Subject: Do you consider digital games to be part of your collection? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today, a friend gifted me both Table Top Simulator and a digital copy of Scythe to go with it. I was really surprised as I've been wanting to try it and now I have the chance. Immediately the impulse kicked in, as it does every time I get a new board game acquisition, to head to BGG and add the game to my collection.

But it occurred to me: is this really part of my collection now? It's never going to be on display on my shelf and there are obviously no physical components to it. I realized that up until this point, I've never considered digital games to actually be part of my game collection. Why was it so different with Scythe now? Is it because I consider it a "serious" game whereas my other digital games are more casual fare?

So I decided to check out the versions for Scythe on the game listing and didn't notice a "digital version" as part of it. That made me think that the Geek itself does not feel that digital copies are on par with physical but I thought it might be interesting to see what my fellow BGGers think of this in our increasingly digital age.

Do you consider a digital copy of a game to be part of your "official" board game collection or must it be a physical game on the shelf?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't. I register them in VideoGameGeek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haynes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't, but most of the digital-copy of games that I own are of games that I already own. I enjoy playing SotM online, because it handles the bookkeeping for me and I don't need to worry about getting the boxes out, asking the wife to play with me, and the clean up. Also, makes playing Talisman a lot easier due to the sheer volume of cards the physical version has and I can play it with friends overseas or across the country.

Only reason I've debated about getting Table Top Simulator is to pretty much play with friends that don't live nearby, or to play something that I don't feel like pulling out of the closet and playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't.

Also I like Tabletop Simulator and Tabletopia because I can either play a game without dragging it out(though lately I've been preferring to play my hard copies), or I can try a game I'm thinking of getting to see if I like it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ha this time it doesn't depend on the game!....it depends on the user.
I see and understand plenty here that have the physical only attitude and it makes sense. For some its about physically having it, other times the digital implementation is lacking in the eyes of the user.

For me I ask myself can I give my copy of the game to someone to borrow as easily as a typical game? In my case that means if I have the game on my PC, no it is not in my bgg collection; if a game is on my tablet, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't, but I don't see an issue with it if someone wants to. Personal decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Scaggs
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't count the digital games that I have as part of my collection and I don't count those plays either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
I put them as games I've played so I have a record of unique games I've tried, but do not mark them as owned.

But for me and anyone else, it's your collection tool to use however works best for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
I will occasionally rate and comment on a digital port of a board game if I feel playing the digital game has given me a good approximation of what it would be like to play the tabletop version.

But no, I would not put it in my collection.

Edit: I don't log plays of digital boardgames even against human opponents. Nor do I do that for browser ports (brettspielwely, yucata, etc.). In theory, I think that's a fair thing to do. The problem is I've seen some games (short ones especially) get outsized "games played" statistics on here due to digital ports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not part of my collection, but I consider the game played and understood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Buckey
United States
Concord Twp
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny, as I was thinking about my response I realized that I don't count digital copies of games in my collection, but I do count them as plays when I finish a game against a human opponent. My reasoning is that I am playing the game against someone so it doesn't matter if it's a physical or digital version of the game. I don't register plays against AI though.

I guess the logic I used for recording plays could work for putting digital versions of games in the collection too...hmmmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not part of my collection, and I also don't track them in BG Stats. But I would agree that I'd consider them as "games I have played". I think I would still read the rulebook if I bought a game I'd only played digitally though. Sometimes digital versions gloss over specifics that are required on a table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiji Kobayashi
Japan
flag msg tools
I would probably consider them part of my video game collection. However . . .
n107 wrote:
Do you consider a digital copy of a game to be part of your "official" board game collection or must it be a physical game on the shelf?

I have several PnP games I've downloaded but never got around to printing. Do these count as part of my collection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I primarily use the "owned" tag so that I can tell at a glance if I have a game that I can bring to game night or put up for trade. Marking digital games would break that system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
No. In the past, I used to indicate in the comments section of a game in my Collection page if I owned a digital version of that title, but stopped doing that a while ago and removed all those notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
if I'm Andy, is Zack April? seems right...
badge
"When I get bummed out, I take my shirt off because the bad feelings make me feel sweaty."
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not unless I also own a physical copy of the game.

I DO count plays of them, though. If there is a direct physical-to-app version, I'll count the play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't consider them part of my collection, and I don't log plays for them.

Which is weird because if I paid for a game like Zelda for the Switch and only had the digital download, I would log that as owned in VGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PDF's yes computerised versions no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about solo only games, like Onirim? Functionally, playing the digital is the same as the physical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gaaloechild wrote:
No, I don't. I register them in VideoGameGeek.

Ditto. BGG for the physical games, VGG for a video game implementation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
No, no . . . a thousand times, no!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk K

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a rule I refuse to play digital versions of any game available in an original physical format, but I would not consider digital games part of your collection. I also don't count digital plays as plays of the actual game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk K

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mike6423 wrote:
I don't consider them part of my collection, and I don't log plays for them.

Which is weird because if I paid for a game like Zelda for the Switch and only had the digital download, I would log that as owned in VGG.

That's not weird at all. Zelda is a video game regardless if you're playing a physical copy or a download. A digital version of a board game is not a board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I count plays of digital games if they are analogous to the real game, but not ownership if I do not have a physical copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.