warmonger, in which case, it still happens. We have added Automa to one of our games, and enjoyed it. I've also played it solo and enjoyed myself. So I don't think player count should dissuade you. But at least if you prefer that higher player count, the automa has multiple difficulties too. So if you want more challenge you can just choose a tougher Automa too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vestal
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkey007 wrote:
I get that 2-player isn’t bad, only that 3+ players seems to be where the game shines.

I think it'd be helpful (and for similar posts) to clarify what you mean by "improve". A lot of posts on these forms toss out opinions or questions about games being "good", "bad", "flawed", "improved" etc., but to respond to questions or understand the context of opinions, others need to know what the poster considers to be good/bad/etc.

In this case, what aspects are you concerned about that would make the two player game lackluster? Not enough interaction, not enough competition for spaces, too much emphasis on blocking in head-to-head games compared to multiplayer games?

The Invaders from Afar expansion, I'd say, would be unlikely to change your experience as the core gameplay all remains the same.

The Wind Gambit introduces new units, which could potentially alleviate specific concerns about the 2-player game.

Not specific to expansions, the designer has stated part of the design intention with regard to 2-player games, is allowing players the freedom of using Automata or not to simulate extra players, but also, allowing players to choose starting factions that begin the game closer or farther apart according to their preferences for more or less interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
MASK Crusaders... working overtime... fighting crime... fighting crime!!! Secret Raiders...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the expansions will change the 2 player experience very much. The ships in Wind Gambit will allow possibly a quicker movement options but won't drastically improve a 2 player experience. However, in saying that, I think Scythe is a good 2 player game. And you can add automa to the game. The automa actually is easy to add in without adding a lot of extra work. I like the automa system in Scythe a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
90% of my Scythe games are 2-player (other 10% are 3 player) and I am having a blast.

I've played it 4 and 5 players and it's amazing, no doubt. But for me 2-player Scythe is awesome and all the expansions add more to that.

It depends on your own preference. If you like the 2p game in the base game you will love it with the others. But if you don't like it in the base you won't like it with the expansions too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. B.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also in the 90-95% 2-player crowd. Given I play the game mainly with my wife, the reduced combat and resource stealing is actually a PLUS for us! It all depends on who you would be playing the 2-player game with. With Scythe, you can't go wrong. It's an amazing experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.